Something completely different

ds1

So birthday time, and it’s been a crap start to the New Year. Decided to cheer myself up......some will know on here that I own my own range in CZ and run courses for sport shooting, civi CCW , police. 70% of the time it’s pistol stuff and the rest carbine 9mm / 223 etc I want a pistol that I can CCW and also be a range toy that’s fun to shoot. The Cz Shadow 2 ticks most of the boxes but it’s heavy to CCW and I wanted something of better quality.

8296161B-37D7-457D-87D4-A0ADCD7C1559.jpeg.e852ff58a335dc2de0b3ba1b8eb82fa5.jpeg

I ended up with a STI Costa Carry Comp. it’s an integral compensated  2011 9mm that’s very well put together. I would describe it as middle of the road price wise at around £4K and not a custom gun. There are better- SVI, Atlas, AKAI, Nighthawk and others spring to mind but you can easily drop 6-8k for them. The 2011 design - basically a double stack 9mm was around in the U.K. I think just before the pistol ban - Caspian sold frame kits. The primary market is / was IPSC / USPSA but companies particularly STI ( name now changed to Staccato) developed the 2011 for more service / duty use. The Costa is an early collaboration with Chris Costa on a limited production run to get them into that sort of market place. The first run had Costas name on the left, side ports in the compensator and a flats on the barrel hood to match the slide tri-cut. They then did a limited (200) run for the Magnum PI series ( new version of Tom Selek ). It had black grips, no Costa billboard and solid compensator side walls. I guess after they made 200 they carried on making them with normal serial numbers and tan grips......which is what I have. 

The pistol feature a monolithic barrel and compensator, billet steel frame with plastic grip. Island front sight.  Trigger weigh is a bit heavy for me at 3lbs but reset is excellent. Tri-cut slide. Attention to detail is excellent- lack of any machine marks and the slide is as smooth as glass on the rails. It has it’s price.  I will try a trijicon Mount for the SRO on it but it will take time to arrive from the states.

F2396EFC-9DD7-45EA-ADC1-9EC0AD8E228C.jpeg.61f9333fea889e9b99c370094231678c.jpeg

694F6081-CE6B-4D22-BFF3-FE7C9EE1B026.jpeg.2de4c997c4d88a5deb08e536af7ee841.jpeg

I've not shot it yet - plan is next week to go to a private range - a bloke bought a cz Alien so want to get some testing impressions side by side against that- also happens he has his own legal shooting range in the basement of his house - 20m - as you do.

23 minutes ago, ds1 said:

So birthday time, and it’s been a crap start to the New Year. Decided to cheer myself up......some will know on here that I own my own range in CZ and run courses for sport shooting, civi CCW , police. 70% of the time it’s pistol stuff and the rest carbine 9mm / 223 etc I want a pistol that I can CCW and also be a range toy that’s fun to shoot. The Cz Shadow 2 ticks most of the boxes but it’s heavy to CCW and I wanted something of better quality.

I ended up with a STI Costa Carry Comp. it’s an integral compensated  2011 9mm that’s very well put together. I would describe it as middle of the road price wise at around £4K and not a custom gun. There are better- SVI, Atlas, AKAI, Nighthawk and others spring to mind but you can easily drop 6-8k for them. The 2011 design - basically a double stack 9mm was around in the U.K. I think just before the pistol ban - Caspian sold frame kits. The primary market is / was IPSC / USPSA but companies particularly STI ( name now changed to Staccato) developed the 2011 for more service / duty use. The Costa is an early collaboration with Chris Costa on a limited production run to get them into that sort of market place. The first run had Costas name on the left, side ports in the compensator and a flats on the barrel hood to match the slide tri-cut. They then did a limited (200) run for the Magnum PI series ( new version of Tom Selek ). It had black grips, no Costa billboard and solid compensator side walls. I guess after they made 200 they carried on making them with normal serial numbers and tan grips......which is what I have. 

The pistol feature a monolithic barrel and compensator, billet steel frame with plastic grip. Island front sight.  Trigger weigh is a bit heavy for me at 3lbs but reset is excellent. Tri-cut slide. Attention to detail is excellent- lack of any machine marks and the slide is as smooth as glass on the rails. It has it’s price.  I will try a trijicon Mount for the SRO on it but it will take time to arrive from the states.

I've not shot it yet - plan is next week to go to a private range - a bloke bought a cz Alien so want to get some testing impressions side by side against that- also happens he has his own legal shooting range in the basement of his house - 20m - as you do.

Just simply lovely   . If you had the Manum PI version  you would have had to grow a moustashe

9 minutes ago, ds1 said:

Derek the baseball cap I can do :) The Hawaiian shirt......don’t know. 

The hawain shirt may be rorys dept    as for see want buy  does a scmitt ruben count ?

BD, glocks (g17 gen5 ) start about £600. These days the red-dot you put on it - (trijicon SRO pictured next to the Costa), cost about £750.......Holosun considerably cheaper.

I like Aaron’s take on cost - he’s talking about a Nighthawk, which does what the Costa does but at considerably more cost - but then again it is hand built by one gunsmith.

1 hour ago, ds1 said:

I am super keen to try the Alien. The tech seems logical.

Ewen, I have tried it but only 20 rounds a while ago. Think of it like a Chiappa Rhino. Very little muzzle rise but the recoil goes back into your wrist - it’s quite a direct recoil. The 2011s that I have shot have less direct recoil and muzzle flip is controlled by the compensator.

The grip on the Alien feels nicer than the 2011  in my hands - it is very cz like. The gas system- same principle as HK p7 -/m13 etc and same issue - it gets hot, a German YouTube channel shot 50 rounds through it fast - around the trigger was 90+C I think. Barrel life may be an issue from what I’ve read on Czech forums - around 40k, not surprising considering the heat issues. This is not one season of IPSC shooting practice for some I know. It’s an IPSC game gun but some top shooters have used it and gone back to a Shadow 2.

Richard  makes the holster and bags for it so I would sooner cut my di*k off with a pair of rusty scissors than buy one but I fully acknowledge that as my personal bias. The Alien comes with much more kit than the STI like separate top rails with iron sights and an included RTS 2 red dot so I think is better value.

9B9AE0C3-945D-40BD-941C-FCFBF7949F0D.jpeg.e3adb84db20e52640811fd5e402fdc45.jpeg

Lapua,  CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon).....short version....concealed carry. It’s legal in CZ ( I think even protected under our 2A - Second Amendment type rights). Cz -11m population.......about 370,000 FACS of which 250,000 have CCW.

9 hours ago, ds1 said:

Lapua,  CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon).....short version....concealed carry. It’s legal in CZ ( I think even protected under our 2A - Second Amendment type rights). Cz -11m population.......about 370,000 FACS of which 250,000 have CCW.

Tell me again how can i get a license there  ......

9 hours ago, ds1 said:

Do you have to have 'good reason' type justification, or is it just a 'right'?

10 hours ago, ds1 said:

Interesting. Do a lot of those carry all of the time do you think or just when they think it might be a good idea? I wonder how often weapons get pulled out? Whats the mindset of your average cc’r??

BD, done by test as part of your FAC. To get an FAC you need a doctors letter ( no mental illness, medication etc - that’s 5 year renewable). A physical shooting skills test - rifle, pistol and shotgun for hunters- consist of shooting competence test and disassembly/ reassembly and a written test - covers firearms law, first aid and technical aspects of firearms. The result is point based - more points = more categories you can have the lowest is collectors and the highest is concealed carry or open carry as part of your job ( cannot open carry otherwise). At the moment the FAC last 10 years ( except doctors cert) but you only need to do the test once. Provided you meet those conditions and obviously no criminal convictions you can have a FAC. It’s written into the constitution that people have a right to an FAC provided they meet the legal requirements.

Cut and paste .....

Northern Ireland still allows the carry of concealed handguns for the purpose of self defence. A FAC for a personal protection weapon will only be authorised where the Police Service of Northern Ireland deems there is a "verifiable specific risk" to the life of an individual, and that the possession of a firearm is a reasonable, proportionate and necessary measure to protect their life . 

Lapua, I would say it’s not like the Wild West. People are discrete. Of those that I know with CCW I would say at least half carry on a regular basis.

Random page from ‘ hunting bazar’ - cz version of gunbroker. Pistol section - it’s more or less all practical size - glocks, cz.

http://bazar.hunting-shop.cz/sekce/66-pistole/?&list=2

37 minutes ago, ds1 said:

And a Britarms .22lr. That’s a blast from the past........ used to shoot one of them in a club in Penzance of all places.......30+ years ago.

I also had a Britarms 2000 - did me well until it was made into a manhole cover or some such.

This is the closest thing I have now.: A .32 Patriot and .357 Alfa.

TUR93T2l.jpg

5lVU7Dul.png

Dave,

nice pistil, keep posting things like that and I will have to come over and shoot. Looks good quality and thought out.

Just wish they’d not put ‘Costa’ in the name - after that Japanese airsoft thing I cannot see ‘ Costa’ without flashback to the video 🤔😂

Alan, the Britarms was fine, just the slide hold open pin kept flying off. I moved on to a FAS 602.

Terry, still a connection, Alfa is Czech...... factory is in Brno. They supply the pistol sans cylinder to mr Westlake. Westlake also made the Britarms.

Chris Costa, I wanted that particular model..... the magnum PI over run I guess it is  because it has no slide markings, so no Costa Ludus billboard on the left hand side ( bottom pic). I can understand STI pairing with the likes of Costa and Taran (John Wick 3 pistol) to gain a foothold in a new to them market - good marketing maybe.

959A764D-365E-42AF-A82E-54137B9186A9.thumb.jpeg.1e3669c36aa911c4a5a6ac37ca96133e.jpegEDA9009B-593D-4C9D-9ADD-C3E6686B3124.thumb.jpeg.aeff8be88aede770bdb3d8b7adff33c1.jpeg

42 minutes ago, terryh said:

Allan,

bit off OP but like the look of the .32 Patriot , some more info please at some point - harmonica fed 32 ML 🤔??

Not wanting to hijack the thread - But yes, quite a rare beast - A .32 5 (or 6) shot muzzle loader. It was made to conform to UIT/ISSF rules to allow UK shooters to compete in the international centrefire match, and compete on more or less equal terms with everyone else in the sane world using .32 semi-autos. Unfortunately the sport was gutted and the  .32 Patriot, made by Zylab Ltd. also in the Czech Rep to a British design was not financially viable. Not sure how many were made by I have a low 2 digit serial number.

2 hours ago, terryh said:

Dave,

nice pistil, keep posting things like that and I will have to come over and shoot. Looks good quality and thought out.

Just wish they’d not put ‘Costa’ in the name - after that Japanese airsoft thing I cannot see ‘ Costa’ without flashback to the video 🤔😂

Just get out there  

I met Dave a few years ago at the BSS phoned my mate and said shall we shant we ..........

The rest is history weve been 5 or six times  together and i think 2 or three times solo  .

Be warned its addictive  but bloody good fun  ......