Calton Moor Range

A friend of ours has been constructing his new underground 100m range and lodge for some time and being as its near completion we're delighted to be able to be able to reveal the results

Mike Dickinson has created the twin lane range on the edge of the Peak District a stones throw from Ashbourne which is available to book either by the hour or daily rates.

Inside the range

P1000072.jpg

P1000074.jpg

P1000075.jpg

P1000077.jpg

P1000078.jpg

Unless you know its there ;)

P1000079.jpg

Inside the Lodge

P1000084.jpg

P1000086.jpg

P1000087.jpg

P1000088.jpg

Reloading bench for load development on site

P1000091.jpg

Getting down to business

P1000092.jpg

Not sure if the range website is active yet but Mike can be contacted at

http://www.brnoguns.co.uk

Yes the range is very, very good with perfect conditions for load development. Basically its all sunken into the ground so nothing is visible from above ground other than a small building above the target chamber end of the range. Targets are lowered into position from above through a slot in the floor after first being stapled to target boards so no one is ever directly in front of the firing line. There is also a built in light system that turns off the light that illuminates the target if anyone enters the target room above making for a very safe system. Both targets have cameras on them so bullet strikes can be seen clearly on small tv's from the firing point and the first couple of metres of the tubes are lined with rubber to reduce sound and muzzle flash. The firing point chamber is also clad with rubber sheet to further reducing noise. Ear defenders are of course still needed but the sound is no where near as sharp as other tunnel ranges i've used. As can be seen the firing points each have a sturdy bench, each with a rest and rear bag. Heaven.

The club house/class room has all the facilities you'd need for a days load development or class room type instruction.

I'd like to point out I have no commercial interest in the facility other than Mike is a good friend and he has put a lot of hard work into this project with great results. I doubt anyone would be dissapointed.

hi all my name is dweeb well thats what people at the range call me. I work with michael and I'm very pleased to have been involved in the project.A lot of thought and prep has gone into it and i can tell you very long hours geting it ready lol .the pictures above shows what detail, thought and time has gone in to it.

the opening times are as follows:

10.00am-10.00pm 7 days a week.

price is £10.00 hour per tunnel.

firearms certificate holders and general public welcome.

bookings only.

chronograph and reloading bench available on site at extra cost.

tea and coffee available

log cabin available for corporate days,courses and meetings plz ring for details

contact michael on 01538 308697 or 07721671746

address

Calton Moor Farm

Swinscoe

Ashbourne

Derbyshire

DE6 2BU

dweeb

Hi dweeb,

Welcome to the forum,

I just spoke to you on the phone, thanks for your time and the information.

I will certainly be booking a lane in the very near future, and am looking forward to seeing your set up.

All the best with the range.

regards

jma

i must say

i tried this range out in the early stages and was very impressed

and from the pics of the class room it is looking even better as that was not as smart as it is now

just not sure what happened to the breakfast bar as mike does a wicked venison loin steak sandwhich :blink:

Awesome wish it was a bit closer.

Is it true or is it a myth that shooting down a tunnel affects your elavation? Something I have heard over the years and always wondered. :blush:

i did actually notice a slight change of POI from my zero from my own outdoor range, but not by much

but i did take in consideration that the range was not completely finished and the air pressure was not quite as settled as it is now, planning another trip over there later next week just for another play

just a thought WSM why not hav a Varmint UK day out there for a meet and greet plus a play on the range one weekend morning/afternoon

sure you could sort a deal out with Mike if enough interested in it

That sounds like a good idea Stone regarding a meet and greet - i'd like to put faces to names and it would be an ideal venue. Have you tried Mikes wildboar and elderberry champagne burgers by the way - delicious.

Sounds like a great facility, as I pass by on an irregular basis with work would it be possible to ever pop in just to see if a tunnel in available? I appreciate that there my be logistical/H&S reasons why this may not be possible, but just thought I would ask as it would be a shame to be passing and not pop in!

Cheers,

Oly

PS - just thinking, there must be more oppurtunities to do this around the country? How easy was approval and what sort of costs were involved for construction etc?

I tried it out today,

What can i say except ---- Fantastic!!!!

A very warm welcome from the guys, and what a great set up.

I had 2hrs which i think is probably a miniumum to book for, i think i would of found it a bit of a rush with only 1hr.

You can bank on many more visits from me, no doubt at all.

I cannot recomend it highly enough, 10/10 a very well done!!

WSM,

Michael told me that was you leaving as i arrived,i was in the silver/grey BM. I will more than likely see you up there in the near future.

Edit... Iv just booked to go again on thursday morning <_<

regards

jma

We did a bit of load development today with one of my rifles.

the weather has been getting the best of us so we decided to go to this new tunnel facility.

here are some results

IMAG0006.jpg

I could do some fantastic load developing for people using this range.

It takes out all the equations of you moving the wind the rain and god knows what else. This range gets my full recommendations and is a must visit for anyone who live within reasonable distance.

If anyone wants load development doing as I'm an RFD then please get in contact with me.

ATB

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

The range is a 2 and a bit hours drive for me.

But I have to say what a great set-up and well worth the journey.

Unlike other pipe ranges I have used it does not suffer from inadaqute extraction that leads to trying to shoot through a dust cloud after a few rounds.

Friendly helpful people and a great place for Rifle / Scope / Load testing.

• 3 months later...

Now thats what i call a good range , the local range has only got a 25 indoor and 50 outdoor range bit to short for the 223

• 2 weeks later...

Archived