Why do you bother to reload?

1967spud

This is a question that oi am asked on a nightly basis by customers and i reply for many reasons.

So ill ask you lot out there...

Why do you reload?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cost and consistency, especially on larger calibres like 30-338 & .338.

I shoot 338 Lap Mag and 260 rem , 6MM SLR and 308 Win ....and for the former it is a MUST on cost grounds.

For the 260 rem and others I want to be able to choose my own bullet for any given purpose and then powder etc to get the MV that I require...... Consistently.

I also don't want to chase around shops looking for ammo when I can make it to order.

PLUS ..its sooo satisfying!

If I didn't, I'd hardly get to shoot. My 75gr vmax .243 loads cost me about 65p each, factory Norma around £1.50. And you can't buy subsonic .243. Subs in .308 are hellishly expensive and not easy to get hold of, and I can happily plink away at 50 in a day. Plus, it gives me 'time out' away from the stresses and strains of everyday life. Plus, good for the environment. Recycling :)

Pete

This is a question that oi am asked on a nightly basis by customers and i reply for many reasons.

So ill ask you lot out there...

Why do you reload?

There seem to be four general reasons:enjoyment/satisfaction;economy;performance;neccesity.

Some shooters just like doing it,and perhaps get some satisfaction from it like DIY

Some argue that it is more economical-it can be-broadly speaking if you use like for like,you can save the cost of the brass,which is considerable,though not indefinitely.Military surplus plinking ammo is over £40 (308) and 30 (223) even if available-you can just about beat this with reloading.And you can save on factory ammo-about the brass cost,if you use comparable components.

Performance-especially accuracy is often better-as the load can be fine tuned to the rifle.This is variable-top ammo is good,but expensive.You might get 'improved' velocity,but there is no free lunch.You may not need a very small improvement in either accuracy or velocity,but you may want it-and in competitive shooting it may be essential.

There may be no other source of ammunition-you are shooting a wildcat,or tight neck or whatever,or a now obsolete calibre,or want something that is just not commercially available,or you have little confidence in supplies.

Sometimes more than one reason will apply,and some-economy-depends on how many rounds you need,and the capital cost of equipment-and limiting load development costs. (But that is potentially enjoyable...).

There are assorted other reasons of a more personal sort,only the individual can asses these....(or their partner...)

george

I'm just starting to reload having been shooting for near 20 years now, so why now?

These are all perceived benefits as my re loading gear resembles a prom dress, one quick fumble and back in the box

Primarily for flexibility - I wanted to be able to develop loads for a variety of different uses and make full use of the 7mm bullet selection. The available bullets in 7mm is vast but factory ammo for the 7-08 is very limited.

Better precision/consistency - I wanted to start paper punching at longer distance and saw reloading as key to achieving consistent results and increasing precision.

Intrest - reloading or ammunition construction is fairly critical to the operation of a firearm, if your interested in firearms as a technology/piece of engineering it's fair to say your going to develop an interest in the ammunition and I don't know many folk that theory alone ticks the boxes so a natural progression is to have a go yourself.

Need - before my first custom have even properly started construction i'd convinced myself that it was better economics to re barrel an old rifle than to sell and now have a .22br coming at some point so reloading will now be a necessity.

Had some helpful points already from folk here and i'm really looking forward to getting my bench built, set up and starting to have a play, though in fairness its still really daunting.

I started Handloading for Pistols nearly thirty years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it alongside Casting my own Bullets. When i had to make the switch to Rifles i relished the thought of doing the loading for them.

I now have a tight neck Rifle. two Ackleys and a .22BR and my Handloading is almost an interest in itself that compliments my Shooting.

In short i love to Fanny about :) .

Nick.

I have spent a lot of money on a rifle that's accurate and want to get the best out of it.

I also think it allows me to shoot more on the budget I have than if I were purchasing factory.

I can just go make a few bullets up if i need them rather than have supply issues form the shop.

Because I couldn't get sub 0.5" 5 shot groups @ 170m with factory ammo. :P :P :P

yes you can if you use factory lapua or sako 6mm ppc ? not done it myself but witnessed it !

More records have been shot with Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn .308 than any other ammo.

To shoot factory is certainly more expensive, but if it shoots well enough why waste time making your own?

I used to reload a lot, but only do it now when I feel I have to.

Cost isn't a factor

More records have been shot with Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn .308 than any other ammo.

To shoot factory is certainly more expensive, but if it shoots well enough why waste time making your own?

Cost isn't a factor

Maybe so,but that is not true of all competitions.Lots (all!) of Palma competitions have been won with 'Palma' ammunition,but not so many BR competitions have been.And 308 Fed GMM is hopeless in most 223s!

How does FGMM compare with Lapua /Norma Match 308,if cost were not a factor?

george

Why do I reload ?

Because if I dont, it goes "click"............ :D

Much cheaper though!

Cost isn't a factor

More records? That one has escaped me - can you remind us which records specifically please.

Archived