308 hunting loads

6.5 shooter

Hi all, 

wondering if you have any good loads for 308 win with hunting type bullets that you are willing to share? 
I would like to try various different bullet weights for different purposes. 
The rifle is a sako 75 varmint with original 600mm barrel.

thankyou

Hi there

only bullets I know of the ones I’ve tried that are good for hunting are the hornady Amax 155 grain , which work well with 42.5 to 43 grains of N135 at 2.8” case overall length . Cheers 

Start with a Sierra 150 grain soft point (game king or pro hunter). Powder wise each manufacturer will have a powder and load data to suit. Something in the vit  140 or 150 burn rate range. Choose a powder you can get locally and reliably.

I use 165 grain Game King and 150 grain Pro Hunters from my Tikka T3. I seat to recommened OAL. IMR 4064 is my powder of choice but about anything will do, really. It's hard to make a 308 shoot badly.~Andrew

(She just reminded me: My girlfriend is using D076.3 Lovex with 168 grain bullets. Great accuracy and good chrono numbers...)

The very best I have come across after using many soft points and conventional bullets for deer over a 20 + year period is the Barnes 130g TTSX at 3000fps. My load is 46g H4895 but I have also used N135 and N140 (can’t remember the charge weights). Very few roe take a single step and the reds I have shot have never gone far at all either. Very little meat damage either. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Sako 75 laminated varmint stainless rifle, a great rifle.

I'm getting sub MOA using....

155gr AMax, 46gr Viht N140, Federal and Lapua brass (but Lapua seems the best), 20 thou off the lands. CCI large rifle primers.