Chronograph advice , recommendations?

Paul,

OK, well here goes, but it is a good news / bad news reply.

Good News

I have tried quite a few with varying degrees of accuracy / reliability but the best I have found (without spending serious money) is the Oehler 35P (see below for URL):

http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html

Bad News

They don't make them anymore so you'll have to try and find a used one in good working condition (easier said than done).

Think most on hear will tell you they are rarely seen advertised and when they are they are very quickly sold.

A "half loaf" reply I know, but better than nothing I suppose.

cheers for reply

any advice better than nothing !!!

pity they stopped making them

i know nowt bout chronos so was just wondering if any that i should avoid at all costs etc

anybody any experience of these 2??

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/produc...ronograph+Beta/

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/produc...F1+Chronograph/

for example if not much between them i could be saving near 40 quid approx!!

cheers again

sauer / paul

I'm sort of surprised to see The Sportsman flogging the Shooting Chrony - didn't even know that machine was still around, always used to be a reasonably performing fairly cheap 'n' cheerful chrono. I thought Sportsman would still be selling the CED Millennium; I bought mine from them some years ago when it was quite new on the market and I think they had the UK agency or something. It's a very good chrono, well built and reliable, and appears to have built up a considerable reputation here and in the USA. Dunno how much it costs now but it's a nice machine, recommended.

HTH - TonyH

Another vote for the alpha shooting chrony. We,ve sold them for a good few years, and i,ve had mine about 4 years i think. Mine has the remote control with 15 foot wire, and is dead easy to set up and use. I would like to get a printer for it too. They do a complete package with it all in for reasonable money i believe.

A friend has an Oehler..........the ######. :rolleyes:

The day he croaks....i,ll be round his place so fast....he wont even be cold.

Another vote for the alpha shooting chrony. We,ve sold them for a good few years, and i,ve had mine about 4 years i think. Mine has the remote control with 15 foot wire, and is dead easy to set up and use. I would like to get a printer for it too. They do a complete package with it all in for reasonable money i believe.

A friend has an Oehler..........the ######. :rolleyes:

The day he croaks....i,ll be round his place so fast....he wont even be cold.

I have the Alpha with the printer, etal. It is a very nice unit and prints reports at the end of each (pre-designated) string with Hi, Low, Average, Standard Deviation. Very useful. When I use it in conjunction with a second chronograph I can also tabulate ballistic coefficients for my specific altitude, velocity, etc. Makes for very accurate ballistic models (tables) ~Andrew

Hi Paul,

Its the shooting chrony models, not the CED one. I believe [as far as i can recall ] they do the alpha, beta, and gamma models.

Mine does hi, low, average, ES, and SD, which is what you want really for the few extra quid. The basic one just gives a fps readout. The better ones will do shot strings, memory etc, and they arent much more. Very reliable units too. The main importer in the UK is actually Theoben engineering, the airgun people.

I have a Oehler 35p

Baldies got first dibs :rolleyes:

Had CED Milenium - er <_< , never again.

Used Pact - OK for portability and easy set up / cost.

Oehler is in different league, the family still do make them they are a husband and wife team, but they do not advertise this.

Spares are easy to come by, not that you will need anything other than screen parts as they are bomb proof reliable.

YOU have an oehler too ? :rolleyes:

Thats TWO friends i have with them.......

Hmmm..... <_<

Sauer. Whilst contemplating my navel in the weekly bath :unsure: I was reading sinclairs catalogue. All shooting chrony,s which are " masters" have the remote control screen and lead. The alpha is the very basic one. The beta is the one that does enough, and the gamma, is the all singing, all dancing one, with a huge memory, and the remote, and also the ballistic printer.

Phew.

I have a Oehler 35p

Oehler is in different league, ..

You need to try the Model 43 Lab then :rolleyes:

Now THAT'S a real machine!

Luckily I didn't have to outlay the dosh for one- just get to use my mates' one

I still use my Pact for basic vels but this is three planets removed.

Chris-NZ

Ian

re the CED, I must have got a duffer, had no end of trouble with it (poor reading, eats batteries etc etc)

No such issies with Oehler.

Chris,

yep 43 would be primary choice if I had a indoor range or made my own bullets or had testing facillities.

If I need this, I have a pal who has a MS Instruments Ballistic Data Acquisition System that is certified - useful for producing data for marginal deer calibres (like 6PPC) for forces who require ballistic data before authorising.....

Ian

re the CED, I must have got a duffer, had no end of trouble with it (poor reading, eats batteries etc etc)

I don't think you were alone Andy, I had nothing but trouble with mine. I did hear an internet rumor that there was a faulty batch made and the problem was not made aware to the public.

My brother in law used to repair electronic equipment, he said that CED didn't really have a very good name.

I now have the CED Millennium 2 and it works perfectly, I still have the old Millennium 1, in the spring I'm going to have great delight in drilling a 7MM hole though it :)

In case anyone is considering a CED Millennium, buy the newest version, it's the blue one.

You could be right about that faulty batch, but my CED was one of the first available in UK and it's never given any trouble whatsoever. I've used several other types of chrono over the years, too, so I have plenty of comparisons.

TonyH

My CED Millenium functions well enough, a little fussy if the round doesn't travel through in the right place. Takes abit of faffing about if you want to record MV's and shoot targets at the same time.

Very fussy when I put the leads in back to front :) and shoot another two or three rounds before having the smarts to check the leads before you empty the box :D

Pete.

I'll echo Andrew and Baldie's recommendation on the Shooting Chrony's. I have the Beta Master version (I always crack up when you say the name in reverse :) ). I have never had any problems with it, and they come with a lifetime warranty if a friend...ahem...drills a 9.3mm hole through it... :lol:

BTW, IIRC I had heard that Oehler actually makes the components for Shooting Chrony's (hence why they don't make the 35P anymore).

crikey i wanted replies and flood gates open!!!!

cheers agian guys , lots of advice and help on this one

now.....

anybody selling a chrono then? :lol: ????.........................

sauer / paul

I used to have the CED millenium chrono (mk1) but found it a PITA. It needs a tripod for one thing. I had cases of the screen not picking up the bullets on occasion ( I had it at your BBQ Ian remember)

In the end I sold it as it was just too cumbersome.

I now have the Gamma Master. 100x better although the remote display for the CED was nice. Nice printer, better reliability on readouts. Packs away in a nice case for ease of transport and can be used on any flat surface or tripod if you prefer.

Purchased mine in the US for a hundred quid when the £/$ was in our favour.

Mark

Archived