aftermarket triggers for rem 700

wozar

I've always loved Jewels, but they have been virtually impossible to get for some time. I,m down to my last half dozen, and haven't had one for a remington for a long time.

I decided to replace them with the Calvin elite, and whilst it does,t go as light as a jewel will, its still a very good trigger indeed.

if Dave cant help you i have timney elite here as well £190 on the shelf atm but they do move fast

I've always loved Jewels, but they have been virtually impossible to get for some time. I,m down to my last half dozen, and haven't had one for a remington for a long time.

I decided to replace them with the Calvin elite, and whilst it does,t go as light as a jewel will, its still a very good trigger indeed.

Ive got a Jewell and a Calvin Elite on different rifles, I actually prefer the Calvin as it has more over-travel with I like, it certainly goes low enough for probably anything short of bench rest I would guess.

What weight does the Calvin elite go down to and is easy to adjust or are they set at a persific weight

I think they go down to 8oz, but would guess they are just over a 1lb out of the box. Manufacturers never set them at their lowest.

I always take the minimum weight with a pinch of salt as a 2 lever design such as this, or rifle basix or remington will not go safely down that low. people claim they will, but I guarantee you I could make them slam fire. Its a physical impossibility on such a design.

The only trigger which will safely go that low is the Jewel, and thats because its a 3 lever design.

The only safe trigger is one that does not drop when the bolt is racked as hard as you possibly can [ empty ] and will also then stand the safety being put on/off and bumped hard on the floor.

Rifle Basix do a 3 lever trigger for Rem's that will safety go down to a few oz's and the Shooting Shed were selling Centra 2 stage triggers suitable for those actions.

Richard

I have a basix on mine and I'm happy with it.

Only thing I would say is it appeared to lighten off after it had been used for a while so I stiffened it up i.e. made it heavier, and its been fine since.

Weejohn,

That is virtually the same as the Centra trigger. When production shifted to the States under the 'X-treme' banner, export became an issue so I understand Robert Chombart commissioned Centra to make the trigger for use in the INCH actions or the latest version which the Shooting Shed manufacture, and they also listed the Centra trigger separately on their website, although whether they still do, I'm not sure. Anyway it's an excellent trigger either in single or two stage, although not able to go down as low as the Jewell, which for me at least makes it not quite as desirable.

Richard.

Swaro,

It's for military applications where there's a requirement to have some take up of the trigger before the final release, I guess the powers that be consider it's safer to train people unfamiliar with firearms to these triggers and less likely to be accidental discharges if the pressure on the trigger is released without firing a shot. When service rifles were the predominant form of target shooting, that trigger mechanism remained and still does in certain countries such as the UK where TR (which morphed out of service rifles) requires an unrealistically high minimum trigger pull weight, 1.5kg, so say 1kg would be the first stage weight with the final pull of .5kg firing the shot. When you're centering a small dot hundreds of yards away, it's far easier to be able to hold 1kg until the breathing and sight alignment is correct before that final squeeze. Other target disciplines with minimum trigger pull weights can also benefit from two stage triggers, especially if the shooting position is unsupported. I shot Metallic Silhouette for a number of years which is fired standing without any support, the Hunter class rifles had a minimum 2lb pull weight and it was far easier to have a two stage trigger holding 2/3 of the pull weight against the first stage stop until you were centered on the animal for that instant and a quick squeeze would fire the shot, almost like controlled snap shooting. Trying to judge how much pressure to take up or releasing the full trigger weight in that instant without snatching the shot was much harder. For other forms of supported target shooting with no minimum pull weights there's no real point to a two stage trigger.

Richard.

Yeah that makes perfect sense, from my own experience its easy enough to pull a shot a little at 100yds when testing ammo, at 1000yds this makes a big difference, is there a recognised perfect pull weight, ive kept my remmy with the match trigger so ive no messing around when shooting comps, 1,5kg is required pull, as my remmy is mainly a range rifle I may benefit from a lighter trigger as the clubs main thing is snap shooting,200yds out to 1000yds, ive never noticed the weight when shooting these formats, its only zeroing and ammo testing I can, would be intresting to see if it improves my shooting, I may try a second hand one soon, fanx for reply rich, regards swaro

Archived