suggestions for calibre.

32 members have voted

1. 1. which calibre for long range varminting and targets out to 1000yds

This may have been done to death already but I'd appreciate your input. A mate wants to build a rifle for long range varminting and informal target shooting out to 1000yds. Criteria are in no particular order:-

1) readily available brass, doesn't have lots of time so no faffing with ackley or tight necks.

2) very good ballistics, (gets windy hereabouts).

3) reasonable barrel life

4) easy to sell on if he gets bored with it and wants something else.

Many thanks

I shoot a 6mmHot which is the same as you call a 6-6.5x47.

I use it for long range pest control and for short range F class 300-600 yards.

I have shot it at 1000 yards and it is superb but will not rub shoulders with the big 7's at this distance in the wind.

The bullet of choice is the 105 A max a superb long range target/varmint bullet.

I have been experimenting with 115 DTAC's and reloader 17 and should get 3000fps+ with this combination.

This will out perform a 6.5-284 shooting 142 Matchkings at 2950 fps in the wind at 1000 yards.

A fantastic and very capable cartridge and personally I found easier to tune than its parent 6.5x47

http://www.6mmhot.com/

Cheers

Dave

Well all the calibres in the poll will work but that's the agony of choice I suppose.

The .308 is a bit that which promotes growth and vigour ballistics wise and I'd discount that first.

6.5x55 is long ish so make sure it fits in whatever action you're using.

Hope that's of some, if only limited, help.

Other would be my vote

6.5x284 being my opted choice.

Alternative would be 260 AI or straight 260 and 6.5x47 in decending order.

Any of the 6 or 6.5's in a nice rifle, correct twist. I like the 47's and have had good experiances with 6 x 6.5 on this case. But then again a straight 243 or 260 will also work, just not using the latter day small more efficient cases - but cheaper brass.

All will 'do' 1000 yards far better than say a 308.

Terry

My vote is the .260 with 140gr bullets but does he want to mag feed or single shot as he might struggle with oal in a mag for the .260 with heavy bullets it so go for the 6.5x47 driving 123gr fast or the 6-6.5x47 .The 6.5x55 is also very nice to shoot but long action will reduce choices of action mag systems .

My vote is the .260 with 140gr bullets but does he want to mag feed or single shot as he might struggle with oal in a mag for the .260 with heavy bullets it so go for the 6.5x47 driving 123gr fast or the 6-6.5x47 .The 6.5x55 is also very nice to shoot but long action will reduce choices of action mag systems .

easy :

long action sako 75

and the best commercial magazine fed action in the world

I have a 260ai as wanted a do it all caliber for the shooting I do and think I would do In the near future. Running 95gr vmax for vermin and 140gr Berger T for deer and long range, just need to chrono the loads for velocities but so far looking good and had no feeding problems as yet.

Go with 6.5x47,

I have one and i use it for everything at the mo.

You will be able to use it for, long range targets, f class, foxes, deer, you name it this cartridge has to be one of the most accurate and versatile calibres around.

You wont regret gettin one.

Garry.

I went 6br as i wanted to fire the 105g amax & also shoot a 55g pill for foxing!

im also a tight arse so the lack of powder burned & the barrel life is also a big plus!

if i ever shoot my 308 out mind ill be considering a 6.5x47 for sure!

cheers Andy

The 6.5x47 seems to be the new kid on the block at the moment. I just finished

one recently and its lazer accurate.

Probably the most requested calibre I get asked to build - all shoot exceptionally well, doesnt appear to matter what they are fed with (although my reamer are throated for 120 - 130 grainers)

Tight neck or standard - dont make much difference either...

Interesting . . . the calibre choice and "deemed acceptability of the condition" is largely dependent upon the "opinion" of your force. Having just moved from Suffolk back to London Met, they have VERY different views on what is acceptable and what they will allow. It causes concern for the genuine, law abiding - and often more clued up FAC holder who has undertaken diligent research on twist rates, and velocity in accordance with the quarry. Time there was a COMMONLY agreed code of best practise and acceptability between all Firearms Offices rather than an ill informed, "I don't like that calibre" !!!!!!

Interesting . . . the calibre choice and "deemed acceptability of the condition" is largely dependent upon the "opinion" of your force. Having just moved from Suffolk back to London Met, they have VERY different views on what is acceptable and what they will allow. It causes concern for the genuine, law abiding - and often more clued up FAC holder who has undertaken diligent research on twist rates, and velocity in accordance with the quarry. Time there was a COMMONLY agreed code of best practise and acceptability between all Firearms Offices rather than an ill informed, "I don't like that calibre" !!!!!!

I agree, Fortunately for me Dyfed Powys allow vermin for comparatively large calibres. My impression is they focus on the inividual rather than what calibre they're shooting. I know that's not the case everywhere.

Archived