Scenar vs Scenar L

gyr

I am sorry if this topic has been covered but could not find the thread.

I have seen a post where Laurie said the US Lapua team could not find a good load for the 6,5 136L  some years ago . 

Apart from the slight price difference, are the L´s better or more finicky to tune?

The 136 has a lower BC than the 139 , and the 155´s seem to be similar.

139´s are still available and they have worked well for me in the past in 6,5 x 55 and 65-284. Old 155´s seem harder to find.

So is it worth to change?

thanks

I have a very good load for my 6.5x47 using 136 grain Scenar "L"'s : 2.63 grms RS60, KVB-223M primer, Lapua case, COL 70.0mm.

The 123 grain Scenar also gives very good results using 2.5 grms of RS50 powder.

Barrel is 760mm length, 1:8 twist.

Usual caveats apply.......

Pete

Thanks.

Re Pete, curious you give load in grams? I am used to imperial units for reloading 😉

just need to know how the 136 compares, so it seems they will have the same degree of consistency?

I use an old Mettler laboratory balance for weighing powder, which weighs in grams to 3 decimal places. (0.001grams or 0.015 grains). I was an analytical chemist, back in the day...............

The 136 Scenar "L"s are very consistent in weight and length.

Pete

Get them here: https://www.hunting-sport.com/Lapua-264-136gr-Scenar-L-1000-St_2

Their prices were the best I could find, and as you're in the EU, you can still take advantage of this.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, Re-Pete said:

Get them here: https://www.hunting-sport.com/Lapua-264-136gr-Scenar-L-1000-St_2

Their prices were the best I could find, and as you're in the EU, you can still take advantage of this.

Pete

just a heads up for uk people. He refuses to ship to UK now. Copy paste from an email he sent me after refusing to sell me an order I placed and inquired why he wouldn’t fulfill the order.

I see  you mentioned the op is still Europe so you may know already.

“it is still possible, but we will stop shipping to UK. Process will be to complicated in the future.

We only ship to european countries which does not need documents or customs delcaration etc.

Sorry.”

• 1 month later...

Hi guys 

regarding Scenar normals versus the “L” version. Only used them in 308 / 155 grain, but the “L” is definitely more pointed at the tip and has a smaller hole up the tip . It looks similar to a bullet that’s been through a pointing die . Hole size is half or better than the scenar normal .

Viht web page for loading data in 308 I’ve found to be very conservative by upto 2 grains ie I’ve gone +2 grains over max and still no signs of overpressure.

As always build up your loads 

cheers 

Bad news is the .30 155 Scenar are no longer made.

I spoke to Erkki Seikkula at Nammo regarding this, he suggested switching to Scenar L but was very surprised at the 25-30% price difference here.

With many suppliers in Europe no longer willing to ship to the UK it looks like shooting will be a lot more expensive.

2 hours ago, phaedra1106uk said:

Bad news is the .30 155 Scenar are no longer made.

I spoke to Erkki Seikkula at Nammo regarding this, he suggested switching to Scenar L but was very surprised at the 25-30% price difference here.

With many suppliers in Europe no longer willing to ship to the UK it looks like shooting will be a lot more expensive.

Yeah I’ve always scratched my head over this. Why & how are all the Lapua distributors on the continent (looked at various German, French, Italian and Spanish) able offer their products at a 20-30% lower price when compared to the U.K. distributor?