Which .308 - please vote

David Hancock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK Swaro, I'll qualify "Remington never" as being somewhat harsh. I should have said personally never again, and never to pay good money for a "semi-custom", had a bolt which made a Zetor tractor gearbox seem well engineered and the guaranteed MOA claim was actually over 5 inches.

I really got mugged over on that purchase.

To be honest, as much as the new Tikka T3x's are improved, the stocks are frankly really poorly finished. The Browning looks and feels terrific, is £250 cheaper but I love the silk bolt on the M12.[/quote

David,unfortunate bad experience- I'd tend to conclude "I won't buy from that guy again,maybe anyone wihout test shooting' rather than exclude Remington forever.

I do agree that if semi custom means a non standard bolt knob etc,,it is unrealistic to expect an improvement in precision shooting.

Mainly,precision is a premium barrel thing...not miscellaneous 'bling'.

gbal

Gbal. I paid for an accurised and blueprinted action, original barrel replaced, recrown etc, etc, with a guaranteed MOA but it was an absolute pig. We all learn a salutory lesson in life but not from a named "smith".

Swaro, I have a Howa 1500 in .223, 20" HB fluted. Laminated varminter stock. Shoots 40gn to 55gn very well. DNZ rail and reworked trigger. Love it.

A lot of brands are using the GRS (£615) stocks as an option

Wanted something different this time - respecting the magic Baldie et al work on Rem 700's.

The Beserks look and feel good and value for money. I'm a leftie - though uninletted LH GRS laminated stocks can be ordered from GRS / Highland Outdoors to accommodate a RH action - so much as the Tikka CTR was a close contender, another £400 will go into the scope for the Mauser initially. All my rifles are RH action.

I paid for an accurised and blueprinted action, original barrel replaced, recrown etc, etc, with a guaranteed MOA but it was an absolute pig. We all learn a salutory lesson in life but not from a named "smith".

So what happened when you called their 'guarantee'?

Don't see why you are being so discrete, they can't sue you - the truth is a defence in the law.

• 2 weeks later...

Edi. Happy New Year to you. In a .308 I won't be shooting it out soon (famous last words) but I do not consider the rebarrel issue. If it went in, it will come out !! ??

I've gone with it as it just feels so darned good and apologies to you lovely Tikka fans - picked up seven and every stock was shocking so there's another £350 for a GRS Beserk - have you honestly felt the bolt, safely and trigger on the Mauser. :wub:

Took the words out of my mouth. Re-barrel a .308 intended for stalking not on your nelly.

60 degree bolt throw and a double stack magazine you can top load are atributes of a great recreational rifle. I own a tikka T3 and a stock from Edi. Plus custom rifles, the M12 as long as it shoots given features should provide satisfaction.

If Mauser want to message me, I will put one to the test.

Tikka super varmint.

Steve

+ 1

Although the CZ 557 synthetic with the 'soft touch' stock I just had my hands on is sweet, really sweet. I was surprised that a rifle costing 2/3rd the price of the Impact was at least as well balanced and felt as good in the hand - sadly the synthetic 'soft touch' not made with varmint profile, otherwise there's be one in my safe yesterday!

Shot them all and own an M12. Tikkas are good like a Vauxhall Astra is good.........functional without doubt but oh so plain and dull. I prefer the Sako A7 action to the stupidly bolt faced 85 but stock choice is up to you. The Sauer 100 is magic and like the Mauser, has a superb trigger, bloody amazing! I have used and reviewed them all. The Haenel was Ok but its all about comparative price and sadly it's outclassed per£££. The B14 is actually a very nice gun, what a Rem 700 should have become but the stock was a little

Lacklustre. Very stable barrel though, I had one in 243 and got it very hot and it stayed right on the nail. If you want somethingd mid-weight, i just had a Lithgow LA102 and it had quite a lot going for it with a moderate barrel profile and stupid accurate.

So hmmmm,for sub grand, bang for your buck, Sauer 100 and for another £200 The M12 is superior to the Sauer 101 which is very similar in design down to the subtleties of the bolt handle and better safety catch, especially accessibility with gloves on. Btw, the longer tacticooooool bolt handle on the M12 Impact's bolt is easier to slow or stall the bolt than the superior standard model. The standard M12's bolt is blissful and outclasses ANYTHING for both speed and smooth operation in a factory sporter. Its faster than my old school teflon duracoated and well run in rem 700

Thank you Hatzi.

Picking up "Mini" Mauser M12 in the Impact stock on Saturday. Barton mod. Looks good and no bushing to bugger the barrel finish.

Scope choice is hell. Great feedback from UKV chaps - thank you. Still stuck.

Even thinking of increasing the budget. Vortex Razor 3-18x50 / Kahles 624 - Mil4 ret, or Schmidt 5-25x56 PMII or Minox ZP. FFP. MOA or Mil/Mil. No Plex of No 4 Rets. Not for me. BDC too awkward. Admit that Sightron SIII and Bushnell DMR would make sense but the bushy is fugly and no IL. Nightforce F1 at 14 x mag is a tad too small for 600 yards plus. Don't like IL control sticking out of the eyepiece. IOR lumpy. As another post, I stated I want a £350 Hawke Sidewinder for £1000 - which Mr Hudson kindly offered to sell me. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Berger b14 very accurate rifle its nice as a tikka for less money , or have a look at the brock and Norris contractor rifle that's a very nice gun after mike has done his work to it I seen a couple and they are very nice

Had a quick search and read on the M12 features. I think the main reason they've been able to keep the price down is that the bolt locks directly into the barrel. Rebarrelling with generic barrels won't be an option, though this won't worry most people.

Nicky. No worries. I'm still running it in but I love it already. Sorry to all Tikka fans but the new TX3 is as rough as old boots compared to the M12.

Chris. Rebarrelling was not a consideration but it is SO smooth to shoot I feel it may get used more than my .223. Frankly at the price, I'll chuck it away and get a new one. It puts a big smile on my face.

post-1254-0-12711500-1484854856_thumb.jpg

post-1254-0-41611400-1484854873_thumb.jpg

Looks a very nice rifle and the scope you got a cracking scope to those bushnell are very good a mate got 2 and I'm very impressed that model you got and the other bushnell range of scopes I think of going bushnell next , they track well don't loose zero and good glass and I like the locking turrets to great scopes for the money

Nicky. Thank Sherlock and Si-Snipe for their scope advice,

Shaun at Optics Warehouse for his patience whilst I made my decision. And Lisa and Ady. Great advice. The third time I have used them and always impeccable.

Also Robert Sajitz at Blaser UK for his inimitable courtesy steering me in the direction of RJ Blackwall in Charlbury after a numptie in a Cambridge gunshop (23 miles from me) who was so so so darned rude and ignorant about a Mauser in stock, treated it like crap and indifference it lost them a £2,000 sale.

Well worth £100 in petrol, two x 200 mile trips to sort out the rifle - and be given a tempting choice - moderator and ammunition, and to be treated with respect by Rupert, John and Matt at RJB, have a cup of tea and work with a team who understand simple service. Credit where credit is due.

Ideally, I would like an illuminated ret and zero stop which the DMR Gen II Bushys have. Really I want a Kahles 624i though the glass on the new Minox ZP's is very good. Writing to Santa now !!!!

Archived