My first 308, help on choosing a scope please.

I'll bet you will quickly want to shoot much further than 200m !

Perhaps something in the 5 - 25 x 50ish range will give you all you may need.  Mil or MOA, take your choice, neither is superior for target shooting.  Just make sure the reticle and turrets are in the same system.

Personally I'd go for target turrets - ie, no covers with clear markings and a good 'click' feel. 

First focal plane is not necessary for target shooting on standard marked targets and usually more money so put that towards a better build quality than choosing ffp.

Most mid-range scopes will give you enough elevation, if you do fancy out to 800m etc a canted rail or mount will help.  Good quality mounts are important so budget for them too.

Vortex, Delta, Sightron, Burris - all good.

Don't overlook the option to buy a top quality scope second hand - Vortex lifetime warranty is transferable.

46 minutes ago, Ossey33 said:

I'm thinking of £300 to £400 kind of range. Is that sufficient for a reasonable scope that will stay accurate for the 308 recoil?

Thanks  

Does that include rings?  A good-enough set will be +£50.  Doesn't leave much for a scope but a Vortex Crossfire 2 6-24x50 can be had for under £300 (Uttings)

2 hours ago, Ossey33 said:

I'm thinking of £300 to £400 kind of range. Is that sufficient for a reasonable scope that will stay accurate for the 308 recoil?

Thanks  

Ossey, I’m about to sell my Vortex Diamondback Tactical with steel Warne rings for a figure within your price range. Drop me a message if that interests you.

A good scope for what you need starting out in the centre fire world. Lots of reviews on line.

.223 would be a good choice and you can still shoot further should the desire take you.  Cheap and plentiful ammo.

If you want a .308 for the fun of it, doesn't be put off, they're not much more to feed and there's oodles of ammo available.

Not sure where you live but heres my story

I started with a .223 as good as anything out to 300y,  more challenging at 600y but possible,  However I live close to Bisley and Stix was waiting,  One 6.5 Creedmoor later i'm shooting 900, 1000, and 1200yards.  The issue now is I found this board read about Eskdalemuir and now I feel a mile and a 300 Norma Mag / 338 lapau etc.. calling me!  Once you start its hard to stop. Ive also shot a 22LR out to 200 yards,  good fun and good training on reading the wind. 

However back to your orgonal questionAll my scopes are FFP Milrad, just my preference but for what i shoot they just work better for me.  A Falcon on the LR and Vortex Viper's on the centre fires. No complaints with any of them. 

+1 for a hawke sidewinder. Got a couple of 6-24x56 . All ok on full bore rifles , very clear and have a good range of reticles , I use the sr pro Xmas tree type and calibrate the points with chair gun or StrelokPro . Focus is also very crisp for the money . Hawke also do first focal scopes and you could upgrade your scopes and put the hawke on air rifles or rimfire in the future . Enjoy .

Cheers Rich 

If you’re sure you’re going to stick to 200 yds, then .223/.222 is perfect, but if you might get a taste for longer range in the future, it may be a good idea to look at a larger calibre, a 6mm or 6.5mm, still not .308.  
As for a scope, if you can stretch to £500, you might pick up a Sightron S3.  Always worth spending as much as you can afford on the scope.  
good luck

Good info from woodlander regarding calibre . My 308 is easy to reload and shoot gongs to 700 m and a bit further but 1000 m is very tricky with a high trajectory so a small misread on distance make a miss more likely , 6.5 s are much flatter shooting and will reach further easier than 308 . That said with StrelokPro properly calibrated, first shot on one litre milk jugs at 700 m are normal . Sorry we are off the main post but still happy with my gear but would have made a different decision if I’d had more info at the time regarding flat easer to shoot bullets . Moved from hawke to a Pm2 as funds allowed its great to use but not as much difference at ranges upto 300 its after that where clarity really does show up . Buy the best you can afford . Cheers 

• 3 weeks later...