Pre Priming Brass

Malinois

surely that would depend on the environment.  Primers are in a cardboard sleeve over plastic,  if the primed brass is in an equally benign environment I can't see the issue.

Having said all that, in Staffs primed brass is counted as "live ammo" against the FAC allowance:  I can't see the reason to do it.

As observed if the primed brass is stored sensibly what technical issues are there?

- but re. PbG's comment re. being classed as live rounds, I'd heard of this but never seen it in print so to speak. Is this listed on HO recommendations or yet another local plod decision?

T

....and sort of follows into the current consultation process re. possessing components in qtys larger than listed on your certificate 'with the intent' etc?

Never did get to the bottom of this/see an outcome.

16 hours ago, Malinois said:

I was having a discussion with a friend today re pre priming case (seating the primer long before the round is assembled). 
he said he would never do it for fear they degrade. 

Any thoughts on this?

Degradation is not an issue. However forgetting which primer they are is an issue to me. I see no benefit in priming ahead of reloading.

Regards 

JCS 

As has been said already, there is no issue with priming brass ahead of time. They don’t degrade. 
I personally love to prime ahead of time, I do it with all my brass. I buy primers in big bulk and I’ll prime a quantity of brass if there’s something particularly slow on tv. It reduces the time spent loading actual rounds, which is helpful for me.

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

As has been said already, there is no issue with priming brass ahead of time. They don’t degrade. 
I personally love to prime ahead of time, I do it with all my brass. I buy primers in big bulk and I’ll prime a quantity of brass if there’s something particularly slow on tv. It reduces the time spent loading actual rounds, which is helpful for me.

Ditto:  I also find i make less mistakes if i load in stages.

15 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Ditto:  I also find i make less mistakes if i load in stages.

Yeah, absolutely. Because I don’t have the space for a permanent reloading setup, getting everything set up and packed away afterwards takes time. Anything to save time making rounds is helpful. I find Trying to do everything in one session makes me want to rush, and I have made mistakes in the past as a result. So batching operations is best for me!

3 hours ago, terryh said:

As observed if the primed brass is stored sensibly what technical issues are there?

- but re. PbG's comment re. being classed as live rounds, I'd heard of this but never seen it in print so to speak. Is this listed on HO recommendations or yet another local plod decision?

T

....and sort of follows into the current consultation process re. possessing components in qtys larger than listed on your certificate 'with the intent' etc?

Never did get to the bottom of this/see an outcome.

Lincolnshire class primed case as live . And have done for as long as I can remember (35 yrs ) 

2 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

Not sure how that works tbh a primed case is essentially a blank ergo non controlled?

There was a court case (reported on another forum some time back). The judge found that a manufactured blank is just that - a blank and therefore ok;  but a primed case showed intent to manufacture a live round and is not a blank.   I'm not commenting on the judgement right or wrong, it's for the courts.

I have no idea what the actual law is but if someone wants to go ahead and make sufficient rounds to perhaps create a test case - well that would do us all a favour in clarifying the law.  As has been said here at least two police forces count primed cases towards any allowed number and by extension any primed case for a calibre not approved would be as serious as holding a live round not authorised.

I choose to apply the caution principle and stick to our "local" ruling  - ultimately right or wrong.  A moot point for me as I only make up rounds that I expect to shoot in the near future as I chop and change 'recipes' anyway.

Not wise to butt heads with the authorities unless you have sufficient resources to fight a court case and expect to win.

Ok, thanks for replies. Putting legality to one side and in my own case I own less brass than I have authority to own in live assembled ammo. I was discussing this with a friend and his only point is degradation. He said that he would never do this but coached someone who did who was getting spotty results with his velocities. As soon as he began to prime and load in the same action the ES got better.

Me, I think something else was changed at the same time. I have pointed out that primers would come sealed if there was an issue. 

I'd be interested to know what authorities on the subject think. The likes of Laurie and Vince etc?

16 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Lincolnshire class primed case as live . And have done for as long as I can remember (35 yrs ) 

12 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

There was a court case (reported on another forum some time back). The judge found that a manufactured blank is just that - a blank and therefore ok; ...

I believe (if it was the same case I remember reading) that the primed case was considered a live round if in a public place. So if you don't have a lawful reason for it to be about your person when walking down the street (eg) then that is when the offence is committed. I cannot seem to find the case reference just now but I have a few more places to search.

As such it isn't a live round when sitting on your loading bench and shouldn't go against your hold limit.