What's causing this please

Hey all . My mate has just bought a savage 204 . He's fired 25 shots to break barrel in. He showed me the empties . Doesn't look good to me.

Any ideas what's doing this. Or weather he should be shooting it at all.

He says the bolt lift is fine. And I couldn't see any pressure on case head or primer.

The ammo is factory 40gr vmax hornday superformance.

Cheers

2016-01-26%2021.32.40.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind proof.....how did it leave a factory/a gunsmiths bench....scarey stuff.

Suggest the rifle is chambered in another 20 cal cartridge......

Scary,

death at your shoulder

How did that get through proof? Maybe our CIP proofhouses should go to Specsavers.

Would the proof house even be concerned with that anyway? As long as the rifle remains in one piece and the bolt can be opened, even with a big hammer, isn't that the only point, ie pass/fail, rather than worrying about any idiosyncrasies with the chamber?

Richard.

From the CIP proofing procedure...

"Prior to firing cartridges in the firearm to be proofed, it is checked for its essential mechanical dimensions such as, all measures and tolerances in the chamber are verified."

So what method do they use to determine those dimensions, dummy rounds with specific neck and overall length measurements or some other means. I know they were marking tight neck .308 chambers as non standard or with the actual neck diameter but wasn't sure how they determine those dimensions.

So what method do they use to determine those dimensions, dummy rounds with specific neck and overall length measurements or some other means. I know they were marking tight neck .308 chambers as non standard or with the actual neck diameter but wasn't sure how they determine those dimensions.

I don't know for sure but I'd guess at a mix of go/no-go gauges and vernier callipers.

Not that I know of . But he didn't argue with my mate, it was sent back as he showed the dealer the cases. Normally the rfd chap he bought it from is a nightmare to get to sort anything but the evidence was clear as day.

That's 2 savages my mates had and 2 major problems in both. One was a 17hmr and now this one.

Only Savage I see on a regular basis hasn't made it through a full days shooting at the range since the owner's had it. Not sure if it's the owner or the rifle, but nothing about it inspires confidence - not sure why the yanks are so in love with them. The patriotic 'must buy American stuff' bug?

In defense of Savage, they (6BR & 6.5-284) perform unbelievably well in 100, 600 and 1000 yard benchrest. We've had half MOA 5-shot groups at 600 & 1000 yds with these rifles.

The 308 FTR is also a great performer. Out of the box, they are capable of holding their own in the FTR class.

Looking at the pics, I would say that there is obviously a significant difference between the actual chamber and what it says on the barrel - assuming the correct ammunition was used. Bit amazed that the Proof House didn't spot it......

In defense of Savage, they (6BR & 6.5-284) perform unbelievably well in 100, 600 and 1000 yard benchrest. We've had half MOA 5-shot groups at 600 & 1000 yds with these rifles.

The 308 FTR is also a great performer. Out of the box, they are capable of holding their own in the FTR class.

Looking at the pics, I would say that there is obviously a significant difference between the actual chamber and what it says on the barrel - assuming the correct ammunition was used. Bit amazed that the Proof House didn't spot it......

I guess as with any mass produced rifle there are going to be good ones and the odd lemon. I guess as above, a bit of DIY 'tinkering' could be to blame if it's not a brand spanking new rifle - this is the danger of platforms that can be modified/chopped and changed with relative ease by the end user. Scary stuff one way or another, and I'm not sure I'd of fired a second round after seeing brass like that......

Archived