Note from the NRA today - as we all expected, Bisley is closed:

Coronavirus Update 5th January 2021
Shooting Ranges Closed

Last night the Government ordered shooting ranges to close as part of the new lockdown regulations. Whilst disappointing it was not a surprise, with the daily reports of worryingly high numbers of COVID infections and hard-pressed hospital wards.

The closure of our Bisley range complex to civilian shooting includes all rifle ranges, the National Clay Shooting Centre, Bisley Shooting Ground, and armouries. Our training programmes, accommodation and catering will all be suspended during the lockdown.

The NRA will continue to support the Police and MOD during these difficult times.

Our staff will continue to work hard, Monday to Friday, to ensure that services to members and affiliated clubs are maintained; and that the ranges are primed and ready when restrictions are eased. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any queries.

We have pencilled mid-March as our best guess for the first shoots of 2021; and hope a successful vaccination campaign will ease pressure on those who work for our terrific NHS and other essential services.

We will publish further updates as circumstances change on the NRA website https://nra.org.uk/news-2/ and social media channels.

As we collectively hunker down for what will be a challenging few weeks, our thoughts and best wishes are with the target shooting community. Take good care of yourself, your family and friends; we look forward to happy days back on the ranges soon as the days lengthen and weather warms.

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if we'll get a discount on our NRA membership subs next time round. After all, last year we lost about 60% of range access - who knows about this year eh?

I don't want to knock the NRA, but it's daft having to pay for something you don't (can't) use. A bit like paying the TV tax - but not watching BBC.

10 hours ago, ezmobile said:

I wonder if we'll get a discount on our NRA membership subs next time round. After all, last year we lost about 60% of range access - who knows about this year eh?

I don't want to knock the NRA, but it's daft having to pay for something you don't (can't) use. A bit like paying the TV tax - but not watching BBC.

That would be a sure fire way of affecting the NRA's financial status, IMHO.

Seeings as membership is only the cost of 100 rounds of factory .303 ammo, I don't think a 50% rebate would be of much financial significance too many shooters, if any, and would be better spent keeping the NRA going. 

Shooting is an expensive sport and the relative costs of licensing and membership are small in comparison. If someone needed an extra £40 back then shooting is probably the wrong sport for them.

I agree re TV Licensing, but it isn't the same. NRA membership is optional

15 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Seeings as membership is only the cost of 100 rounds of factory .303 ammo, I don't think a 50% rebate would be of much financial significance too many shooters, if any, and would be better spent keeping the NRA going. 

Shooting is an expensive sport and the relative costs of licensing and membership are small in comparison. If someone needed an extra £40 back then shooting is probably the wrong sport for them.

👍

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

Nail head hit.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

👍  spot on

What is often missed is that Bisley is a charity, and is run that way, it is not a profit making operation. We may disagree with the way it is run and the management structure. I personally think it could be run much more effectively. But its not long ago it had massive debts and was in a dire situation, and whatever you think of Andrew Mercer he has pulled it round. I love Bisley and would never leave if I didn't need too, I try to be there every weekend and cannot imagine life without shooting there. I accept it costs money to run and that needs to come from somewhere and thats us, the shooters so next time you moan about having to pay for your shooting just think about the costs of running a place like Bisley and be very thankful we have a place like Bisley.

2 minutes ago, dorg said:

What is often missed is that Bisley is a charity, and is run that way, it is not a profit making operation. We may disagree with the way it is run and the management structure. I personally think it could be run much more effectively. But its not long ago it had massive debts and was in a dire situation, and whatever you think of Andrew Mercer he has pulled it round. I love Bisley and would never leave if I didn't need too, I try to be there every weekend and cannot imagine life without shooting there. I accept it costs money to run and that needs to come from somewhere and thats us, the shooters so next time you moan about having to pay for your shooting just think about the costs of running a place like Bisley and be very thankful we have a place like Bisley.

Wrong

The NRA  is a Charity, the National Shooting Centre is a business and needs to make a profit to survive.

Business or not it wasn't long ago it was deep in debt and we as shooters would  miss Bisley, I am sure my annual subs are to the NRA. I am certain people get where I am coming from. Not interested in splitting hairs.

Your annual Subs go to the NRA, the NSC is constituted a business and whilst technically separate the Range Fees you pay goes to the NSC not the NRA. The current financial position of the NRA/NSC is not good but it would have been far worse if the current CEO had not turned it around, shame he’s not shooter focussed.

Absolutely agree about Andrew Mercer not being shooter orientated but apparently the next bloke is. I think we have to accept facilities like Bisley have to be paid for, by the people who use it,and thats us  the shooters.

1 minute ago, dorg said:

Absolutely agree about Andrew Mercer not being shooter orientated but apparently the next bloke is. I think we have to accept facilities like Bisley have to be paid for, by the people who use it,and thats us  the shooters.

Is Mercer leaving?

Nothing is ever for free, value for money is the key.

I'm not sure if its NRA related probaly not but I know a couple of f open shooters in the U.S. i got to know through Accurate Shooter and they shot in a big comp in Pheonix last Friday Saturday and Sunday and most of the U.S. f open team participated..

They seem to be carrying on over there as usual 🤔

2 hours ago, No i deer said:

They seem to be carrying on over there as usual 🤔

I trust you don't think we should be "carrying on as usual" ?

Dorg said: "and as value for money they could start with target maintenance...."

I'll drink to that, particularly where the Intarso target frames are concerned............

Pete

Can't see why any outdoor range had to close, firing points are designed for social distancing or can easily accommodate it,  as long as people follow the rules during the safety brief and while not at the firing point it should have been allowed to continue

1 hour ago, Akeld said:

Can't see why any outdoor range had to close, firing points are designed for social distancing or can easily accommodate it,  as long as people follow the rules during the safety brief and while not at the firing point it should have been allowed to continue

We have been in and out of lockdown since March last year , we have all been in tier 1/2/3/4 , we have all been social distancing , new rules introduced from post code to county’s , we have opened , closed venues over and over again , Christ you name it we have had to do it . 

it seems pretty obvious to me that you just can’t can go about your normal day as long as you do a little bit of social distancing here and there It doesn’t really seem to be doing the trick  as over 111,264 family’s so far could possibly testify to the personal loss they have encountered and another  1,937,664 active cases in the U.K. and we still have yet to get to grips with these new strains popping up . 

we seem to be doing the same thing over and over again and yet we just end up back where we started but a bit worse off . 
hopefully these vaccines will help us all get a lid on this in the near future. 

in the grand scale of things it’s just a hobby, not the end of the world . 

A lot of people are "carrying on as usual", which is maybe why the infection rate is so slow to recede...........

Pete

1 hour ago, One on top of two said:

We have been in and out of lockdown since March last year , we have all been in tier 1/2/3/4 , we have all been social distancing , new rules introduced from post code to county’s , we have opened , closed venues over and over again , Christ you name it we have had to do it . 

it seems pretty obvious to me that you just can’t can go about your normal day as long as you do a little bit of social distancing here and there It doesn’t really seem to be doing the trick  as over 111,264 family’s so far could possibly testify to the personal loss they have encountered and another  1,937,664 active cases in the U.K. and we still have yet to get to grips with these new strains popping up . 

we seem to be doing the same thing over and over again and yet we just end up back where we started but a bit worse off . 
hopefully these vaccines will help us all get a lid on this in the near future. 

in the grand scale of things it’s just a hobby, not the end of the world . 

well said

On 2/5/2021 at 10:11 PM, Popsbengo said:

I trust you don't think we should be "carrying on as usual" ?

You mean like football, Rugby, standing in line to get on planes?

4 minutes ago, ezmobile said:

You mean like football, Rugby, standing in line to get on planes?

what about-ism isn't a good argument in any subject.  Shooting is a hobby (for 99%), there's no good reason to act in any way that increases risk through possible transmission around the country.  My original comment was regarding some reported US attitudes to covid control - not a good example IMHO

On 2/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Roy W said:

I don't recall asking for a rebate, and thankfully I'm not in the position to need one, but i do know a number of shooters who are retired and living on meager pensions, shooting is one of the few things they have (had) and don't all run 'F class rigs'. As for TV licencing, thats also optional - if you choose to not watch live stream broadcasting, and these days who would? (sorry, just heard the tv tax is going up again!)

4 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

what about-ism isn't a good argument in any subject.  Shooting is a hobby (for 99%), there's no good reason to act in any way that increases risk through possible transmission around the country.  My original comment was regarding some reported US attitudes to covid control - not a good example IMHO

I'm just saying, thats all. But then so are the activities I mentioned, included peoples addiction to travel, like my niece who just 'had' to go to Austria a couple of weeks ago for the 'Skiing season' no less!