6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem AckI?

Panda

Dave,they exist.....but only for very short range! Certainty across conditions at long range isn't due anytime soon.

As Dave and Bruce say,a 'smaller than ' 7 can do very well in very benign cconditions,but a look at say the results of all cartridges on the Diggle 500 ground hog shoot targets will reassure-max scores at 100 are often no scors at 500-but of course Diggle is designed by the shooting gods to be challenging.

The you tube videos mentioned seem to be almost wind free-look at the grass stems-must be fun for a few (hundred) shots..... :-)

Remember the old 22rf boxes-"Dangerous within a mile" (more a warning than a varminting guarantee)-I remember an old ghillie who always added :Aye,but it's hard tae ken what it will be dangerous to at they distances".

Indeed-under optimum conditions distance (firing a 45 degrees etc) can be considerable,but just where the bullet lands is increasingly unpredictable as wind increases. The 'better' long range cartridges do reduce the uncertainty,though-and a consistent lo/no wind 5 inches is achievable with the better ones,as eg Diggle best results suggest.

gbal

Gbal

Understood.....I guess that I was reminded of the recent contest between the wife of 'American Sniper' and another sniper where she used a sighting system that could read downrange conditions and calculate a firing solution with no expertise input to the shot.

I love my tools and gadgets but there comes a point in civilian usage where, if all I have to do is release the shot and tech takes over, I would not feel that I was able to claim any credit or satsfaction in the result.

No cartridge will be able to do all that obviously but the 'tech' is coming and I can see why for military use.

Gbal

Understood.....I guess that I was reminded of the recent contest between the wife of 'American Sniper' and another sniper where she used a sighting system that could read downrange conditions and calculate a firing solution with no expertise input to the shot.

Ah yes TrackingPoint - no give wind solution = > no much help on windy days

Dave your 167gr scenars must of been very accurate.in windless condition the accuracy shines frew.thats probaly why the 6mm br does so well.its inherrently accurate apparantley.its a level playing field in good condition.when shooting in really windy condition high bc makes for better scoring if you judge it right.

Usually at 1000yds I shoot my 6.5 06 first.if I get a second go I shoot my 308.both shoot extremely well at 100yds.6.5 06 probaly has the edge but I very rarely beat my 6.5 06s score with my 308.last time I did.on my first go I had 4 shots missing.only had 16 out of 20 hits.the shots had either got blown of the edge of the target as it was around 20mph wind and gusting or the nra markers in the butts missed 4 of my holes.bc on the 6.5 cal 142gr smks are far superior than the 155gr smk 2156s and usually shows.whatever cal it is has to be very accurate to do well at 1000yds . there it many a holy grail rifles and calibres out there but the wind still cheats them and always will.i can't see bullets bc's getting any better now.i think they've peaked.

Archived