44mag light gallery loads

Kipper

Currently using 10.6gn of Viht V340, 240gn shellhouse cast bullet, starline brass in a Rossi 92. Shoots well, not too much oompf. This I’d say is a Viht equivalent of a Unique load, given N340 is in a similar burn rate to Unique.

However, I asked around for an even lighter load was was recommended around 6.2gn of either Vectan GM3 or Maxam CBS-5.

I couldn’t find Vectan locally but bought a few tubs of CBS-5 to try. Haven’t tried it yet though.

7 hours ago, Miseryguts said:

Hi, I use 6.0gr. Unique behind a 240gr LSWC bullet. MV is 1020fps with a Sd between 7 and 9

Rifle is Henry Big Boy

M

My Henry shoots well with 7.6 grains Unique and 240 grain lead hard cast RNFP. I find any load greater than this gives me leading issues with Unique.

From memory that gives about 1100 FPS. Hits what it points at 50 yards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jimcoops said:

I am just starting to use an underlever in gallery. I have a .44 mag Marlin which I am loading with 4.8gn of CSB5, which with 240gn RNFP gives me a MV of 870 fps and a ME of 406 ft/lb. It groups at 0.75” at 25yds. There are several of the National team who are using similar loads 

Hi Jim,

Interesting - I’ve just started using CBS5 in a .44 Rossi, also with a Shellhouse 240gn RNFP.

Im using 6.4gn CBS5, which was a recommendation from another user on this forum. I’ve not chrono’d yet, but seems a nice powder puff load and is more accurate than me at 25m. I started at 6.0gn and worked up in 0.1gn increments, finding the 6.3gn and 6.4gn producing tighter groups with little / no recoil increase. Cases don’t appear sooty, so they are getting enough brass to chamber ‘seal’.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, Scrumbag said:

I have a load of 6.5gr of Unique with a 240gr RNFP that shoots well but Unique is a bear of a powder to handle. Sticks to everything, doesn't go through a thrower consistently... think I'm going to try Universal next...

So it's bullseye, bugger to clean out my chargemaster

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

Good to know. Bullseye sounds more and more likely.

What I find a bit peeving is Viht don't show a load for powders that will work with cast bullets in .44 Special and.44 mag

Use one of my loads above - 10.6gn VV N340 in .44mag cases, 240gn RNFP lead bullet.