Tikka 695 - .275

Tikka 260

Another tribute to Ronin, for working some magic with a T695 donor action, and coming up with exactly what I had in mind from the outset; which was a traditional calibre stalking rifle made from modern and above all practical materials, which may be used anywhere I get the opportunity.

As stated it is a Tikka M695 action, 'trued' as much as a Tikka ever needs, which consisted of evening up the bolt lugs, and then the cosmetics of fluting and a bolt knob courtesy of 'Dasherman'.

The original barrel was removed and replaced with a LW 1400 profile C/M 1:9 twist, chambered for .275 Rigby HV, finished at 22", threaded ( in case I ever want to moderate the rifle) and an 'invisible' cap made to complete the barrel.

The original wood stock went off to someone else for a build, and it was replaced with a McM Sako Hunter pattern, in 33/33/33 Dark Brown/Black/Midbrown to give the "McWoody" appearance you see.

It was proofed at Birmingham, and then sent for blueing the barrel and action, which turned out very well IMHO, and makes a change from the Duracoated rifles already in the cabinet. The S & B Zenith 3 -12x50 is sitting in a pair of Optilocks for the time being, awaiting an Alphamount from Richard Near, which may be in Santas sack, ( I hope).

I had it out this afternoon for a first run, and it looks promising with 140 Gn NBT over a very moderate load of H414, Fed GM210 primers, RWS brass. I need to do some more work with seating depths to get it as good as I am sure it will shoot, but I have to admit to being impatient to get it shooting, and in any event it already is better than Minute of Roe. :)

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

So, Thanks to Ronin for his patience, and painstaking attention to detail, I think this is going to be a Keeper!

Best

Peter

Thats a cracking looking rifle....

Can we get a close up of the bluing please if poss ?

I also like that stock....

Though I think a `blued` steel ball would have suited the bolt and overall appearence of the rifle better....but thats just me... :rolleyes:

Hi there Tikka260

she sure is a beauty! well worth the wait! look forward to the follow-up pictures with the groups and the Roe :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that is nice :wub::wub:

Can,t wait to see some groups???

All the best, F2N ;)

Hi F2N

I've got it going into .35 MOA with 140 Gn NBT over RL19, just need to tweak seating depths a bit and it will then shoot as well as I am able. Even now, it hasnt fired a round at any stage that wouldn't = Dead Deer. .... and it is a delight to shoot with.

I'll post a group after I get back to the Range next week with it.

Best

P

Lovely looking rifle! McWoody is definitely the nicest pattern I've seen too IMO!! You say that the barrel and action was sent off for blueing, so what was it previously/can you still get blued barrels straight off the shelf?

Lovely looking rifle! McWoody is definitely the nicest pattern I've seen too IMO!! You say that the barrel and action was sent off for blueing, so what was it previously/can you still get blued barrels straight off the shelf?

I defer to Ronin, who masterminded the build and 3rd party input. It is a Lothar Walter Chrome Moly barrel, mated to a Tikka M695 action that was originally 'black steel'. After proofing and pillar bedding, it was blued as one unit. The result is as you see.

.......Further to post this lunchtime, I got a Roe Doe with it this pm, necked at 80m, spot on the money DRT.

The brief for the build was for a traditional looking stalking rifle in modern materials. I am convinced that Ronin understood the brief perfectly, 'cos that's what I have at the end of the day. ( my 7-08 is becoming redundant :rolleyes: ) I think it will be the Go To Rifle.

Not really, I shall re zero the 7-08 Sako with the moderator, and keep it for locations where moderators are obligatory, I just hate stalking with a 'can'.

Best

P

Now where does the .260 come in if you have moderated and un-moderated sorted :lol:

Ah Ha..... the .260 is also more accurate than I can normally shoot, I tend to keep it for summer roe stalking and foxing, using 100 or 120 Gners... I think I'll hang on to that for a while, but haven't used it for 6 months waiting for McM to replace a defective stock, which was recently delivered and bedded, courtesy of Dasherman, now waiting for the Near Alphamount to be ceracoated before I can get it working again.

Nice to have a 'spare' too. :rolleyes:

Not much logic in my choices, but ....heck , they suit me, and the stalking that I do.

Best

P

Archived