Rifle Scope for .223. Max £400

ColinBR

I’m looking to start centrefire shooting this year with a .223 Tikka T3x out to a maximum of 500 yards, with the range our club uses being both 200 and 500 yards. 

Not sure on which scope to put on this though for up to a maximum of £400 (don’t want to pay too much just now as still not sure if I’ll stick to it yet). So looking for some recommendations on what to have a look at or what to avoid.

Sorry it this has been asked a few times before and annoys anyone. 

T.I.A Colin

dont buy cheap! get something you know will be reliable.i would say out to 600 a decent veriable scope .depends on your eye sight but up around 3x12x50/56 leupold will get you there,ziess/s&b/swaro/delta .if you buy cheap or some thing all singing all dancing you will spend more money later on !i have spent  a lot of money on good quality scopes and have never been unhappy with my choice.personal choice would be to avoid hawke as i dont know any one that has been happy with them and most get sold on quickly.save for a bit longer.good luck with your choice.

Hi, why not go second hand? the classified on here have lots of scopes for sale - I have purchased several s/h scopes from acquaintances/dealers etc and found it a good way to ascertain what suits best. You can always sell it on if not suitable, also Optics warehouse have a try before you buy facility I believe. I have been able to use Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Weaver, Leupold, Hawke, Rudolph etc without spending an arm and a leg in the long term (good quality scopes lose little on the s/h market, others lose more - no names).

Scopes are a very personal choice!

ATB M

8 hours ago, banus02 said:

dont buy cheap! get something you know will be reliable.i would say out to 600 a decent veriable scope .depends on your eye sight but up around 3x12x50/56 leupold will get you there,ziess/s&b/swaro/delta .if you buy cheap or some thing all singing all dancing you will spend more money later on !i have spent  a lot of money on good quality scopes and have never been unhappy with my choice.personal choice would be to avoid hawke as i dont know any one that has been happy with them and most get sold on quickly.save for a bit longer.good luck with your choice.

This is bang on. I have regretted buying cheap but never regretted buying quality . It will add to your experience, success and confidence. I know the expenditure takes some coming to terms with but if you do pack up you have a good scope that will be wanted re re sale. 2nd hand with some guarantee is the way to go. Look at Macleod of Tain 

good luck

You can pick up a used Sightron Siii 10 x 42 or Vortex Gen1 PST for that sort of money or a used Bushnell Elite Tactical 2.5-16 x 42.  All will do what you want of them and the variable ones will be easy to shift on when you eventually upgrade (as you will).

Thanks for the reply’s guys. 

I have no issue with buying secondhand, and will have a look in the for sale section nearer the time. 

So for the money what would be recommended second hand wise then, and I will have a dig around online for more info on them?

Thanks again

7 hours ago, 17 Rem said:

6-18 Leupold here, boxed and in very good order. Yours for £250.

Thanks for the offer. 

I plan on buying the rifle in the next couple of months, so I’m not really in a position to buy just yet. 

Really just gathering as much info as I can at the moment. 

Appreciate the offer though thanks

Colin

Archived