New flexible borescope

Many years ago I had the Hawkeye Borescope and it was good but expensive and eventually sold it.

But I recently felt the need to get something not quite as expensive but whilst checking out the 6BR website forum I noticed that a new flexi borescope was mentioned and quite a large number of shooters purchased them from Amazon.    The optical results seemed to please our American cousins so I went onto the companies website to check out the type I wanted (NGT Rifle Borescope) and ordered it on the 5th Oct and it turned up today.    So not too bad considering it came from China and I wasn't ripped off money wise and all went according to plan.

The company is Teslong and I wanted to test it to make sure it was compatible with my Macbook Pro.   So there are only 2 parts to it,   one being the flexi cable with mirror and light source and the other being the USB connector and a dimmer switch on the cable.    The flexi mirror part is about 1 metre long so good enough for most barrels.    The mirror section is 0.194 diameter and is adjustable to give optimum focus dependent upon the bore diameter.   I used mine on my 6BRA barrels and also my .284 Win barrels with no problems.    There is another version for barrels of 0.223 diameter and smaller I believe.

I took a couple of photos of old and new barrels on my heavy gun and have attached some below.    I tried to download 2 vids but they exceed the maximum permitted.

The first photo is of my old barrel in 6BRA and shows the carbon ring.    The second photo is of my new unused Bartlein barrel chambered for 6BRA.    Optical quality is quite good I think.

It didn't cost a fortune and I think I paid about £45 or so and it came via DHL and is trackable and arrived as promised.

Definitely worth a look I think and no I am not importing them so get one yourself lol.

Photo on 2019-10-14 at 15.52.jpg

Photo on 2019-10-14 at 15.47.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You're right about the ignorance aspect but some "detail" you're seeing is so microscopic, it's irrelevant, esp in barrel a good half way through their life. Some people will be tempted to take extreme measures like JBs every time to get a "perfect" clean.

I'm going to get one of these for use in the shop. It will be far better to let customers look at a laptop, rather than watch them trying to bend my hawkeye....

One point I would make though....it takes a pretty experienced eye, too "read" a borescope.

There are a lot of guys who are going to frighten themselves to death .

I am going to get myself one if there's any left, I'm curious to how my bore cleaning regime is and what I may have missed.

I'm sure it will come to have many uses besides rifle bores....

I will have as you say Dave train my eyes too it.

There's no substitute for experience.....

3 hours ago, baldie said:

I'm going to get one of these for use in the shop. It will be far better to let customers look at a laptop, rather than watch them trying to bend my hawkeye....

One point I would make though....it takes a pretty experienced eye, too "read" a borescope.

There are a lot of guys who are going to frighten themselves to death .

Do you have any tips for the "borescope virgins" amongst us, Dave? 

16 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

You're right about the ignorance aspect but some "detail" you're seeing is so microscopic, it's irrelevant, esp in barrel a good half way through their life. Some people will be tempted to take extreme measures like JBs every time to get a "perfect" clean.

Your right no need to get too alarmed I,ve looked at all my barrels now and all have some copper and carbon in there after my cleaning regime but they are all smooth on the patch and rod and shoot extremely well and would not be taking on any more aggressive measures. Throat areas were interesting and all except my 243 showed pretty crisp  well defined concentric tapering to the lands without any cracking I could see so far.Oldest barrel was 12 twist 6BR Kreiger with around 12-1300 rounds and never shot in any hurry. The 243 however had two lands being eaten away before the others and easy to see firecracking on every land.This barrel[non stainless] is on a Sabatti varmint rifle with some 6/700 rounds down it and i do admit to running it a bit warm on the range occasionally.It shoots very well though and again cant feel anything nasty whilst cleaning . Unusually for me but must admit to not using a bore guide on this rifle and probably the reason for two lands wearing so best I get something to fit asap!! Apart from bore scoping this little tool will be sure to have other uses in the workshop I expect.

Thanks Great post and although I own a Hawkeye will be getting one of these too - valuable addition with the ability to record on the Mac 

Mine was relatively quick 3 days via amazon, are you sure you want to do this though? I was very happy not knowing what everything looked like inside and it’s made me paranoid.

you can’t un-see all that fouling you thought you’d scrubbed away. 

8 hours ago, tubby10 said:

Mine was relatively quick 3 days via amazon, are you sure you want to do this though? I was very happy not knowing what everything looked like inside and it’s made me paranoid.

you can’t un-see all that fouling you thought you’d scrubbed away. 

Wait until you look inside your ear! 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, onehole said:

Your right no need to get too alarmed I,ve looked at all my barrels now and all have some copper and carbon in there after my cleaning regime but they are all smooth on the patch and rod and shoot extremely well and would not be taking on any more aggressive measures. Throat areas were interesting and all except my 243 showed pretty crisp  well defined concentric tapering to the lands without any cracking I could see so far.Oldest barrel was 12 twist 6BR Kreiger with around 12-1300 rounds and never shot in any hurry. The 243 however had two lands being eaten away before the others and easy to see firecracking on every land.This barrel[non stainless] is on a Sabatti varmint rifle with some 6/700 rounds down it and i do admit to running it a bit warm on the range occasionally.It shoots very well though and again cant feel anything nasty whilst cleaning . Unusually for me but must admit to not using a bore guide on this rifle and probably the reason for two lands wearing so best I get something to fit asap!! Apart from bore scoping this little tool will be sure to have other uses in the workshop I expect.

Nothing to do with not using a bore guide Dave. You wouldn't wear two lands away by cleaning, if you did it every day.

The lands have worn/dissapeared, because it highly likely its a Hammer forged barrel. Especially the chrome moly ones, are very hard, but very brittle. pieces simply fly off.

Saw it on a TRG .338 not long back. Lowish round count, and six inch of one land, completely missing.