.22 rimfire barrel tuner

Hello all

Has anyone tried a barrel tuner on a rimfire rifle. 

Just thinking that as with most if not all rimfire rifles they have there favourite ammo, so what if you have a preferred ammo that doesn't shoot the best in your rifle,  would a tuner improve your groups

Different batches of the same make of 22 will perform very differently, hence why Eley and other manufacturers offer batch testing.  That said when I was shooting prone small-bore I always went with RWS R50 as I found it consistent.    Another way to vary results is to play with bedding bolt torques.

Bench rest shooters seem to use barrel tuners to tweek even further. 

Alan

Mk2

put a Harrels on a Annie MPR, used the Purdey method to start with . Found it produced more ‘round’ groups in an already accurate rifle. Does take a bit of setting up initially

As stated you find the make of ammo your rifle liked then improve on that.

Will be fitting a particle damper on the new 22rf build.

T

Yes, had a play with tuners. I would really like to do some proper testing at 50/100 yards in a tunnel range, unfortunately nothing locally available. Yes, tuners do definitely have an effect, I'm really surprised they have not really caught on over here. In the US 95% of all .22lr benchrest shooters use them.

This is one I designed to fit between the barrel and moderator.:

vM0esUxm.png

mTFeRNlm.jpg?1

43 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Yes, had a play with tuners. I would really like to do some proper testing at 50/100 yards in a tunnel range, unfortunately nothing locally available. Yes, tuners do definitely have an effect, I'm really surprised they have not really caught on over here. In the US 95% of all .22lr benchrest shooters use them.

This is one I designed to fit between the barrel and moderator.:

vM0esUxm.png

mTFeRNlm.jpg?1

That looks interesting are they available to purchase 

1 hour ago, terryh said:

Mk2

put a Harrels on a Annie MPR, used the Purdey method to start with . Found it produced more ‘round’ groups in an already accurate rifle. Does take a bit of setting up initially

As stated you find the make of ammo your rifle liked then improve on that.

Will be fitting a particle damper on the new 22rf build.

T

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is a particle damper 

• 2 months later...

I tried the sharpshooter x ring barrel deresonator today for a play..

I only had 42gr winnie subs as they were the best out of a bad bunch of hunting hollow points..

50yds test and 4 shot groups, rear bag and a Harris bipod.

I started of the rubber tuner touching the mod and moved the tuner back 5mm for each group..

The group's did open up but never shot any spectacular groups either..

The group's that shot the best wernt repeatable..

I took tuner off and shot the last few groups not shown and on average they shot the best..

I ran out of target stickers so that's as far as I could take it..

I definately need to try some target ammo to see how well it can shoot. The old eley extra hollow subs did shoot way better than the 42gr winnie subs

20210124_142752.jpg

If you want to get the best out of your rimfire ammo and dont want to spend your money on something like Eley Tenex then try sorting them by rimthickness.

Yes its a bit of a ball ache and takes a while but the ammo will end up in a few noticable heaps.  Zero your rifle for the heap you wish to shoot.  Any real oddball rounds can be kept for foulers or plinking.  Rim thicknessing gets rid of the odd unexplainable flyer in your groups.

I have had particular success doing this with 17HMR ammo

I'd be happy to spend more money on ammo for better accuracy..

How do the likes of tenex perform on vermin..?

I think I've tried most 22 hunting subs and there a pile of poo.

What increments do you batch the rims in..?

I am prepared to try this method out of curiosity.

56 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I'd be happy to spend more money on ammo for better accuracy..

I think I've tried most 22 hunting subs and there a pile of poo.

What increments do you batch the rims in..?

I am prepared to try this method out of curiosity.

Neil .. 
I used Eley match on vermin and I can’t tell the difference in kill between them and Eley HP extra subs , they have the same semi flat head as the tenex . 
however if you want really accurate HP subs try the RWS field line subs , very very accurate! 

also mark ( foxshooter ) has a good point , and the hornaday rim thickness gauges do work very well , but like he said it’s a bit of a mare . But ..... if you have the patience you can see some massive improvements even with rubbish ammo . 

15 hours ago, No i deer said:

Ive shot literally thousands of rabbits using SK Standard match ammo as thats what my rifle is most accurate with., if Tenex works in your gun then the results will be the same.

With correctly placed head shots they all roll over the same with match ammo but you cant chest shoot them the way you can with Eley or Winchester subs. if required.

I tend to use the match ammo when Im shooting from supported positions in the summer and at longer ranges, 100yd head shots are easy enough in decent conditions during the summer. As the winter and bad weather comes and I end up on the lamp and in the wind etc I go back to Eley subs, not as accurate but more forgiving of a misplaced shot.

I don't know what rifle you have and how it's bedded but if you've a torque screwdriver you should try altering the tension on the bedding bolts from say 3.5nm up to 6nm.   Every rimfire I've had, I've tested in this way and each had a definite preference for a specific value.   One in particular, an Anschutz 1411, shot all the four or five different types of ammo I tried best at 6nm.  Another, a 1712 shot best at 5nm, 54MS, 5.5nm, Kimber 82, 5.5nm.  These had all been pillar bedded, stress free, I guess it's down to the harmonics of the action/barrel.   The other thing with rimfires, the expensive match ammo doesn't always shoot the best.  I once found a Mexican made Aguila shot far better than the Lapua Polar Biathalon I had been using.   I bought as much as the Aguila as I could find and sold the Lapua.

I think its the mk1 CZ452.

Probaly over 20 years I've owned it.  Had it from new..

One of the action screws is on the barrel a few inches out from the chamber..

Not sure how this affects the barrel but the old eleys subs would shoot touching bullets or better.

I've no I deer what torque setting the screws are done up..

Knowing me very tight lol

I do have a torqueleader wrench now so I could check it..

Any I deer what CZ recommend for their torque setting on the action screws..?

I'm finding SK standard match shoots really well out of my Anschutz 1761.

Normally my go to round is Eley Club or Match, but the SK stuff is noticeably better. Especially at distance.

Good thing is that it is nowhere near the price of Eley match. 

Fancy trying the SK long range next as it's meant to be great for longer shots obviously.