Time for a new .22

Time for a bit of shopping,

Over the last few months I seem to have taken my eye off the shooting ball.

All for good reasons, new posting with work and other bits and bobs.

As a result I feel the need to re-focus my shooting on a back to basics mission

and want to by the most accurate .22 rim fire hunting rifle I can get, also with a

top quality scope.

I would be keen to get some feed back from other members on there experiences and recommendations.

Kind Regards

Rob

Obviously bolt action goes without saying.

The usual culprits spring to mind .... Ansultz , Sako , and Savage rifles are all deadly accurate out of the box

CZ's accuracy is also excellent although the wood to metal fit and triggers occasionally need abit of attention.

I have a Sako Finfire , which is a loverly little rifle ... As accurate as I could wish and superb quality.

Think your going to have to endure mucho gun fondaling to see which one you prefer. :)

ATB

Alan

CZ 452 with a Timney trigger. Absolute tack drivers for a reasonable price. We have three of them under my roof right now.~Andrew

PS: Good for you with your determination to return to basics. Noting like a good .22 for that!

Hi LRCpt

I have a Sako Finnfire Varmint and an Anschutz XIV carbine. Nothing between them in the accuracy department but the Anschutz is better due to its compactness which makes it an excellent truck gun. That said I won the LR sporting competition in my club for the last 3 years running with it and that goes to show how accurate it is. And, did I mention you can still buy one? Finnfires are like hen's teeth and they do command a price similar to the new Anschutz anyway

as they say, the decision is yours!

best wishes,

Finman

Finnfires are the muts no doubt but can be hard to find and really hold their money.

I have a Quad with .17hmr & .22lr barrels. I have one scope ( Leup ) and simply redial when i change barrels. No loss of zero on the change..

Brilliant bit of kit..

SakoQuad.jpg

Well, I now have a CZ 452 Varmint with the ickle 16 inch barrel and it's the sweetest little thing to shoot. A proper truck gun, really pointable and more accurate than I am.

I have shot many bunnies over the 100 with it, furthest being pinged at 192.

I even like the trigger on it, I don't find the creep a problem. Just what I'm used to I suppose.

And the price meant that the missus was happy too!

As Lancs Lad says - it's a tool.

I love my Annie 64MPR - it has the Match 64 barrel & action, competition 2 stage trigger, but in a sporting stock. Bit heavy and I'm struggling to find a way of attaching a mod, but it's a joy to use & hyper accurate!

I love my Annie 64MPR - it has the Match 64 barrel & action, competition 2 stage trigger, but in a sporting stock. Bit heavy and I'm struggling to find a way of attaching a mod, but it's a joy to use & hyper accurate!

Sound very interesting that OLY , any chance of a picy???

cheers ANdy

Time for a bit of shopping,

Over the last few months I seem to have taken my eye off the shooting ball.

All for good reasons, new posting with work and other bits and bobs.

As a result I feel the need to re-focus my shooting on a back to basics mission

and want to by the most accurate .22 rim fire hunting rifle I can get, also with a

top quality scope.

I would be keen to get some feed back from other members on there experiences and recommendations.

Kind Regards

Rob

22 done on an AICS. Borden or Stiller or someone does a 22 action that fits. The crazy Jock bloke has one. V Nice.

22 done on an AICS. Borden or Stiller or someone does a 22 action that fits. The crazy Jock bloke has one. V Nice.

Close but by no means the real thing would be a CZ in a Staffordshire synthetics stock.

I have a cz 17hmr great accuracy but not pleasing to the eye, its the bolt I dont like. My Sako finnfire varmint is beautiful but costs twice as much scond hand.

A working rifle should not be beautiful.......

Cz 452 for me, it suits the rough and tumble that occurs during night time lamping forays without worrying about bumps or scratches.

Mine has survived 20+yrs of field abuse without problem so as a tool for that particular job it gets my vote.

At harvest time nowadays, the window between crop and plough is down to hours on some of our ground so no place for pretty rifles, no time to make sure you don't bump or scratch your favourite bunny rifle.

The biggest plus for me is the almost flush 5 rnd mags on the Cz, definitely an advantage on a truck gun.

Nice to own rifles = Annie or Sako.

Go to work rifle= Cz.

Pete.

... no place for pretty rifles, no time to make sure you don't bump or scratch your favourite bunny rifle.

Nice to own rifles = Annie or Sako.

Go to work rifle= Cz.

Pete.

Yeh, that's why I sold my Annie Pete- too pretty for real use.

Have some rough bolt guns that I don't care if they get scratched or the fully suppressed 10-22 with syn stock.

As you say, vehicle use can be rough

ChrisNZ

Look like it could be a choice between an Anchutz or a CZ Varmint, comps which is the most accurate ?

Are there any other contenders that are better ?

I plan on feeding the rifle Eley subs for hunting and Eley match for 25yd comps.

Kind Regards

Rob

Look like it could be a choice between an Anchutz or a CZ Varmint, comps which is the most accurate ?

Are there any other contenders that are better ?

I plan on feeding the rifle Eley subs for hunting and Eley match for 25yd comps.

Kind Regards

Rob

Get the Anschutz XIV Rob, you will not regret it! The trigger needs no work, it is handy, and it will do both jobs impecably well. Mine prints hole on hole at 50 yards with Eley Standards (I guess they now call them Sport or something like that- with Eley match, you won't even have to aim!), and is not any worse with the Eley Subs.

best wishes

Finman

Archived