Digital calipers

TJC

Kind of think I would not be able to trust accuracy , are they even calibrated?

There's no such thing as calibration with these devices. They work by 'reading' the position of the sliding jaw from a (mass produced) metallic grid. Zero is an arbitrary point set by the user.

My opinion: They are 'accurate' enough for reloading purposes. Repeatability of the actual sliding mechanism is outstanding but it's all too easy to get sucked into fake reading just because the digits are there... on a device which isn't itself mechanically suitable for anything below 0.001"

There's a bit of a difference between the one's at a tenner and the "real thing" though:

I bought some of the cheap ones, haven't broken them yet and they're fine for general purpose (ie, DIY) use. However, for reloading ammo I'm using some Mitutoyo ones which I managed to get from a mate for free - for my mind they're pretty good value :)

I store both with the batteries out though...

There's no such thing as calibration with these devices. They work by 'reading' the position of the sliding jaw from a (mass produced) metallic grid. Zero is an arbitrary point set by the user.

My opinion: They are 'accurate' enough for reloading purposes. Repeatability of the actual sliding mechanism is outstanding but it's all too easy to get sucked into fake reading just because the digits are there... on a device which isn't itself mechanically suitable for anything below 0.001"

I've always viewed them as a comparator as opposed to an actual 'value' so concur with your point.

T

I am changing the batteries in mine twice a year as they start blinking, I use duracell too, most definately a world record Al, ive had mine about 15 years.

See Big Al's post-there are Mitotoyu copies...$33 compared to real ones that are up to $150.you tube "M knock off-$33"

The knock off 'mitotoyus' use 4x current-all the time,so don't last....not a battery issue,a cheap design issue....maybe helps explain.

Nicklock's *27 post includes a link to an informative review comparison on $10 calipers versus genuine Mitutoyu;the cheapos worked ok,short term rather well,despite pretty poor construction and terrible finish-still,you could afford some gloves at the price.

" Made to be disposable,and they are good at that" summary seemed a tad severe,but pleasure and confidence in use-in reloading?

gbal

Archived