Huge increase in bullet prices

Shootersam

Unfortunately  the drastic drop in our currency value post Brexit is now being felt. Suppliers are having to re-order product and the weaker pound just isn't worth what it was, add in some inflation and a normal price increase and this is the situation we are now in.

7 minutes ago, Shootersam said:

cant keep going the way its going surely.

Why not? 

Most people shoot as a hobby not a job, but it's a serious hobby - think of the amount of effort needed to obtain and keep an FAC.

If you want to continue with your hobby then you'll pay the going price for the bits you need.

Cheers

Bruce

1 hour ago, Shootersam said:

cant keep going the way its going surely.

It's been going this way for years, people just haven't noticed it.

I remember not many years ago when I could buy 73gn Bergers for £16/100, now they're nearly £30

In fact when I started in this shooting lark in 1996, I could buy 5.56 RG for £12/100 and 7.62 for £14/100, and I thought £18/100, then £20/100 then £28/100 was expensive for loaded ammo

Nowadays people don't even bat an eyelid when it's north of £60 and even £1/rd

Right then, let's say that my bullets have gone up by 8.5p each* as well:

I drive a 40 mile round trip to my club, so that's a gallon of diesel - £5.33.

I pay range fees - £8.

I then shoot 24 rounds for a full course of fire - I'm estimating my reloading currently to be 65p/rd, so £15.60.

Disregarding the titanic sunk costs in equipment, that means a day's shooting costs me £29. The increase in bullet prices would add (24*8.5p) £2.04 to that - 7%.

* They haven't, they've gone up more as Hornady have discontinued A-Max in my calibre and put in another price increase because of the "new" ELD-Match line...

I think everyone has a point at which they say "enough is enough". Take a look at the amount of pubs that are shutting down everywhere (I know, I know. its a different matter) but its not because everyone is suddenly on a health kick is it? Its mainly because the prices are going up & up all the time (3 times in the last year at my local). Result = neither I, nor most of my friends, go there as much as we once did, ultimately meaning that one day my local may follow suit and close as its commercially nonviable to keep it open. So please don't think that it doesn't apply to the shooting industry, because it surely can. 

Lets see what we can do to make sure that shooting is not just a sport for the wealthy, while at the same time driving new blood away. Think about it, our government has to build a lot of new houses, and I don't think they'll be closing golf courses anytime soon, but ranges....thats a different matter.

Just my tuppence worth.

3 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

They only way if you can afford it is to buy in bulk if it’s permitted.

If you can find what you want and the price is acceptable, then there's no limit on how many bullets you can possess (unless they're one of the very few calibres which the Home Office deem as pistol only).

Cheers

Bruce

7 minutes ago, Nick 53 said:

Out of curiosity is there a limit on primers and powder?

Cheers nick 

As far as I'm aware, there's no limit on primers, but without an explosives licence I think the limit for powder is 10Kg

Cheers

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

The price of reloading consumables has gotten to the point where I kind of wish I'd never invested in all the reloading kit in the first place.

2-3 years ago I was paying £27 for 100 heads. Now it's almost double that.

I appreciate that Brexit has goosed the exchange rates – but not to that extent. I suspect that there are people in the supply line that are using Brexit as an excuse to fatten their own margins.

As the old saying goes... it's the profit that makes it expensive!

Wonder why theres not a uk firm making bullet in the most popular caliber , that would equal say sierra or Hornady in quality . We make barrel and actions now so bit miffed why no big company could surly enter this field and come out trumps the other side ? Wat about spud bulletz or baldy bulletz lol :lol:

Spud bulletz? Never in stock then?

As to making actions and barrels not bullets - we as a nation are miserable gits. Any venture into making jacketed bullets in the UK would be relatively small, while being very heavy on investment. Output would be small in comparison to the big boys in America, and prices would be mad. And don't kid yourself into thinking people would 'buy British'. If it cost a quid more to buy domestically made bullets people would still buy the Hornady's or Sierra's.

One of the problems you have is how people in the UK operate, it's really a case of every man for himself.

A few years ago when the supply of Tactical style bolt knobs dried up from Badger, I set about getting a couple of hundred made, sent some out to some RFDs and posted about them on several forums.

The response was along the lines of "That's a bloody good idea, I think I'll get some made up as well"

So there you have it. It was the same with rifle actions, instead of banding together and getting more made at a better price, several people went off in their own direction and had their own made, which at the end of it all were all basically the same.

Then there was bottom metals....and don't get me started on my charging handles

Fact is, if someone were to start making bullets, instead of others buying from them, they'd go off and do it themselves.....or consider the idea at the very least

Archived