Real World 223 Experience

SMLE

Hi Folks,

Been shooting 77g TMK’s through my 1:8 twist 223 rifle for a few months now with generally good results. Consistently about 0.75 moa out to 500 yards. I get the odd flyer and the even rarer tighter group with the greatest variable being me of course! Velocity around 2650 FPS.

I’ve been toying with going for the 69g TMK’s as an alternative as I ever really only shoot this rifle at 500 yards maximum range and wondered if they might stabilise a little more readily or sufficiently to tighten the group up a bit.

What experience do others have with these bullets? Worth playing with?

I know they’re not big money but if folks have a poor experience with them, I’d rather try something else or stick with what I’ve got. Alternatively, any other good options based on real world experience and which reflects my set up and range that’s worth trying? Oh, it’s a 24” barrel by the way.

I've been playing around with Ramshot Tac with the 65gr Game King Spitzer Boat Tail with some good results. Some say it's a bit temperature sensitive though. I do wonder how well that will do at distance as the BC is claimed to be .303 at above 2700 so potentially could be interesting as a do all load.

Scrummy

Cheers folks. Quick update after a bit more load development. Achieved a 0.3moa 100 yard group with the 77g TMK’s now using the max load of RS52 and 8 thou off.

Seems to be consistent so far but didn’t take my chrono so not sure of speed but probably around 2700. Just need to try out a bit further now. Got a slot on stickledown next week for my 6.5 CM - might take the 223 along and go for the 1000 yards.

1 minute ago, SMLE said:

Cheers folks. Quick update after a bit more load development. Achieved a 0.3moa 100 yard group with the 77g TMK’s now using the max load of RS52 and 8 thou off.

Seems to be consistent so far but didn’t take my chrono so not sure of speed but probably around 2700. Just need to try out a bit further now. Got a slot on stickledown next week for my 6.5 CM - might take the 223 along and go for the 1000 yards.

RS52 works great under 77gr TMK's

How do you measure 8 thou off the lands? Is that an average of multiple measurements using a different bullet each time, or the same bullet?

Pete

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

How do you measure 8 thou off the lands? Is that an average of multiple measurements using a different bullet each time, or the same bullet?

Pete

Ok, so seating depth established using one of those Hornady things and digital callipers.

3 data sets of 10 measurements with a fresh bullet in each set of 10 established a mean value. Spread of 3 thou in values across the data sets.

Load development started at 30 thou off based on that mean value giving a mean of 0.75 moa at 100 yards over 3 sets of 5 shot groups. Same mean group size at 20 thou off, mean of 0.55 moa at 10 thou off. Happy with that but a friend mentioned he saw a difference by setting his to 8 thou off in his Tikka, so thought I’d give it a go.

Different day and only 2 sets of 5 shots this time set to 8 thou off based on original data gave me a mean group size of 0.3moa.

I observed seating depth varying from 7 thou off to 10 thou off based on the original data sets mean seating depth when loading the last 10 rounds used for the final two 5 shot groups at the nominal 8 thou setting. This reflected the 3 thou variance I saw originally when establishing the starting point.

Think I’ve been pretty thorough and recognise it’s a point in time. It worked. Will it continue to work? On going observation will tell.

When you insert the gauge with the bullet into the chamber, how do you ensure that you're applying the same pressure each time to sit the bullet on the land?

Pete

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

When you insert the gauge with the bullet into the chamber, how do you ensure that you're applying the same pressure each time to sit the bullet on the land?

Pete

With care..... probably the same way in which you’re trying to say what I’ve done is worthless.

SMLE  - back in the day, we called it "fitter's feel"  - stood Henry Royce a career.

I use the Hornady gauge and the drop bolt method  - both ok but the Hornady gauge is easier to feel.  I use a dowel down the bore to just ease the bullet back off.

2 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

SMLE  - back in the day, we called it "fitter's feel"  - stood Henry Royce a career.

I use the Hornady gauge and the drop bolt method  - both ok but the Hornady gauge is easier to feel.  I use a dowel down the bore to just ease the bullet back off.

Exactly Pops. Same as I do. Repeatability being the thing......

Why do you say that? I've had a load of grief trying to get a repeatable method, and I was just trying to find out exactly how others do it..........

Pete

32 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Why do you say that? I've had a load of grief trying to get a repeatable method, and I was just trying to find out exactly how others do it..........Pete

I find the trick is to ensure:

a spotlessly clean and dry chamber and throat,

make sure the modified case is dry and spotless, screwed up tight to the gauge body

press the gauge and case firmly into the chamber and keep the pressure on

gently slide the bullet upto the lands until it just stops (helps to have three hands 😁)

push a dowel rod down the bore and ease the bullet back and to and find the 'touch' (by feel)

lock it off, withdraw and measure.

replace the bullet and do it again a few times - record the measurement and take the mean.

I use Sinclair stainless steel inserts in the caliper gauge as the Hornady anodised alloy ones give me variation

I can get to +/- 1' on my 308 with Lapua Scenar 155 and Sierra MK 155

I've tried the drop bolt method (stripped so no resistance from the sear) and it's not as repeatable on 308 or 338 for me. (but it is an excellent way to check headspace)

5 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Why do you say that? I've had a load of grief trying to get a repeatable method, and I was just trying to find out exactly how others do it..........

Pete

Pete, looks like I mis-read you, apologies. I can be a grumpy bar steward some times.....

For what it’s worth, Popsbengo has described my approach pretty much. I use the same bullet for 10 measurements, usually for at least two sets of 10, fresh bullet for each 10. I use the Hornady comparator insert. I usually get about a tolerance of 3 thou +/- though. Based on Pops technique, that might be the comparator insert effect.

Still friends.....?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 69tmk will go faster and should be great over CFE223. All depends on your needs and what you like.

never have I had any sierra bullet be a poor performer.