.22LR semi auto

6.5shooter

Hi all,

I am wanting to get a semi auto again after a few years without one, I used to have a couple of .22 ruger semi custom builds but I don’t think I want to go down that road again. 
what about other custom builds?

how are the smith and wesson mp15 rifles with custom parts? Are they reliable and accurate? 

The rifle will be used for fun, steel plates and the likes but It has to be accurate and reliable. 
thanks. 

I love mine I dont think Ive had a fail to feed or eject and ive put about 1000 rnds through it

You'll struggle to be the 15-22 for value, "most" standard AR bits fit and you look about standard and tricked up ones some up for sale regularly. 

Alan

Thanks for the replies lads! 
does anyone know if Mark Bradley is still building ar .22’s. I know he had talked about stopping making them at one point. 
Any preferences over BAR 22, Lantac, calibre innovations or NWCP rifles?

1 hour ago, 6.5shooter said:

does anyone know if Mark Bradley is still building ar .22’s. I know he had talked about stopping making them at one point. 

Mark died a few years ago, someone did take over the business, not sure if he's still building .22 though.

your kind of at two ends of the spectrum  15/22  versus full build (i would choose valkerie rifles )  budget is going to be the key really

Sig 522 works well  if you like 'different' maybe a Beryl  ...

1 hour ago, 20series said:

Mark died a few years ago, someone did take over the business, not sure if he's still building .22 though.

Still build .22's based on CMMG barrels & kits, but the original BAR22 barrels with the feed ramps built in were CNC'd for Mark by a company that shut down so they aren't available anymore...

17 hours ago, 6.5shooter said:

I’ll say this - I had a Lantac Stealth Raven on order for well over a year and I ended up cancelling and got a NWCP. More than happy with my choice. I hear the Lantacs are excellent rifles but their customer service was shocking, zero updates on timelines unless you asked (and I’m talking 4-5 months without even a courtesy email) and when you did they basically didn’t have a ball park date or month for you. 

14 hours ago, Dellboy said:

your kind of at two ends of the spectrum  15/22  versus full build (i would choose valkerie rifles )  budget is going to be the key really

Sig 522 works well  if you like 'different' maybe a Beryl  ...

Didn’t know Dave dabbled in .22LR AR’s? I’ve got a straight pull .223 off him and know that’s one of his specialities but I’ve never seen him post a .22LR build on Facebook or anything amongst all the centrefires he builds. Would recommend him any day, only had 1 dealing with him but what a lovely bloke, with solid advice and communication.

10 hours ago, JDT said:

I’ll say this - I had a Lantac Stealth Raven on order for well over a year and I ended up cancelling and got a NWCP. More than happy with my choice. I hear the Lantacs are excellent rifles but their customer service was shocking, zero updates on timelines unless you asked (and I’m talking 4-5 months without even a courtesy email) and when you did they basically didn’t have a ball park date or month for you. 

Didn’t know Dave dabbled in .22LR AR’s? I’ve got a straight pull .223 off him and know that’s one of his specialities but I’ve never seen him post a .22LR build on Facebook or anything amongst all the centrefires he builds. Would recommend him any day, only had 1 dealing with him but what a lovely bloke, with solid advice and communication.

ive had 2 rifles from him  the AK he did as a bet(

and a straight pull 223  i have asked for a 22lr and he didnt say no .... oh and a 6.5 cm barrel for my AI  .

and Dave is 4.5 hours away  ....

That AK is certainly interesting, especially after a read through my the thread!

I have a slightly left field suggestion rather than an AR layout. Have you thought of a PCC layout?

if so you won’t go far wrong with a Grand Power Taranis 22 (Stribog TR22 if you check the GP a website).

It’s purpose built .22lr training version of their 9mm PPC Stribog and is available in the UK in 12”and 15” barreled versions. I have a 12” (non folder) version and it’s the closest thing you will get to a B&T APC9 or an H&K MP5 that works in .22lr. 

I use mine for  mini rifle and 3gun and it’s plenty accurate enough out 100 and with SK Semi auto ammo is boringly (according to others) accurate and 100% cycling…. The pic is with the OEM stock I now have a Magpul Zhukov stock with a +1/2” cheek riser that gives me 100% reliable cheek weld. 

What more do you want. 

F2B1A5EC-A46A-49BC-8627-B3C6CAD8C9AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Burpster said:

I have a slightly left field suggestion rather than an AR layout. Have you thought of a PCC layout?

if so you won’t go far wrong with a Grand Power Taranis 22 (Stribog TR22 if you check the GP a website).

It’s purpose built .22lr training version of their 9mm PPC Stribog and is available in the UK in 12”and 15” barreled versions. I have a 12” (non folder) version and it’s the closest thing you will get to a B&T APC9 or an H&K MP5 that works in .22lr. 

I use mine for  mini rifle and 3gun and it’s plenty accurate enough out 100 and with SK Semi auto ammo is boringly (according to others) accurate and 100% cycling…. The pic is with the OEM stock I now have a Magpul Zhukov stock with a +1/2” cheek riser that gives me 100% reliable cheek weld. 

What more do you want. 

F2B1A5EC-A46A-49BC-8627-B3C6CAD8C9AE.jpeg

That is superb

I have Lantac, Kriss Defiance and used smith and wesson, NWCP as well.

Lantac is top of the list in AR platform with built quality and performance, but the customer service is not the greatest, they wont give you any updates as already mentioned by other members.

Kriss Defiance is the second best rifle out there, it gives you option to change 10/22 barrel.

NWCP is ok for the price, but built quality is no way near Lantac,, but Wyane is a gentleman.

Smith and wesson is a budget gun, good and reliable, but not accurate.

All depends what you want to use it for.

There is no gun out there to beat ruger 10/22 though.

14 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

That is superb

Thank you, biggest unkept secret in .22lr semis IMHO… 

Feels like an old friend from the first time you pick one up. Forward (changeable or double sided) non-reciprocating cocking handle won it for me. You can keep eyes on and cock/clear/cycle. 

They are stupidly accurate as described. They run eley subs through to mini mags without issue.

Otto at Cotswold classic arms is the man to speak to.

if you don’t want one of these then you can get an aero precision build cmmg or a battle arms cmmg but the battle arms are spendy 

I went for an aero enhanced and couldn’t be happier 

(would repeat that the Tippman is still more reliable than any cmmg.22lr)

Personally I like the AR platform, as others have said the S&W is hard to beat value wise, reliable and OK accuracy for their intended purpose.

After the demise of Mr Bradley I had a rifle built but Keystone Accuracy in the US who also cuts the chamber and extractor slots into the barrel, I free issued a 2 groove Benchmark blank to him as I wanted a bit more weight up front to balance the (heavy) Magoul stock.

Very reliable and accurate rifle

3102099A-CB2C-4CF0-8D36-3C1646BF8B49.thumb.jpeg.76209309e4a485bca76b1420ce13454d.jpegCD28BEB9-9D2E-4F92-999B-D4B831BC053A.thumb.jpeg.4169352c6b02a7e1980b97dbb12f2762.jpeg50m results with various ammo types, shot in a cadence not BR style, feeds well using S&W magazines with the spaced pad, locks open on last round consistently.

• 2 months later...

Another vote for Lantac - I have a Raven and it runs like nothing else I have seen in terms of .22 ARs. Quality is incredible but the cost matches. If I was buying new I would suggest a LASF-15 and then add the parts you want. 

That said, I still like using my Sig 522. I know you said about moving away from a Ruger, but for steel plates they are king!