Will my set up reach out to 1000 yards??

chaz

Hi folks.

Please humor me for this one... I have a Tikka T3 TAC A1 with an Apex zero MOA Picatinny rail for the scope to clear the rail. Held down with a Tikka specific 4 screw fitment.

My scope is Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50. Which has 65 MOA adjustment. It's zero'd at 100 yards, and shoots the Sierra 130 TMK, and Hornady 143 ELD-X at around 2800 fps more or less .

With this set-up, am i going to be able to reach out to 1000 yards? And if so, would i have much to spare?? But If not, how far short would i be?

Would a 10 MOA rail do the trick, and enable me to keep my 100yard zero?

Thanks

Jamie.

Jamie , You should have approx 50% of your scopes travel left if it was zeroed on a flat rail and rings etc so I would go for a 30 moa rail / rings combo or 20 moa as a minimum . If it is possible to zero on whatever rings / rail you already have then by counting what moa is under your 100 yard zero will tell exactly what you'll need to max out the scopes travel .

OSOK

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes it's a 6.5CM, and the powder i'm currently using is Vhit N150, but will be moving over to one of the Swiss RS powders in a couple of months.

I'll check what travel i have left tomorrow. I'd like to keep the 100 yard zero if possible.

Thanks again.

Chaz.

Read this:

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/05/6-5-creedmoor-load-development-sierra-130-grain-tipped-matchking-tmk-with-h4350-varget-reloader-15-and-reloader-17/

The Sierra TMK 130 will be going at 1332 fps at 1000yds and will need 32.5 MOA increase in elevation over your 100yd zero. (This is according to Litz's Applied Ballistics calculator)

We shoot 136 grain Scenars at 2940 fps from a 6.5x47  lapua using RS 60 (aka Rel 17), and they will comfortably make 1000 and beyond. RS 60 may toast your barrel, though..............

Pete

I my 6.5x47 with 41grs of RS62 behind the 139gr scenar shot the same elevations as 39.8grs of H4350 with the same bullet. I've not chronied the RS 62 load yet. I think the H4350 shot just over 2800fps from 27 inch barrel

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the further info.

To answer the question of how many minutes i have left after a 100 yard zero, it was 63 minutes to use for elevation. Is it a 1000 yard gun already??

I read your link Pete. It's quite ironic really, as i already have a really nice load/group using the Lapua brass, N150 ,130 TMK, and the Murom small rifle  KVB Magnum primers.

One on top of two, thank's for the offer of the data, when the N150 runs out i'll give you a shout.

That's again for the replies.

Chaz

2 minutes ago, chaz said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the further info.

To answer the question of how many minutes i have left after a 100 yard zero, it was 63 minutes to use for elevation. Is it a 1000 yard gun already??

I read your link Pete. It's quite ironic really, as i already have a really nice load/group using the Lapua brass, N150 ,130 TMK, and the Murom small rifle  KVB Magnum primers.

One on top of two, thank's for the offer of the data, when the N150 runs out i'll give you a shout.

That's again for the replies.

Chaz

If it’s any use , your welcome . 

Chaz, if you're saying that you have 63moa left after zeroing, then yes, you will easily stretch to 1000yds and beyond.  I'm a little confused by this though as I thought that the Viper had a total elevation range of 65moa, so on a level rail I would have expect half, or less (depending on height above barrel) of that would be available and would have recommended a 30moa rail.  I shoot a 139 Lap scenar bullet at 2700fps from the same rifle and that has no problem being surprisingly accurate at 1000yds.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, chaz said:

With the scope your running you would need a 30MOA rail or rings to have 63MOA useable.

I have a Tikka CTR Creedmoor and use a Vortex Viper Gen II 5-25X. As soon as i got the rifle I installed a 20 MOA base just to negate any potential elevation problems. It worked. I can pound paint on a 1 MOA gong at 1000 using the Nosler 130 grain RDF. ~Andrew

Archived