Stainless tumbling

Orka Akinse

Just cleaning cases ready for the ranges at the end of the week and my ultrasonic cleaner has just packed up :o

This has given me the opportunity to look again at Stainless tumbling but..... I really don't do enough to justify a beast that Spud sells (As an example) therefore I'm looking for your thoughts and advice (1st hand please) of cheaper kits on the market that will do the job.  I'd be delighted if I could do a hundred cases at a time e.g. 30 Cal / .260 / 6.5x55 but can live with it doing 50 at a time.

Whats out there and what do you recommend fella's?

The product you have is for sale in the states for $124, here in the UK it's on sale for £290 and none in stock. 

For those interested in starting a UK Vs USA pricing debate I have stated this purely for illustrative purposes so lets not get embroiled in the USA Vs UK pricing issues that have been done to death previously.

For what I want it for, ie use once a year for a couple of hours having £300+ sat on the shelf collecting dust is too much.  Having said that, £150 ish is reasonable to my thinking and something I can live with. 

Yeah I've also seen rock polishers, exactly the same product but marketed at a boring hobbyists rather our exciting shooty bang bang types, go for half the price.

Good article about it on Accurate shooter

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/06/shiney-savings-wet-tumbling-cartridge-brass-on-a-tight-budget/

I use one of these tumblers https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KG-ROTARY-TUMBLER-JEWELRY-POLISHER-FINISHER-POLISHING-5-SPEED-TUMBLING-PRO/201779917092?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and these stainless steel pins http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Polishing-0-3-mm-Pins-Magnetic-Tumbler-Polishers-shot-polishers/191619135384?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 tubs (0.5Kg) of pins is enough for the size of tumbler

It will cope with around thirty 30 cal cases at a time and makes a great job of outside surface, inside surface and primer pocket

About 700ml water, a couple of drops of washing up liquid, about 10ml of citric acid crystals and around 3 hours tumbling will do the job

Cheers

Bruce

Ideally I needed  it tomorrow to meet my deadline of Friday  :(.  A big ask I know.  Snr mngt got wind of it and has suggested I have it for my Xmas pressy and so the Lyman came back into the mix.

Having phoned round for the Lyman, assuming someone would have one in stock somewhere,  it seems everyone is out of stock in the UK unless someone knows where there is one?

I have one of these

https://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/TUMBLER--CR1--Excluding-barrels--10_030.html

I use a rubber tumbling drum and stainless media from the same vendor.

Quite an efficient machine but no more than 30 cases each time.

They sell a borax based cleaning powder that works a treat too...

52 minutes ago, Ronin said:

They sell a borax based cleaning powder that works a treat too...

That's great, I haven't had dermatitis on my hands since we stopped using that as 17 year old apprentices

2 hours ago, bradders said:

That's great, I haven't had dermatitis on my hands since we stopped using that as 17 year old apprentices

I do wear some very fetching gloves when handling the chemicals......

20 hours ago, Orka Akinse said:

I've bit the bullet [pun intended] and/or succumbed to Spud's charms and bought me a rotary steel tumbler that's arriving tomorrow, thanks Spud.

No offence, you're completely entitled to spend your money on whatever you like, and I don't mean to start an argument, but it's a bit odd that you originally stated needing help finding cheap tumbling alternatives to the expensive models. £150 being in line with your wallet - only to now shell out more than double that? 

tbh, I'm not sure you'll notice any difference in how polished your brass is compared to a unit 1/3 the price you've paid. But I too sometime do a heart over a head purchase.

But good luck to you, hope it works out for you. 

You're right, I don't need to explain myself but in the spirit of a harmonious existence between fellow forumites, I'd tried my hardest to buy a Lyman, Spud was by far the cheapest at £225 but he, like everyone else, was/is out of stock and the likelyhood of getting one this side of Christmas was slim at best. 

I need to reload and my case cleaning kit was bust.  I took the opportunity to look again at S/Steel.  I've had a bad experience of dealing with China in the past on Ebay such that; I refuse point blank to deal with them or their products (via Ebay) so this route was out.

I'd looked at the jewellery/rock polishers and yes they're cheaper but the ones I thought suitable, by the time you'd added on the media etc it worked out they were more than half the cost Spud quoted me and Spud had one designed for the job at a price that was above the Lyman but was in stock and I now have it on the kitchen table. 

Is it more than I wanted to pay?  Yes! but I find most things are.   Spud bent over backwards to help, for which I am extremely thankful for he's a top bloke.

Archived