Anyone use a drone ? (flying type )

gunner

My brother and sister in law got me 1 for Christmas , an adult entry level , i was quiet impressed , it was surprisingly fun . So i decided to upgrade to a better 1 a mavic Air and oh my the features on this is bloddy amazing . It can fly at 42 mph , has a range of about 1.2 Miles . 4K camera & video . Has "return to home" even if it looses signal and i mean within 1 foot of where you took off from ! It folds up in a small case , iv already got a customer that iv taken Ariel photographs of his house grounds in the slad valley , i even offered another customer in severn springs the same for a small fee . But one great thing is i can fly to see targets on zero / drop confirmation day lol lazy yes but trust me if you had a go you would probably be hooked . Its got obstacle ovoidance too , i think its restricted to 500 feet high / 200 meters ? I post some pics tomorrow :)

Just Mavic Air , not the pro unfortunately . 

I had a dji phantom 3 pro ,with some fat shark goggles I was an amazing bit of kit ,gave a whole new perspective flying over my shoot 

The owners of a piece of land I manage use a DJI Phantom to assess deer damage on a SSSI where access is tricky.

Really useful piece of kit 

Had I the funds free would buy similar for the same job on other ground I manage 

Believe one can buy thermal camera now which makes assessment on open areas a whole lot easier 

Its on private land / estate - no town houses etc and soon to be shooting grounds with owners permission , so think i shouldn't need any license what so ever . 

Ronin my friend had a phantom 4 pro and that's unbelievable bit of kit very expensive . Very easy to fly 

I purchased a phantom 4 but it didn't quite work out it went a bit mad as flight to Max height then just plummet to the ground.took it back to the shop. The sale rep took it outside to try.  did we get a shock it went at full throttle side words, lost control and it plowed into the side of shop.the shop gave my money back and simply said Sorry.

Here are some pictures if you have never seen one , hopefully it'll show its realistic size in pics. 

IMG_20190403_182517.jpg

IMG_20190403_182352.jpg

IMG_20190403_182327.jpg

More pics

IMG_20190403_182315.jpg

IMG_20190403_182229.jpg

IMG_20190403_182144.jpg

Last picture

IMG_20190403_182124.jpg

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, justin credible said:

It would certainly be useful to see what some of the markers get up to in Stickledown butts!

You read my mind. 

Unfortunately it's a no-go at Bisley with-out Mr Mercers express permission.
They've added it in the bye-laws specifically now.

I'll dig out my email conversation with the Range Office if anyone is interested.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, gunner said:

Its on private land / estate - no town houses etc and soon to be shooting grounds with owners permission , so think i shouldn't need any license what so ever . 

The CAA (referencing ANO 2016) states

" A permission from the CAA is required for any commercial work with a drone "

and then ;

"A commercial operation is defined as:
 ‘flight by a small unmanned aircraft.....in return for remuneration or other valuable consideration.’ "

So any flight 'for a small fee' is commercial and permission from the CAA is required. Your location doesn't matter apart from being in UK Airspace.

I wouldn't charge anything even if i did take pictures for them as im doing my real job there that pays good anyway . So it wouldn't even be classed as commercial work . Now knowing there's all these 'rules' etc it could only be for 2 or 3  people a year anyway without charge - id be doing them a little favor , for nothing in return but a flight round there land / dwelling simply for photographs to then email them to the customer . I enjoy flying this thing its challenging and fun . But god forbid they give me 10 or 20 quid so it covered my fuel there and back lol . 

On 4/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, gunner said:

Just be careful what you publicise  - even on totally private land you need a CAA licence and insurance to charge any type of fee for flying a drone/filming etc, no exceptions. 

3 hours ago, Blue Haze said:

Just be careful what you publicise  - even on totally private land you need a CAA licence and insurance to charge any type of fee for flying a drone/filming etc, no exceptions. 

Don't worry, after stating it'd be "for a small fee" it has changed to "I wouldn't charge anything".