6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem AckI?

Panda

Hi folks.

I'm thinking about a different barrel for my Remington 700 short action and I like the idea of using a 6.5mm bullet, so as per title, which of the 2 options would be best for me? I only do target shooting at ranges from 100 to 1000yds. I've discounted the 6.5x47 due to the small rifle primer. The bolt is original and the firing pin is to the usual mass produced standard ie. a bit sloppy :) .

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

David

If youre loading your own, brass should be something to think about. Readily available .308, 7-08 and .243 brass to form .260rem from drove me down that road. Really rather like it so far.

Before you cross out the 6.5x47, I'm sure you can have a go of James's ( he will be at Ingleston's first shoot) stock remington action 6.5x47

So far it has had no firing pin / primer issues.

Worth a look.....

Look at the .260 and the Creedmoor case side by side.

One has a short neck, sloping sides, and doesn't usually run a full case of powder, so why bother making an ackley out of it, and making even more case space.

The other is a modern design, has a long neck, a 30 degree shoulder, so stretches less, and has virtually the case capacity of the other, but is a shorter, straighter design . It will also allow a 140 grain bullet to be seated into the lands, yet still load from an AICS length mag.

I,ll leave it up to you to decide which is which. ;)

I re barrels my 243 in 260 rem it was the best move I ever made Steve Kershaw did me a first class job only problem is shoots better than I can! a friend has one of the other 6.5 calibres not shore which one anyway he cannot keep his hands of the 260 so in my limited experience with 6.5 260 rem for me.

Before you cross out the 6.5x47, I'm sure you can have a go of James's ( he will be at Ingleston's first shoot) stock remington action 6.5x47

So far it has had no firing pin / primer issues.

Worth a look.....

Unfortunately I'm slated to be on standby for the first shoot Borisserge :( and since I've been off work for 2 months due to an injury I doubt if I'll be able to get cover, but I will ask......you never know :unsure:.

Thanks to all that responded, it's been very illuminating. I suspect following baldie's comprehensive response, and bowing to his knowledge of both cartridges it'll be a 6.5 Creedmoor when the time arrives :). Guess it'll just be a question of which barrel manufacturer after that :unsure:.

That comparison has to be probably the most pointless I've ever read [ no offence SW shooter ]

The Creedmoor was never designed to be an F class cartridge at all.

It was designed as an "across the course" cartridge, i.e. 300 and 600 yards line.

The 120 A-max load for 300, and the 140 A-max load for the 600 yard line.

The exact load data is printed on the back of the ammo box, should the shooter wish to replicate the factory ammo.

Comparing a CM to a 6.5 x .284 is like comparing a mini to a maserati.

The CM is a short action, the .284 , a long action.

There is somewhat of a difference in case capacity......... :lol:

It tickles me sometimes that whenever a new case appears, people automatically assume everyone wants to shoot F class with it.

So here's a question, if the OP doesn't mind a slight thread hijack. What would be a good short action calibre for occasional use at 1000 yards? Yes I know that one would really need a long action in one of the big 7mm calibres in order to run with the big boys and girls, but I wonder what people would recommend if one limited oneself to a short action?

@Baldie - we discussed this in an interesting chat at the British Shooting Show and you recommended 6XC. I think that Vince B has also said that he uses one for 1000 yard benchrest. Any other good choices?

I think , to be honest, if one must use a short action to build a 1000 yards gun, they will all be a compromise. You will need long barrels and high loads. The 6XC however, is a little powerhouse, and probarbly comes closer to the ideal than most.

As the man said.......

" There ain't no substitute for CC,s "

So here's a question, if the OP doesn't mind a slight thread hijack. What would be a good short action calibre for occasional use at 1000 yards? Yes I know that one would really need a long action in one of the big 7mm calibres in order to run with the big boys and girls, but I wonder what people would recommend if one limited oneself to a short action?

@Baldie - we discussed this in an interesting chat at the British Shooting Show and you recommended 6XC. I think that Vince B has also said that he uses one for 1000 yard benchrest. Any other good choices?

I don't have any problems at 1100 or more with 6mm SLR AND 260 REM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCl28ZS1Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-I19XD9y4

6XC and 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor in a 500 to 1,700 yard shoot-off from tactical rifles. Yes, that's 1.700 yards!

Edit ..... 6SLR v 6.5 Creedmoor. Not that these is that great a difference between the SLR (Super Long-Range, a sharp shoulder / long neck .243 Win) and the XC in practice.

Yup - I'm there already. I must have watched those videos a dozen times - a great inspiration to get more serious about long range shooting.

For a short action, with a long barrel, I had pretty much narrowed the choices to 6mm SLR or 6XC. But it would be nice to have a shorter 6.5 Creedmoor barrel too...

This would be for a switch-barrel AI AX308 - I've been saving for a couple of years and I'm almost there!

I don't struggle with a 6BR at 1000 yards.......

light recoil enables you to shoot fast and get a wind window.

A 6BR hold 2 1000 yard heavy gun records!

My point is that it doesn't need to be a monster 7mm to do it.

I think it all depends on what you class as wind really.

A lot of the LR American video's are shot without much wind, in high, warm altitudes. Somewhat different conditions to a cold, wet Diggle.

You can shoot a .223 quite successfully at 1000 yards given the right conditions. The point I was trying to make, is that all the short action rounds are going to struggle to a lesser or greater degree, when the wind gets up.

This is Obviously why the big sevens are currently in use for 1000 yards. Ballistically, there is nothing to beat them in the wind [ except some of the big .30,s and their horrendous recoil ]

As a good example, I remember winning the CSR PSSA champs a couple of years ago, shooting a 20" barrelled .308 AX. I had the highest score of the day at 1000 yards with 167 scenars......hardly a gucci bullet....but conditions were excellent. Had it been really windy, I would have been screwed.

I,m currently building another short barrelled AX in 6.5 Creedmoor. It will be interesting to see what that will do at 1000 yards. I once had a 20" barrelled Tikka in 6.5 x 47, and I used that on gongs to 1400 yards on calm , warm days.

The Grail is still hidden. :D

I hope the Grail remains hidden.....if there is ever a 'Dead certain' rifle/cartridge invented then shooting life would quickly become boringly predictable.

Archived