Multiple shooting

Chris-NZ

I think there were quite a few shooters who became depressed/ill purely as a result of having legally held guns confiscated back in '97.....

Pete

On 8/16/2021 at 1:51 PM, Popsbengo said:

Yes, that occurred to me - resources already strained, hardly likely to get additional help.

The Gun Control Network and other anti-gun campaigners, including many ill-informed politicians will be more than happy to see the cost of any amount of additional resources deemed necessary heaped directly on the shooters. Another X  hundred pounds on the cost of an application/renewal will see another tranche of shooters lost. 

(My local medical practice already requires £80 to tick the medical forms) 

4 hours ago, 1066 said:

The Gun Control Network and other anti-gun campaigners, including many ill-informed politicians will be more than happy to see the cost of any amount of additional resources deemed necessary heaped directly on the shooters. Another X  hundred pounds on the cost of an application/renewal will see another tranche of shooters lost. 

(My local medical practice already requires £80 to tick the medical forms) 

Hm, £80 for what must take 10 minutes.......Nice work if you can get it

22 minutes ago, ezmobile said:

Hm, £80 for what must take 10 minutes.......Nice work if you can get it

I expect you speak from a position of knowledge there?  No?

The time taken to check someones' records will surely depend on how many visits they've made to the GP in the 10 years preceding the application..........

Pete

2 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I guess everyone is aware of this service that is available for medical report.

Medical reports for UK firearms and shotgun certificates (firearmsmedicalreports.co.uk)

That's a really useful link, thanks. 

Yes, thanks for that link...........might come in handy, as my GP for the last 25 years retired a year ago, and I have a renewal coming up early next year...

Pete

TV license £795.00  for 5 years 

OR 

FAC and SGC £111.00 for 5 years ( renewal)

docs report say £65 average for 5 years 

total of £176 for the same period or £35.20 a year 

its hard to work out which one is the bargain ….

A fair number of Shooters do make me chuckle , on my shoot days I will have people turn up in £90K Range Rover  wearing £1000 of crap  and a shotgun worth 3-10K , pay £300 for a day , then another £50 on a meal , all while bitching to me that the price of cartridges have gone up £10 per 1000 

FAC holders are no different, we don’t think twice about spending hundreds of pounds on reloading crap that we seem to think we need . A doctors charge for service is just insignificant and lost within in the £££ we spend in five years 🤣 

my village doctors charge me £55 to sign off my tickets and I’ll be honest and say I have no problem with it . After all we’re effectively asking someone to ( for want of another word ) vouch for us , I would certainly not be happy to put my name and professional opinion maybe career  to someone’s name . 

Just my opinion.. but it is what it is .

2 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

TV license £795.00  for 5 years 

OR 

FAC and SGC £111.00 for 5 years ( renewal)

docs report say £65 average for 5 years 

total of £176 for the same period or £35.20 a year 

its hard to work out which one is the bargain 

A fair number of Shooters do make me chuckle , on my shoot days I will have people turn up in £90K Range Rover  wearing £1000 of crap  and a shotgun worth 3-10K , pay £300 for a day , then another £50 on a meal , all while bitching to me that the price of cartridges have gone up £10 per 1000 

FAC holders are no different, we don’t think twice about spending hundreds of pounds on reloading crap that we seem to think we need . A doctors charge for service is just insignificant and lost within in the £££ we spend in five years 🤣 

my village doctors charge me £55 to sign off my tickets and I’ll be honest and say I have no problem with it . After all we’re effectively asking someone to ( for want of another word ) vouch for us , I would certainly not be happy to put my name and professional opinion maybe career  to someone’s name . 

Just my opinion.. 

hear, hear!  Wholly agree, well said.

22 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Possibly not, but as third party operations can provide the service for as little as 50 quid, as part of a presumably financially viable business, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume the time involved in most cases (I'm probably not the only one who's seen a doctor once in the last x-decades!?) is not 'excessive'...

I didn't personally have issue with paying whatever my GP wanted to charge me as long as it was done in a timely fashion - the fee didn't turn out to be relevant however as mine is a 'conscientious objector to the holding of firearms', and refused to engage...

15 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

Possibly not, but as third party operations can provide the service for as little as 50 quid, as part of a presumably financially viable business, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume the time involved in most cases (I'm probably not the only one who's seen a doctor once in the last x-decades!?) is not 'excessive'...

I didn't personally have issue with paying whatever my GP wanted to charge me as long as it was done in a timely fashion - the fee didn't turn out to be relevant however as mine is a 'conscientious objector to the holding of firearms', and refused to engage...

Well I'd say it's difficult to know what the 'true cost' is to a GP practice however professional services are generally expensive - a solicitor for example.  The BMA have issued guidance to GPs but some just don't want to assist in the process - they are supposed to offer an alternative GP from within the practice if possible.

At least there are solutions available - interestingly though the applicant still needs to obtain their medical records and to provide them, I'm not sure if the summary available through online  patient access is sufficient.

I completed the MedCert application online, had a letter from the surgery asking for permission to provide MedCert with my history about a week later and then got my report from MedCert after about 3 weeks, all pretty painless.

3 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

I completed the MedCert application online, had a letter from the surgery asking for permission to provide MedCert with my history about a week later and then got my report from MedCert after about 3 weeks, all pretty painless.

Good to know, thanks 

Not certain whether or not my GP surgery consists of conscientious objectors or just plain dozy….I gave them permission to send my records to Medcert and several weeks later a check with Medcert to review progress resulted in me finding they had yet to send them!

They said they were very busy I told them to get some staff….Med cert however were very efficient.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:59 PM, Popsbengo said:

Actually, yes.                                                                                                                                                          Sorry, I know, I should have learned by now to keep opinions to myself sometimes, but when you're currently hearing stories about G.P.'s surgeries having 'locked doors' or not seeing patients and packing them off to the local A&E instead, well........

Also, G.P.'s aren't always in a position to consider, or determine someones 'mental condition', that's not what they're necessarily trained for, but some still prescribe anti - depressants, sometimes to people who are just feeling a bit down. Sorry - That also comes from a position of knowledge!

Edited by ezmobile