Would you buy it...?

Raifuru

Just seen this for sale on another forum. To protect the innocent, I will not say where.

Why on earth would anyone do this? Looks like it has been done in a shed.

Apparently being sold unproofed since the rework to allow a lower scope mount to be used.

post-10598-0-75286000-1455224184_thumb.jpg

post-10598-0-16430400-1455224207_thumb.jpg

That would be funny if it wasnt dangerous, how could someone that stupid get an FAC?

Hmmm.....the FAC requirement is 'good reason' ,not 'good reasoning'.

The Scottish legal option "not proven"-could apply to the 'seller',and 'not in proof' to the rifle.

That thread has been locked thankfully! Costly mistake on the owners part but could have been far more so had it blown up on him! I loved the bit in the ad that said "there's plenty of metal left there" :D I know very little about proof law but it's my understanding he couldn't even sell it as scrap as it's clearly out of proof!

I think there's probably enough metal there. If that's a Tikka T3 Varmint, the barrel is 21mm diameter at the muzzle so probably at least 23mm where the trough is. The trough looks at most 2mm deep. At least 6.5mm of wall thickness sounds enough to me.

I'm not a particularly knowledgeable engineer but I suspect not many other posters on this thread are either.

marbles_dovetail_blank01.jpg

Dovetail2.jpg

60218firesightblade.jpg

12-27-10-05-Gallery-airgun-sights.jpg

I think there's probably enough metal there. If that's a Tikka T3 Varmint, the barrel is 21mm diameter at the muzzle so probably at least 23mm where the trough is. The trough looks at most 2mm deep. At least 6.5mm of wall thickness sounds enough to me.

I'm not a particularly knowledgeable engineer but I suspect not many other posters on this thread are either.

snc_2010

You're missing the point here, I believe taking a grinder to a barrel in the garden shed is the primary issue = gun is out of proof. Your illustrations of cuts and machining, all be it help, would either be covered by the original proof or would require re-proofing. The gun in that condition would be illegal to sell in the UK. (even if you could find some *uckwhit stooped enough to buy it?)

As to your last sentence, well, bit of an 'assumption' - and you know what they say about 'assumptions' :)

Brgds Terry

Rifle now worthless as is, only way to recoup would be to pull and junk the barrel and sell the action and stock. Like others have said, no way will it be in proof so illegal to sell as far as I understand whether safe or not. I suppose he could submit it for reproof...

Rifle now worthless as is, only way to recoup would be to pull and junk the barrel and sell the action and stock. Like others have said, no way will it be in proof so illegal to sell as far as I understand whether safe or not. I suppose he could submit it for reproof...

Yep. Get it reproofed and it will be worth £600

Archived