Want a new calibre but which one?

I have just sold my little HM2 as it wasnt getting enough use. I have to tell plod in the next couple of days and it seems a shame to waste the slot. I might as well put in for a one for one variation.

I cant decide on a calibre.

I have enough regular firearms to cover the bases, .22LR, .17HMR, .223Rem, .243AI, 2x .308Win and .300Winmag so thought of getting something 'different' :)

I dont know if I'd get much use out of a .38/.357 9mm calibre carbine so I think I need a 'rifle'. My mate showed me a 300 AAC Blackout which tickled my fancy especially with the subsonic option but even with lighter bullets its going to struggle to reach 600.

I thought about a .30BR which uses a small quantity of powder like the Blackout and certainly has a fantastic pedigree but the case prep seems a bit beyond me. I dont mind reloading or expanding but I'm not sure about the neck turning requirements.

I know some of you guys out there shoot a few weird and wonderful toys and wondered if you could offer any inspiration.

Basic requirements are; suitable for range use, cheap to run, not require an engineering degree to reload for and not be OTT. Much as I'd like a Barrett .416 or .50 its not going to happen!

Mark

6.5x47 isnt that just another 'vanilla' calibre? and the super LR looks too similar to the .243AI

I think I want something with a smaller case. I like the idea of a .30BR over a 6PPC or am I being overly fussy

MArk

What about going "classic" with an old .303 Enfield or a 30.06 Springfield or even a 7.92 Mauser K98? You already have all the modern rifles you need by the looks of it.

Mike

I have just sold my little HM2 as it wasnt getting enough use. I have to tell plod in the next couple of days and it seems a shame to waste the slot. I might as well put in for a one for one variation.

I have enough regular firearms to cover the bases, .22LR, .17HMR, .223Rem, .243AI, 2x .308Win and .300Winmag so thought of getting something 'different' :)

I dont know if I'd get much use out of a .38/.357 9mm calibre carbine so I think I need a 'rifle'. My mate showed me a 300 AAC Blackout which tickled my fancy especially with the subsonic option but even with lighter bullets its going to struggle to reach 600.

I thought about a .30BR which uses a small quantity of powder like the Blackout and certainly has a fantastic pedigree but the case prep seems a bit beyond me. I dont mind reloading or expanding but I'm not sure about the neck turning requirements.

I know some of you guys out there shoot a few weird and wonderful toys and wondered if you could offer any inspiration.

Basic requirements are; suitable for range use, cheap to run, not require an engineering degree to reload for and not be OTT. Much as I'd like a Barrett .416 or .50 its not going to happen!

Mark

Mark,

One option you might consider is an out and out accuracy cartridge-which effectively means a PPc or one of the BR family.

All these are in the 30 plus or minus a couple of grains of powder bracket,not very difficult to load for,and very well established.

You mention the 30BR -excelllent out to about 600,and I like to shoot it,but the 6BR is more flexible,and with appropriate twists,isa very creditable 1000y on a good day at the club option,and anyhow great to 600 in almost any form.A 6ppc will struggle to keep up at 600,but generally delivers accuracy nothing else can quite touch at shorter ranges.All. These are a real pleasure to shoot with gentle recoil,and great performance.......6BR will do it best,even got lapua brass (lapua 6 BR norma-the norma is just a longer chamber ne

but best option if you want longer bullets,for ranges beyond say 600-the brass is pretty much the same as rem6br brass.)

Gbal

6.5x47 isnt that just another 'vanilla' calibre? and the super LR looks too similar to the .243AI

I think I want something with a smaller case. I like the idea of a .30BR over a 6PPC or am I being overly fussy

MArk

6BR is the perfect blend of the virtues of both 30 br and 6ppc

Gbal

I'll have a look at the 6BR perhaps. Isnt the Dasher known for having a really short barrel life?

I'm guessing the 6BR uses the .243/.308 boltface as a donor action?

Mark

I'll have a look at the 6BR perhaps. Isnt the Dasher known for having a really short barrel life?

I'm guessing the 6BR uses the .243/.308 boltface as a donor action?

Mark[/quot

Mark

Yes it does-the BR family are actually a shortened 308 case-the immediate wildcat for the 30BR was the 308x1 1/2 Barnes.

The lapua 6BR brass shoots right from the box.See all you need on Accurate Shooter site.

Donors are therefore plentiful,and Savage do two 6BRs and Cooper do a 6BR.

Barrel life is excellent. Dasher a little harder on barrels as it burns a little more powder- a sort of 6BR AI.

The 6BR is very popular in Europe for 300m CISM shooting,replacing the 308w,and there are some pretty classy european rifles in 6BR developed for the competition.

One in twelve is good for lighter bench rest bullets of 68 up to 80+ ,with really good accuracy,and one in nine handling the 105 class for long range 1000 y

Gbal

Gbal

Mark

You know if your into punching paper I can only think of a more barrel friendly 6mm ! A BR perhaps? Or chuck away the HMR coz they are pants :D and get a real small, light duty centre fire ;)

Thanks for all the input gents. Variation submitted today for a 6BR :)

Mark

Good choice you wont look back,,,,,,what I will add though is if your gonna have one built and likely to load close to lands then consider very carefully what weight head you are likely to want to shoot and read up on suitable throating for those bullets,,,if you go 1 in 8 and are favouring the heavies then its likely a smithy will recommend a .104 freebore or longer perhaps?,,,,this will be ok until you want to try some light one,s and be left with little in the case especially as things wear. Consider a .80 freebore for a compromise perhaps?.For my next build I,ve got a .60 freebore reamer coming and that should do all quite nicely keeping most 105,s ahead of the shoulder and plenty in the case with lighter one,s too.

These are my thoughts ,appreciate others may not entirely agree but 6BR is my favourite cal and I have just about tried every head in various throated chambers and hoping the. 60 freebore will be the ultimate compromise.

have a good read on the internet,,,look up "6BR suitable throating" etc etc

Let us know how you get on,,,,,,Regds Onehole

• 1 month later...

Mark

then the choice is obvious ! .408 cheytac intervention . balistics to dream of , similar to 416 barrett . aftab at reloading soloutions tried to get .408 dies from US for him and a couple of others , guess what , they said no ! real shame ... sorry i couldn't help ...

then the choice is obvious ! .408 cheytac intervention . balistics to dream of , similar to 416 barrett . aftab at reloading soloutions tried to get .408 dies from US for him and a couple of others , guess what , they said no ! real shame ... sorry i couldn't help ...

obvious indeed- see the 'cheap to run' and 'not OTT" specifications.(and dismissal of 416B...:-)

Gbal

PS don't shoot it tongue in cheek,you might bite off more than you can chew! :-) :-)

Second on the 45-70 or up to a 45-100.

Just something 'right' about them. Accurate, fun, they might only be travelling the speed of a bus - but they have the same knock down as one :)

T

Second on the 45-70 or up to a 45-100.

Just something 'right' about them. Accurate, fun, they might only be travelling the speed of a bus - but they have the same knock down as one :)

T

And what's wrong with my 45/120 ?

Archived