FTR scope

johngarnett

Hi folks,

Some info please.

I'm contemplating 'investing' in a top end scope for FTR, out to 1k.

After a while of searching and trying different scopes I realise I want Zero Stop, re-zeroable turrets, preferably both windage and elevation. ( I realise all turrets can be reset by Allen screws but I want spring loaded) I also want a windage turret marked R and L, 0-10 each way.

The Nightforce Competitor and the March 5-32x52 look to fit the bill.

Please do any owners have any words of wisdom regarding the scope and my requirements?

Thank you

JohnG

This thread could be useful: 

http://ukvarminting.com/topic/42005-schmidt-bender-12~50-x56/

Since then, my mate has taken delivery of his second Kahles 1050 with the new MOAK for F/Open and is a very happy bunny. He also owns a March 10-60 on his second rig and will keep it,) and claims that the  Field of Vision is a tick brighter with the Kahles.

In FTR one tends to see mostly Marches (various models), Nightforce Competitions and the odd Leupold on the line but the Kahles could become a new contender at the expense of slightly higher weight.

I can't afford Vortex Golden Eagles, never mind March scopes!   :(

I have five Sightron 8-32X56 Series III scopes acquired over the years with two reticles alongside some older Nightforces and have never felt any need to upgrade. No zero stops. (What they?) and with 15-MOA per turn on both windage and elevation, I've never 'got lost' and have only had to move onto an extra windage turn on a handful of occasions that I could count on the fingers of one hand in 223 and 308 FTR shooting as well as F-Open.

A lot depends on what settings you run the scope at. Many people want to run at 40X or 50X plus all the time, and much of that is driven by American competition (string shooting) and conditions (clear, dry air). I do most of my F shooting at ~20-22X and use the added FOV to (a) avoid cross-shooting, and (b) to be able to see the last shot on the target on each side, an excellent guide to short-term wind changes. For string shooting and shooting on electronic targets, higher magnifications are often valuable if the atmospheric conditions allow you to use them - Blair Atholl is the only UK range where the full 32-power is my default setting.

Russell Simmonds, former FTR World Champion (2009) and runner-up World Champion (2013) as well as GB champion on several occasions, runs his scope setting at 18X, so 60-80 power glass isn't an essential.

We found early on in our shooting careers that we get our best results with 15-20 X magnification.

Re-Pete

1 minute ago, meles meles said:

RM snipers seem to manage fine out to 1000 mards with a fixed power x10 scope.

Nope

The AW in 7.62  had a PM II in 3-12x50 and the L115 .338 has the 5-25x56

I've got rid of all my high mag scopes and when I shot the 800-1000 matches at the Phoenix meting the last 2 years I used my 1.5-8x26 on 4.5x

It was more than adequate, and the only issue was seeing the spotting discs

Magnification is over-rated

Ian (Elwood) makes a very valid mention of scope weight in the desirable mix. This is important too as the rifle is built within an overall weight ceiling. The less that the stock, bipod and scope weigh, the longer / heavier the barrel can be and the heavier / stiffer the receiver.

I know several top FTR competitors who switched to March when they first appeared not because they needed the extra 20X magnification or other benefits, but to save five or six ounces, that was promptly put back into the barrel profile on the next rebuild.

If somebody could produce an FTR scope that was adequate optically and in reliability, but only weighed a few ounces, it would sell like hot cakes almost irrespective of price. That's one reason why Nightforce NXS and BR scopes, and even more so Schmidt & Bender PMIIs, are rarities on serious FTR builds for national level competition these days.

I use from 25 up to 32 mag for out to 1000yds.its not really for aiming it's more for spotting the markers on the fig11s.they have tan colour shading that when the sun.is on the target for my eyes the orange can blend in to the tan and I can't see them which is very frustrating.on a roundal I can see them just fine.i have 2x s3 32 mag sightrons and like them.after using them and switch over to my 6.5x47 which has a 25 mag mk4 Leupold on that seems that much further away making orange markers even harder for me to see.we our spoilt for choice with high mag scopes.plenty advice and opinions on Ukv.atb No I deer

5 hours ago, Elwood said:

For a out and out FTR scope taking into consideration weight, optics and zero stop the best scope you can buy is the March 10-60x50, with either the MTR-2 or MTR-1 ret.

Agreed - the March is hard to beat - if it wasn't for the price, everyone would have one.

For competition F Open or FTR you need between 32x and 40x  . Nightforce Competition would be a good scope to use as when i looked through it ..... It blew both my 10-60 March and 12-42 NXS away in both resolution and brightness IMHO

OSOK

Guys, thank you all. Useful info, as always.

I really think I need 'zero reset' (without Allen screws) and R and L marked windage but could forgo the magnification. 

I did the Phoenix FTR and found I'd wound the mag back to 25x!!

Back to the drawing board!!

JohnG

Here ya go Laurie.

My home made zero stop on my S3 32 mag sightrons.

It's the plastic ring off a cola bottle that the lid seal is attached to that breaks when you open bottle first time.rubbed it down to correct depth to sit under the turret and it goes 1 click past.its not pretty and something engineered in metal would be better but it didn' cost a penny and it works perfect.in the photo ive just noticed got 1 click in.atb No I deer

Guys, I think I've got Zero Stop confused!! I meant, to have turrets that can be reset to zero by lifting or pressing. Then dial in the settings for fixed distances. My true zero may vary a bit and I wanted to be able to easily adjust the turret to allow it to be on '0' without resorting to Allen keys.

Thanks again

JohnG

Archived