Want a new calibre but which one?

And what's wrong with my 45/120 ?

Tacb

There is absolutly nothing wrong with a 45-120 but you do not need to go past 45-100 to be internationally competitive.

A 540-560g bullet at 1250-1300 is all you need and that can be achieved in a 90 or 100 with mild compression of powder, that's all. Much faster in rifles of competitive weight and you are simply beating youself up for no advantage, the bullets dropping below sonic regardless so pushing this point a few more yards out achieves nothing.

If you are worrying about wind then use a shallow cannular bullet and wipe between shots - but I feel wiping is cheating and against standing rules ( old rules, but rules none the less :) )

Terry

Ps DTA - out of interest what make is the Quigley?

Having been granted a slot for a 6BR I now have to decide on an action etc.

My first thought is to buy a .308WIn Rem 700 and use that as a donor. I have a possible barrel and stock to use but have been offered a 6BR Tikka M55 Supersport at what seems to be a very good price. I know nothing about the Tikka actions however.

The stock is wooden with an adjustable cheek piece but I must say I'm not a great fan of wooden stocks and I don't remember seeing a plethora of aftermarket stocks to fit Tikkas!

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Mark

Fox shooter, don't be put off by neck turning, I have a 6ppc built by tooley custom rifles with a tight neck (.261), once you've tried a couple of cases and got used to not panicking when you see the amount of excess brass it is no more difficult than most other case prep processes. The ppc's (and ill say the Grendel also although may be giving this up on the ticket) will shoot bug holes all day, they literally are unbelievably accurate (outperformed I will agree at longer ranges by the BR's)

Having been granted a slot for a 6BR I now have to decide on an action etc.

My first thought is to buy a .308WIn Rem 700 and use that as a donor. I have a possible barrel and stock to use but have been offered a 6BR Tikka M55 Supersport at what seems to be a very good price. I know nothing about the Tikka actions however.

The stock is wooden with an adjustable cheek piece but I must say I'm not a great fan of wooden stocks and I don't remember seeing a plethora of aftermarket stocks to fit Tikkas!

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Mark

i think GRS make stocks for tikka , mc,millan do , but you'll prob have to get bedded ! also i heard great things on tikka actions , not sure if there the m55 tho ! also 6br is my next calibre for sure , hopefully on an odin from baldie , depends on work i suppose . good luck with it ..

Archived