New Tikka stainless finish is faulty.

Aussie Foxer

Shoot it first, if she shoots real well I would not send her back because of that. Might get one with a good finish that doesn't shoot as well.

Tried giving the barrel a rub with an oily cloth? will it all match up? Or is it the bead blasting that is different?

edi

I'm with the others - with a stainless rifle how it shoots is far more of importance to me than a slight difference in finish.

It's such a pain to swap a gun once it's on your ticket. Why not ask the dealer for a £50 reduction then just get it bead-blasted?

^ Listen to the wise man ^

^ Listen to the wise man ^

Given the OP's name I assume he's from Australia, maybe its just a case of taking back to the shop and swapping it for another? Id still shoot it before I took it back presumably Tikka have already fired it to test it.

It may depend where the OP is-last time I looked,no Premier Division team woud have had a hope in hell,playing Aussie Rules football!

TIkka firing/proof firing/customer firing are likely to have quite different implications for warranty,including cosmetic.

Inconvenience will also be variable- and relative accuracy of the bird in hand and bird in bush unknowable.

Its a conundrum,but it would help to know in what firearms context the OP is operating-perhaps he'll say-and what Beretta (suggests UK?) advise .

The OP does rather strongly hint at the probabilities-any replacement is unlikely to be a less accurate shooter-but that is not a given.

IF the rifle is fired and it's significantly better than 'average'-whatever that is-there is a case for retaining it,or negotiating a bead blasting price reduction....but there is a risk....fire/so so/invalidate warranty....then that is a retrospectively a mistake...

Complicated,maybe-welcome to reality (but it would help to know the actual OP position!)

"Beretta" suggests UK,and that is not the location of choice for choices in firearms,but when in Rome,do as Roman law do .....

gbal

The photo looks like the difference in colour etc., could easily be caused by reflection/shadow.

If the rifle is new as the OP indicates, surely he should have noticed it when he bought it?

Were it me I'd be speaking to my dealer/importer before posting on an overseas forum for dvice.

The photo looks like the difference in colour etc., could easily be caused by reflection/shadow.

If the rifle is new as the OP indicates, surely he should have noticed it when he bought it?

Were it me I'd be speaking to my dealer/importer before posting on an overseas forum for dvice.

+ 1

The area from the muzzle is quite smooth to halfway down the barrel, after that, its very course.

No amount of cleaning would get the finish uniform.

As you know, these rifles are not cheap, no matter what the finish, it should be consistent.

I also have a stainless 222 by Tikka and the finish is faultless.

I'm surprised that some guys think it's acceptable.

Yes I inspected it very quickly, I took a moment out from work. I assumed with a brand as prestigious as Tikka that everything would be ok

The light in the gun shop is very poor, it was only when I took it home and wiped it down in the sun that I noticed the colour and surface change, it is that bad that you can hear the cloth dragging over the surface

Even the gun shop owner has accepted that it's not good enough, that's good enough for me.

Accuracy over cosmetics for me, any day, so I'd be keen to see how it shoots. It's a shame you already had the conversation with the dealer, but even with that already having taken place I don't think that firing a gun immediately discharges the manufacturer's responsibilities.

You're in a reasonable try-before-you-buy situation. Fire it and if it's average or worse, give it a good clean & return it.

I'm no lawyer though...

I'm with the OP on this. If I spend a substantial amount of money on anything it has to be 100% in my opinion. I wouldn't want to get it blasted elsewhere as in my experience there are varying types of blasting none of which would match the finish on the original rifle.

On a related theme, I bought a Beretta A400 Excel this summer which is a £1400 gun and after owning it for a week, I noticed that the rib was out of alignment with the grooves on the top of the receiver. I emailed GMK a picture of the fault and they stated that the gun needed to be returned. I opted for a full refund from the retailer instead of a replacement as after doing some diligence I found that there are issues with Beretta's quality control.

You should of went to specsavers

He's Australian, I doubt he's familiar with British TV commercials.

BTW it was "Should've gone to Specsavers".

IMG_3769.jpg

In fairness to the OP, i bought a rifle a few months ago and i was in somewhat of a rush to get back on the motorway before the rush hour started.

It wasn't until that evening when i was about to mount the scope (and had my glasses on) that i noticed "308 Win" stamped on the top of the barrel. the problem was, i hadn't ordered the rifle in 308 Win but 260 Rem!

I checked the serial number which matched with that entered on my FAC but on my FAC the calibre stated was 260 Rem. Oops :huh:

In my rush i didn't check it and nor did the RFD. It was someone lower down the pecking order apparently.

Fortunately i had a spare slot for a 308 Win at the time otherwise i may had been in a heap of the brown stuff. It was all sorted the next day anyway so no great disaster.

I shall avoid naming said RFD to avoid embarrassment. I'll embarrass myself however by mentioning it here.

Lesson learnt, i'll never rush to be away in future when purchasing a firearm.

Between us my son and I have three Tikka T3 rifles in .223 Rem, .308 Win and .300 WSM, all are very well finished and assembled, no problems whatsoever. There again the original specifications are diminishing daily - the .223 and .308s have both been re-barrelled, all three have replacement bolt handles and shrouds, all are in chassis systems (2x KRG X-Rays, 1x GRS Bolthorn) and there have been other modifications.

I would happily buy Tikka again and probably will.

Archived