Gunman kills several in west Cumbria

Lee

This is all we need...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10214661.stm

hope they get him quick.

Just read about it myself, I wonder if they got him already...Damn, god knows what will happen next...

well at least he did the right thing...up to us now to bear any consequences. Our thoughts to the families of those who lost someone to this idiot...

Apparently a shotgun ..!

Click to read

now there seems to be an eyewitness 'Barrie Moss' who was riding a push bike, He said seen from 25 feet away the gunman had a huge 'sniper rifle' with huge barrel and scope".., But for some reason never shot at him.

then we have doctors saying shotgun wounds and another eyewitness say man running around with a shotgun.

Yup..............Sad day indeed and my thoughts go out to those injured and their families.

But, there will be more sensationalist out cry about the use of fire arms, no matter what it was that was used.

It may turn out to be "legitimate" ownership and hes just gone beserk for a reason only known to himself, and no doubt there will be calls to "ban" what ever.

Will this be an end of bolt action rifles.

Semi Auto .22

Practical Shot guns............

Either which way, I bet there isnt a ban on hammers, kitchen knives, axes, or what ever else somone can get hold of to kill off prostitutes, kiddies, old folk, vunerable or just the unlucky.....

Just watch the news and lets see the response from the organisations we pay our money to.

Think we may wait a long time for the stats on how many killed in last year by illegal weapons :wacko:

Sad thing is that even the most sane person has a breaking point so no matter what they do these things will still happen, be it with home made bombs, legal weapons, illegal weapons, vehicles there are plenty of ways to do it if you are seriously unbalanced and not worried about gettign away.

I feel so sorry for the people in those communities who must know several of the dead and injured with it being a small place.

Thought that the BASC interview was not all it could have been. Sounded to me a bit like a kid whining oh please dont take away our favourite toys....

he was a ticket holder,both shotgun and fac,

atb paul

Typical BBC.............................just watching the news now. Twice the cyclist on the telly....A great big sniper rifle, james bond type thing............

The police will not confirm he held any certificates, its just been on the news, only that they are investing how he had the gun.

I would bet he had no tickets......i bloody pray he hadn,t.He also had convictions for theft. All they had to do when they knew his identity , was access the firearms database, and it would tell them immediatly whether he had licenses, and for what. Why is that info not now known ?

BASC are defending us....God help us.

Most importantly, Thoughts and prayers for the dead, and the injured.

To quote William Buroughs

"After a shooting, they always want to take the guns from thoughs that didn't do it. I would not wish to live in a society, where the only people to have guns were the police and the military"

My thoughts to the families of thoughs lost.

D.

as previously posted he was a ticket holder,and the guns were legally held,this has been confirmed with basc and the sportsman's association.Probably the reason the police haven't confirmed it with the press is to delay the inevitable barrage of questions of why he was allowed to have the guns.

atb paul

My thoughts are with all the familys affected by this.

Watching the news last night..........why oh why can't they get it right..."how did he have so many bullets???" it was a shotgun not a rifle.........

It is a sad sad day indeed, and now we will have to wait for them to come after us......i hope i'm wrong :wacko:

yet another sad day for us ticket holders ..if some body is hell bent on killing some body they will use what ever means they have round them ..4% of all murders in the uk are by shotguns, more people are killed and murdered by neck ties ?

It is a difficult and tragic time for the families of those killed and injured, we are all obviously mindful of that

Information will come out from the police in drips and drabs at the moment, remember they have 30 crime scenes to investigate. So at the moment all we can do is speculate Let’s wait for the official line from the police.

He Home Sec will give a statement this afternoon in the House, we wait to see what is said

BASC, as you may have seen, have given recorded and live interviews on BBC, ITV, CH4 etc, many more are lined up for today with national media and increasingly local media too.

We will fight to do all we can to ensure there is no ‘knee jerk’ reaction to this

Regards

David

David,

Thank you for posting. Is your post here part of a BASC external comms plan or private?

I suspect the former, if so, good idea. But I hope you'll also accept a comment on the BASC media operation to date:

I've now seen Bill Harriman in 2 seperate interviews. In both interviews, his 'line' amounted to little more than what an earlier poster in this thread described thus

Sounded to me a bit like a kid whining oh please dont take away our favourite toys....

A view with which I agree.

I'd be rather stunned/disappointed if BASC hadn't already had in place lines-to-take ready for an awful incident such as this.

If those lines-to-take amount to no more than a statement of the threat to the rural economy should further legislation be put in place, then I am sorely disappointed.

David Cameron's statement today that "You can't legislate to stop a switch flicking in someone's head and this kind of dreadful event taking place," appears rather more appropriate; and he's the fellow you're supposed to be influencing.

I hope we'll see something rather more cerebral from BASC.

Please at least raise BASC's game to match that of the Prime Minister; and certainly, no more naively inappropriate comments about threats to the rural economy.

This is indeed a sad day for cumbria,i live a mile outside of whitehaven and the first thing i knew was when my place of work (sellafield) went into lock down,the worst thing was all the mobile networks were also down for some reason , knowing my partner and young daughter were going into whitehaven was very worrying and not being able to contact them even more so

two of those shot were well known in our village,one artical in one of the papers stated he had a .22 rifle with enough power to drop a dinasor,with comments like this i think it will put the shooting community in a bad light with the general public that have no knowledge of firearms

i think (hope i am wrong) this could be the final nail in the coffin for the shooting community

Bill Harriman,s comment,s yesterday were, quite frankly...a joke.

His opening gambit , or the first one i saw, was bleating on about shooting being an olympic sport....for ###### sake.

Is there any wonder BASC get slated like they do.

This time however, they are going to have to get off their arses, and defend, their CORE contributors.....the sporting shotgun fraternity, because judging by the weapons used, it looks very much like the nutcase was a vermin/sporting shooter.

Please dont take these comments personally David, especially as you are a new member here, but you will sadly find that BASC has few friends here, or in the shooting world in general. People have long memories, and haven,t forgotten the pistol ban, the hunting ban, and the vcr bill. BASC looked after their own arses and members, who shot pheasants and worked gundogs, and ###### to everyone else.

We are trade members by the way, so DO actually contribute.

Archived