Suppressor Round Up: What are people using?

Reading the thread on suppressor care, I've realised I've completely taken my eye off the ball over the last couple of years. There are makes and models being mentioned that are new to me (I'm wondering if anyone even buys T8s anymore?!)

Wondering if people would be kind enough to post very brief 'name, rank, number' and a pic of what they're using.

(interested in size, weight, material, perceived pros and cons and any other assessment)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pics just yet but.....

22LR A Tec rimfire

17 Rem Hausken SD228 17 cal

6,5x55 BR Reflex T8

308w A Tec Maxim

Also have a ASE UTRA jet Z CQB that I used on a 222 and hope to use on a 6BR.

All are good. Hausken and Jet Z my favourites.

Rimfire mod just shook out after use.

The others oiled and put on radiator.

T8 and Jet Z also rubbed in with turtle wax on outside. Melts in nicely and waterproofs. Not taken any others apart for cleaning.

1 x Jet-z, 2 x AU-SL5. All .30 cal. All threaded 1/2 inch x 20 UNF. Using Jet-z on 6XC. Using AU-SL5 with 260 Rem. A SAK moderator on the .22 LR.

Jet-z was threaded M14, but I got that changed. One of the AU-SL5's may get rethreaded too one of these days.

http://www.aseutra.fi/s-series-sl5-suppressor

Regards JCS

Chaps, any chance of a bit more detail?! :) :)

eg AU-SL5 .....umm, not a clue what that is, or who makes it! :)

Is it, for example, bulky or petite, light or heavy, Al or Steel, does it 'balance' well or does the rifle feel like it has an anchor on the muzzle, is it a conventional or quirky design... what are the claimed Unique Selling Points (ie what 'sold' it to you over other designs) ....any good? Recommended? Disappointed?

Chaps, any chance of a bit more detail?! :) :)

eg AU-SL5 .....umm, not a clue what that is, or who makes it! :)

Is it, for example, bulky or petite, light or heavy, Al or Steel, does it 'balance' well or does the rifle feel like it has an anchor on the muzzle, is it a conventional or quirky design... what are the claimed Unique Selling Points (ie what 'sold' it to you over other designs) ....any good? Recommended? Disappointed?

Look at the pics they posted after you asked them to, they speak a thousand words and tell you all you need to know :lol:

Aimsport predator on 223

Aimsport Triton 42S on 243

Currently ASE Ultra S5 on 308, soon to be Aimsport Triton 50

I like the Aimsport stuff, it's well made, light and does the job, doing work for the importers helps as well.

ASE Utra SL-7. Stainless; non-reflex; non-strippable; class-leading sound suppression; heavy, but bomb-proof. Perfect for what I want it for, which is mounted on a 'range queen'. I would no doubt choose something else if I had to carry it around much.

ThirdEye Spartan 3.............can be stripped for cleaning and reduces recoil considerably (in 308 and 6.5)

Pete

Reading the thread on suppressor care, I've realised I've completely taken my eye off the ball over the last couple of years. There are makes and models being mentioned that are new to me (I'm wondering if anyone even buys T8s anymore?!)

Wondering if people would be kind enough to post very brief 'name, rank, number' and a pic of what they're using.

(interested in size, weight, material, perceived pros and cons and any other assessment)

I have used an Atec maxim on my .243 for a couple of years, and it is light (aluminium with stainless baffles I am told) with very good sound reduction without upsetting the balance of the rifle. I ordered another to go on a recently bought .308, but was supplied with the replacement model: the Atec Hertz 119. This is larger in size but seems similar, if not lighter, in weight (I have not weighed either however), with a smart, brushed aluminium finish. This model is one piece, unlike the modular maxim. Does not upset the balance of the rifle (an r93 pro with standard barrel). Sound suppression seems fine to my poor delicate ears. I like it and would recommend it.

Wildcat on my SGC .223

However - with the wildcat on the 20" barrel it is impossible to adjust the turrets sufficiently to drag the POI back on target

So back to upsetting the neighbours

I had similar issues when I got my first moderator - a T8. I shimmed the rear mount as an interim measure to get on target and later got the front mount machined as a more permanent solution.

Regards

JCS

Baldie did a review of a Onelesscharlie mod to fit over an AI tatical brake so that's the direction I took.

I didn't really need one except to make sure I could shoot at Bisley with it, rather than being told there was no range space because having a brake would disturb other shooters.

Never had a brake before but very pleased with how it controls jump, especially when shooting the McQueens.

The pictures aren't the best quality, I should have tried again after the police helicopter had left................

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

Baldie did a review of a Onelesscharlie mod to fit over an AI tatical brake so that's the direction I took.

I didn't really need one except to make sure I could shoot at Bisley with it, rather than being told there was no range space because having a brake would disturb other shooters.

Never had a brake before but very pleased with how it controls jump, especially when shooting the McQueens.

The pictures aren't the best quality, I should have tried again after the police helicopter had left................

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

too modest mick, probably your career that gives you the eye for photography. At least you put a pic up. I hope the rib is not too painful.

I will post in the AM about the few I currently own including an OLC muzzle can where the construction is flawless.

Pics as requested now I'm home.

OneLessCharlie AS Series in .30 cal

mods1.jpg

mods2.jpg

Things I like:

It's very quiet.

It's light.

It's very well made.

It's made by a man with a real name who offers advice and responds to questions and gives a good service.

Things I don't like:

It didn't come with free cake.

Wildcat Evolution in .224 cal

mods3.jpg

mods4.jpg

mods5.jpg

mods6.jpg

Things I like:

It's quieter than my old Atec Maxim and weighs about the same.

It's well machined.

It's modular.

It's easily stripped and cleaned.

You can use the thread module as a brake/blunderbuss.

Anodised things are sexy, fact.

Things I don't like:

It heats up fast.

No free cake again, what is it with companies these days?

I've just traded my old T8 in for a new one, they just work for me. I've also got PES T12 and large muzzle can, both very good but to me the T8 has the edge.

Can I ask how that rifle in the picture is being held horizontal please?

I've just traded my old T8 in for a new one, they just work for me. I've also got PES T12 and large muzzle can, both very good but to me the T8 has the edge.

Can I ask how that rifle in the picture is being held horizontal please?

its the fishing line on the butt held by the police helicopter.

Archived