Bench mounted primer

Montey

Happy with the rcbs auto prime. Although loading up the tube does add an extra step in the reloading process. Makes life easier than a handheld device. Probably safer in case a primer goes off as it’s not going to be near to your body and would deflect the blast upwards towards the ceiling . 

This:

https://www.reloading.co.uk/lee-autobenchprime.html

This is the best I found for ease and speed of use..............of course, it's a Lee, so the reloading cognoscenti might roll their eyes.....

Pete

34 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

This:

https://www.reloading.co.uk/lee-autobenchprime.html

This is the best I found for ease and speed of use..............of course, it's a Lee, so the reloading cognoscenti might roll their eyes.....

Pete

How very dare you compare a precision tool at £850 to one at £32 !   Next you'll be saying that a funnel for ££££ is not worth it !!     😂😂

Personally I use an RCBS bench primer bought second hand, it works just fine with plenty of feel.

I'll second @Popsbengo's comment, I use an RCBS bench primer, and while I am sure the primal rights one is amazing, I think for me it is a better value proposition, and certainly speeds up priming and offers a good amount of feel when seating, without killing your hand either.

I also vote for the RCBS, I've been using mine for around six months, no issues so far.  I wouldn't call it top end, that would have to be the Primal Rights

I did have the Lee unit that Re-Pete refers to but it only lasted a year before self destruction

Mine's been going strong since they first came out...........gotta be three or four years, possibly more.

I have several "magazines" for it so replenishing primers take seconds.

Pete

I had a look at that....what's the point of the "crush control" ? An added complication to justify a higher price?

Surely all that's needed is to be able to feel when the rim of the primer cup hits the bottom of the pocket.

At that point, the anvil is, by design, at the optimum position to allow the percussion of the firing pin denting the cup to ignite the charge.

Squeeze any harder when priming, and you'll likely distort the cup, forcing the anvil to push gently through the compound and touch the inside surface of the cup, thus killing the primer........or it'll go bang.

Pete

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

I had a look at that....what's the point of the "crush control" ? An added complication to justify a higher price?

Surely all that's needed is to be able to feel when the rim of the primer cup hits the bottom of the pocket.

At that point, the anvil is, by design, at the optimum position to allow the percussion of the firing pin denting the cup to ignite the charge.

Squeeze any harder when priming, and you'll likely distort the cup, forcing the anvil to push gently through the compound and touch the inside surface of the cup, thus killing the primer........or it'll go bang.

Pete

Bryan Litz has some interesting thoughts on primer insertion force etc.  He says it's a 5th order variable and not worth consideration unless so many other factors are sorted.  They certainly don't bother when testing at Applied Ballistics Lab.    F-Class John did some tests (in his words, not very scientific) and found increasing crush made grouping worse.  Me, I think quality brass with uniformed pocket depth and an RCBS bench primer sets all my primers the same finished depth (ok, from the head not the rim, I know) works well enough to be a non-issue.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread - hope people don’t mind me jumping in. 

Derraco in Australia (makers of the Ugly Annealer) are soon to be producing one of these primers. I’ve been told by the owner that they are a few weeks away from being finalised, but shouldn’t be long now. Can’t give prices, but about 15-20% of the Primal Rights version.

I found them via their Facebook page if anyone is interested:

https://fb.watch/nrWREQ0JEq/

Keith Glasscock (another serious F class shooter) did some primer seating depth testing and found it doesn’t make a difference either.

I personally use the 21st century hand held click primer tool. Granted it’s a bit slower than a bench mounted tool but it’s precise (whatever that’s worth!), is light and saves space on the bench for my Henderson trimmer. Now THAT is worth the money!

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

Keith Glasscock (another serious F class shooter) did some primer seating depth testing and found it doesn’t make a difference either.

I personally use the 21st century hand held click primer tool. Granted it’s a bit slower than a bench mounted tool but it’s precise (whatever that’s worth!), is light and saves space on the bench for my Henderson trimmer. Now THAT is worth the money!

Funny you should mention that, as he said that was their next project 😂😂 Clearly they want to try and mimic the top end stuff. 

I use a Lee bench primer myself and it’s fine for big batches as you don’t get the hand ache like you do from a handheld, plus it’s quicker than a press mounted primer, but it does lack a bit of feel, and my ham-fisted mate managed to somehow mangle several primers into the cup whilst I was (trying) to teach him the basics of reloading. Clearly I haven’t found my niche yet…..

To be fair, sometime mine won’t come out of the collet and it’s because I haven’t seated them quite far enough and have to give it a second go. There is clearly something to be said for a nice precision tool.