Digital calipers

TJC

TJC,

Mitotoyo always used to be 'good' as far as Digital 'verniers' are concerned.

But there are folks on here who's job uses 'verniers' everyday that probably have a more up to date view on this?

Brgds Terry

Caveat - as good as any vernier can be vs a micrometer that is.

TJC,

Mitotoyo always used to be 'good' as far as Digital 'verniers' are concerned.

But there are folks on here who's job uses 'verniers' everyday that probably have a more up to date view on this?

Brgds Terry

Caveat - as good as any vernier can be vs a micrometer that is.

Mitutoyo verniers are as good now as they have ever been providing you buy genuine ones which start around £100 for a 0-150mm/6"

Avoid the cheap ones on eBay, they are copies.

Mitutoyo verniers are as good now as they have ever been providing you buy genuine ones which start around £100 for a 0-150mm/6"

Avoid the cheap ones on eBay, they are copies.

Good to know. Thanks

Mitutoyo for me too. A little expensive compared to the cheaper stuff on ebay but worth it and if you look after them will last a long time.

Mitutoyo for me too. A little expensive compared to the cheaper stuff on ebay but worth it and if you look after them will last a long time.

I bought a Mitutoyo 150mm/6" vernier back in 1984 as a 1st year apprentice, I still use it every day in the workshop now, looked after they are made to last a lifetime. Amazingly I replaced the battery for the very first time only this year, surely that must be some sort of record? ;)

Looking back I think there was also about a 10yr period when this caliber stayed in its case and was boxed up in the loft and the battery remained inside the unit the whole time. When it comes to tooling its rare that buying the best isn't the most cost effective if you expect to use it for a long time.

The batteries never run out on verniers either! ;)

David.

Well for what it's worth, a dial calliper doesn't have batteries either.....but Verniers are only all well and good as long as your eyes are holding out

The solar powered variety on the link look interesting.......................... but for the battery costs involved hardly seem a viable option.

A minor point, but neither digital nor dial callipers are Verniers

Mark,

Concur - hence my post putting 'verniers' in ' ' for fear of going down the 'bullet heads' route! :)

T

A minor point, but neither digital nor dial callipers are Verniers

Mark,

Concur - hence my post putting 'verniers' in ' ' for fear of going down the 'bullet heads' route! :)

There are accurately (no pun!) three possible items:

Vernier callipers

Dial callipers

Digital callipers

But as with a lot of things the name gets smashed up a little to become more general e.g. 'I'm doing the hovering' and not more accurately 'I'm doing the Dyson'ing' . So vernier is now used to generically describe a calibrated G clamp.

Brgds T

Archived