Amateur Radio Licensing

PhilM

So rather than resurrect the HAM radio thread from  a few years back, I thought I’d post this little update.

Due to CV19 there has really never been a better time to get a license. The old requirements to attend a club and do practical assessment aswell as an exam have all been waived.

Now it’s just an online multiple choice exam, so buy the book, do the practice exams (there are apps out there) and you’ll have a Foundation license in no time at all. This allows 10W which with Cw, HF and/of digital modes will allow worldwide comms.  Much better than the cheap licence free walkie talkies people end up with in their go bags. 

Of course there’s still a place for HTs for local comms but you could upgrade them to 2m/70cm for VUHF operation at upto 10W making them hugely more versatile.

Also with cheap Chinese radios, a mobile HF rig won’t cost the earth these days and can be quite compact, couple that with a long wire antenna and it’s portable worldwide comms in your pack.

Just though I’d mention it, Intermediate (upto 50W) is also available only with the practical assessment waived for now. The full license exam is apparently on the way too (for upto 400W). 

Its a decent time if you were ever considering it, and given the numbers of people studying across various Facebook groups, it seems the old requirement to join a club and do the assessments was always what stopped many people bothering! 

If you wonder what gets discussed on amateur radio check out one of the radio internet services such as Hack Green:   http://hackgreensdr.org:8901

• 1 month later...

I was 11 when I first discovered amateur radio.  I found it pretty intimidating too at the start and I didn't have the internet to be able to instantly look up stuff I didn't understand.  I can remember well going for months sometimes not having a clue about some term or other I'd hear on the air before I'd finally work it out.   I think a large part of my interest was in the challenge of learning - I'm pretty much still the same now.....still learning!

Ham radio is a great fun and very interesting also very geeky too. If you like that sort of thing and don’t mind adhering to rules and protocol then go for it ( I’m and old G0 ) but one really should not compare it to CB. 
CB is the Wild West and anything goes. 
ham radio is NOTHING like that there are licensing conditions  to be met on the operation / usage / protocol. Of the radios and of course while using bands / frequencies. Also power limits associated with your call sign / qualification  , in fact your actually permitted to use more power legally on CB than you are with an foundation license .. CB radio 12 watts on SSB  And with Foundation license 10 watts  SSB . 
I always advise to find a local club or a local ham that could maybe give you an introduction into what’s expected. 
But whole reason for licensed ham operation is for research and testing in the eyes of Ofcom. 
but don’t let it put you off. Your either love it or hate it. 
as for cost...... well yes you can get up and running on a budget. But so you can with shooting. And we all know how that turns out. 😂 

Its a shame your not closer to me you would be more than welcome to pop over , I would do my best to give a bit of an insight, 

On 10/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, One on top of two said:

Ham radio is a great fun and very interesting also very geeky too. If you like that sort of thing and don’t mind adhering to rules and protocol then go for it ( I’m and old G0 ) but one really should not compare it to CB. 
CB is the Wild West and anything goes. 
ham radio is NOTHING like that there are licensing conditions  to be met on the operation / usage / protocol. Of the radios and of course while using bands / frequencies. Also power limits associated with your call sign / qualification  , in fact your actually permitted to use more power legally on CB than you are with an foundation license .. CB radio 12 watts on SSB  And with Foundation license 10 watts  SSB . 
I always advise to find a local club or a local ham that could maybe give you an introduction into what’s expected. 
But whole reason for licensed ham operation is for research and testing in the eyes of Ofcom. 
but don’t let it put you off. Your either love it or hate it. 
as for cost...... well yes you can get up and running on a budget. But so you can with shooting. And we all know how that turns out. 😂 

Its a shame your not closer to me you would be more than welcome to pop over , I would do my best to give a bit of an insight, 

Don’t worry to much about the tests and protocol, sadly if the radio / ofcom licensing keeps going the way it is, you will be able to pop to the local ALDI and just pick your amateur radio license up off the shelf.

ofcom have no interest in it, no fee to be paid by the license holders why would they care, the UK has so many call signs and license levels for the UK we are becoming a laughing stock of the amateur radio world, 

And with planing restrictions that prevent you from having even a small mast in your garden or an antenna on the chimney without someone saying thats ok with us, to people not understanding what you do or even recognising what Amateurs radio research and development  has brought to this world we live in.

its a shame, i am about to have a visit from the council reference my antenna system that has been up for 9 years with no issues, but now there have been homes build behind my house where once there was non: its a problem to someone who has now placed in a complaint.

bob.

i still love the hobby and will keep going as long as i can, its fantastic fun, from chatting to a mate some 10/20 miles away to speaking to a contact all the way to Australia and even the international space station when you have permission,

G0WYD

3 hours ago, rsc1960 said:

Don’t worry to much about the tests and protocol, sadly if the radio / ofcom licensing keeps going the way it is, you will be able to pop to the local ALDI and just pick your amateur radio license up off the shelf.

ofcom have no interest in it, no fee to be paid by the license holders why would they care, the UK has so many call signs and license levels for the UK we are becoming a laughing stock of the amateur radio world, 

And with planing restrictions that prevent you from having even a small mast in your garden or an antenna on the chimney without someone saying thats ok with us, to people not understanding what you do or even recognising what Amateurs radio research and development  has brought to this world we live in.

its a shame, i am about to have a visit from the council reference my antenna system that has been up for 9 years with no issues, but now there have been homes build behind my house where once there was non: its a problem to someone who has now placed in a complaint.

bob.

i still love the hobby and will keep going as long as i can, its fantastic fun, from chatting to a mate some 10/20 miles away to speaking to a contact all the way to Australia and even the international space station when you have permission,

G0WYD

Have a look at the “ 4 year rule “ 

10 minutes ago, rsc1960 said:

If that’s with regards to planning permission, its a miyth ?

bob.

No, it's not.  It may not apply to a mast erected without Planning however one could still apply for a 'Certificate of Lawfulness'. One would have to prove the erection has been present for at least four years without significant changes in that time.

It's better to seek Planning,  for a private person (in England & Wales)  one can have a free consultation to sound out the likely situation.

I think you really need to have a read up bob. 

Strictly speaking most antenna systems require planning permission unless the installation falls under one or more of the following categories.

The antenna is considered ‘permitted development’ (usually types similar to TV antennas and ground mount antennas up to three metres in height, etc. but some local councils allow more)

The antenna/mast has been present for four years or more and you can prove it. A confirmation letter from your neighbours is usually enough (single residential development only)

The antenna/mast is present for less than 28 days per annum

The antenna/mast is truly mobile

do some homework. 

Yes to both:

i have been here before, i have letters from both the old neighbours and the latest ones who have been here for 5 years, but it seems the council have no record of their last visit, when I complained about how close the new build street lights and trees they panted are to my house, i was told then that they will have to stay where they are as thats the positions they are on the planning documents from taylor wimpy ??

anyhow, its all over nothing as the tower comes down to just 12 feet and as said its been there for 9 years and has had bigger antennas on it than there is now.:)

ill keep you posted, and ill still keep doing the hobby i love.

73 good dx and catch you further down the logbook

bob.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys about what people have to do thse days to get a licence.  That I did a full wrtten exam and, later, a Morse test encoiraged me to study and learn.  Constantly bashing those who come into the hobby via a different route seems to be all that keeps some older hams motivated these days.

I've had issues with planners over the years and also had a few long peroids when, thanks to work mostly, I wasn't able to be very active but I find myself still as enthusiastic about the hobby as I was 45-odd years ago, when I first discrovered it.  There's always something new to try, be it some new opering mode or new technology. 

If it hooks you, you, it's a great hobby that can be enjoyed well into old age, with a few additional aids - such as the four electric winches I have here to install on my two mobile towers.  I'm getting too old to keep cranking them up and down by hand now!!

On 10/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, Plecotus said:

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys about what people have to do thse days to get a licence.  That I did a full wrtten exam and, later, a Morse test encoiraged me to study and learn.  Constantly bashing those who come into the hobby via a different route seems to be all that keeps some older hams motivated these days.

I've had issues with planners over the years and also had a few long peroids when, thanks to work mostly, I wasn't able to be very active but I find myself still as enthusiastic about the hobby as I was 45-odd years ago, when I first discrovered it.  There's always something new to try, be it some new opering mode or new technology. 

If it hooks you, you, it's a great hobby that can be enjoyed well into old age, with a few additional aids - such as the four electric winches I have here to install on my two mobile towers.  I'm getting too old to keep cranking them up and down by hand now!!

I have to agree,

i have no problems with the people getting into the hobby, but i do have a problem with OFCOM, they could not run a bath never mind anything else, i too had to do the REA and the Morse test, but it does not mean i am better than anyone else on the bands, 

what i am unhappy about is the way its being run, i was on 20 mtrs the other and was listening to 3 radio users talking about one thing and another, then a M3 called in, he was at first ignored but he got in in the end, 

when he had his radio report and QSO with 2 of the ops he left the freq, and then they all moaned about the amount of call signs coming form The whole of the uk? Not just england.saying its getting beyond a joke with the call signs being issued in the UK as a whole,

I wish a new controller would come along, reinstate a license fee and get it back under control and with some kind of similarity to weather it was, IMO: the internet and phones are NOT the cause of the death of radio MORE SO OFCOM  and their lack of commitment to the hobby,

bob.

• 3 months later...

well......dec 15th i only went and done it .....passed my foundation !!!!!

got 2m /70cm rig in motor and at home now with a dual purpose shack....reloading and radio now!

got a hf rig too but more intimidating all the buttons! 

anyway ill keep learning

MM7PPW

7 hours ago, sauer said:

got 2m /70cm rig in motor and at home now with a dual purpose shack....reloading and radio now!

anyway ill keep learning

MM7PPW

Congratulations mate. Welcome to the hobby 👍

I keep thinking about resurrecting my license. I passed my city and guilds in June 1986 at the age of 13 and had to wait until September for my birthday to have my license issued. At the time I was one of the youngest in the country to pass it and I took my Dads old call sign G1GBW as he'd done the morse and been issued G0BXU. He still operates I haven't touched radio since 89 when I discovered other hobbies.

Alan

12 hours ago, sauer said:

anyway ill keep learning

MM7PPW

Well done, enjoy the hobby, been a ham since 1990. Dont be put off by HF, most rigs just have plenty of bells and whistles on them, just remember to read the band plans and you will be fine. The hobby is so vast you will never get bored with it, not been on two meters for years. Just use 160, 80 and 40mtrs SSB and CW. 

15 hours ago, sauer said:

anyway ill keep learning

MM7PPW

Well done.  I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. 

This inspired me to dig out some gear , power supply and icom 7000 and tuner LDG100 . Got it working on 2 metres and 40 metres using diamond aerials on a mag mount on the garage door . Looking to put it in the hilux. Wound the power levels down to 80% to reduce the amps so cigar lighter can be used . 73s G6ICZ 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one lads,

well done on the pass as well, welcome to a great hobby.

gb2hcc at highclere castle, and my mobile set up a few years back.

B00CD83B-5F9A-47EC-83CA-C7EA0120F027.jpeg

C7E14277-38E9-4B6F-8555-A4599849EFD2.jpeg

Nice to see that some others share both hobbies. Enjoyed QRP, CW and achieved DXCC in ZS back then. The greatest thrill was a DX-expedition with a mate and we were the only two with the highly prized prefix. Had to fill out a few thousand QSL cards after a few days of CQ DX-ing .

Also contemplating a revival as an OM but an HF Yagi probably won’t be appreciated by the neighbors.

73’s, DJ0BM