Rifle cleaning

MJR

I've just about run out of my original bottle of 009 which i've had for years. I use it to patch out the crud prior to using G96 copper remover. I'm looking for a good alternative so what do you use and can recommend? Thanks.

There's only one cleaner as far as I'm concerned: KG. no1 and no. 12. Nothing I know of comes even close. I'll go and get my helmet now...

Best wishes

Finman

I've just got both of these in as they're very much in vogue with the (serious) "NZ Hunter" magazine crew. These guys spend their whole life shooting (and cleaning) guns and aren't afraid to experiment. KG12 they reckon is the bees kneez for copper.

I still have to get my head round the need to flush out KG1 with basically an evaporating solvent. No biggie I guess. Key thing with that stuff is to scrub the bore with a nylon brush as it requires mechanical action to do its job.

Chris-NZ

There's only one cleaner as far as I'm concerned: KG. no1 and no. 12. Nothing I know of comes even close. I'll go and get my helmet now...

Best wishes

Finland

+1 for KG products

Another one for Wipe out.

I like the soapy feel to Wipe out, you just know it's going to stick. I have some accelerator and carbon remover on order.

Not to sure about KG12, I know it works but without a borescope there's no way of knowing. I like to see blue on my patches (well I prefer not too, but you know what I mean)

Another one for Wipe out.

I like the soapy feel to Wipe out, you just know it's going to stick. I have some accelerator and carbon remover on order.

Not to sure about KG12, I know it works but without a borescope there's no way of knowing. I like to see blue on my patches (well I prefer not too, but you know what I mean)

I'm a borefoam junky myself and after say 3 outings I will get stuck in with KG

Ive used carbout for carbon remover for a few years and it does what it says on the tin, I use it every 250 rounds or so, in between i use bore tech for copper remover as well.

Looking on some of the US sites the bench rest boys are useing allsorts of stuff even brake pipe cleaner.

Well I have tried every sort of copper remover on this planet and can safely say the only way that I have found to work 100% is to get my ex wife to look down the barrel.

One withering stare from her would make anything shrivel up and die! Now if there is anyway I could bottle it I would make my millions!!!

Montana Extreme. Best solvent i have used in 28 years of shooting. If Copper fouling is really severe they do a Copper Killer too. It is wicked stuff and according to the Manufacturer is totally Barrel safe.

Nick.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there first post nice to meet u all I also use butches bore shine find it good stuff. Patrick croft gunmakers told me to get some fir my rifles it's all he uses

I have tried numerous different copper and carbon cleaners over the years and I am sure they have all been toned down. I do wonder how something that has no odour and apparently is not harmful to the environment is supposed to remove copper. These days I alternate between two types and like bore foam as a starter, give it a spray up the bore and pack my gear away whilst it does it's work then repeat and finish with KG.

Archived