Beam scale Or Electronic ...................!!!

FGYT

So have been reloading slowly over the last few months with the help of a friend up the road

and now have most of the kit to Not hassle him and family of an evening

currently have an old set of Lee safety scales Im borrowing with a powder thrower

At my mates he has an RCBS Charge master so quick n easy (but has just moved the weighing to a set of lab scales due to inconsistency on the RCBS ..hes shooting F class so every Kernel matters).

Im mostly Deer shooting with target to 700 ish . (plus i load shotgun)

Im now looking for the final piece in my Reloading Kit

Spud Recommends the Redding No2 beam scales £82 ish +/- 0.1gn

Cheap enough and can be modded for more sensitivity

or do i go for something like

the Gem 250 Electronic £160 ish to 0.02gn (definitely wouldn't go for a electronic that only had 1 decimal place)

Accuracy may well be more than i need now but the price isnt to excessive

RCBS and type charges are out of my budget and the possible speed isnt needed as Im only loading 50-100 at a time and with a powder measure (thrower) dumping a few 10ths under its not that slow

ATB

Duncan

I use the Chargemaster and am very happy with it but have heard good feedback re the Lyman Gen 6 scale ....might be worth a look as its cheaper than the RCBS...no personal experience of it though.

I could never see me going back to a basic beam scale.....too slow and fiddly but some swear by them.

I have both the targetmaster/tuned scales and a Kern digital scale. If you want accuracy to the Kernel then the digital scales are the only route to go. However just how much difference that level of accuracy will make in the real world is questionable! If you want an upgrade to your lee scales i have a set of RCBS 5-0-5 scales and redding powder thrower gathering dust :-)

I use an Acculab scale (+/- 0.02 allegedly). Throw the main charge from a powder thrower and trickle up. The only problem I encounter sometimes with an electronic scale is that the scale can be affected by heat, power fluctuation/surges, static electricity etc. Which can make reloading a pain in the ar*e sometimes when it is misbehaving. I usually walk away and leave it for a while before returning to finish off. I always re-weigh the charges before putting the powder in the cases just to make sure.

The electronic scales can be temperamental whereas other methods are probably less prone to outside influences.

I like the beam + targetmaster. If you check out the videos on the targetmaster site there is one where Alan drops individual kernels of varget into the pan with a set of RCBS beam scales, they are detectable.

In actual use I think I am probably working +-3 kernels at worst, in the odd instance where the targetmaster stops a bit short I dab the button and you can see them drop. I don't believe there is any benefit to better accuracy than that, for me, not shooting mega long range, anyway.

Beam scale. The thing you should really spend your coinage on is a good manual powder metering unit (aka, "thrower") like a Jones Precision or a Harrell. Unless you are shooting 1000 yard BR you can pretty much stop weighing each charge when you use one of these. My Jones will meter H-4350 to a charge weight SD of 0.067 grains over 20 charges. With finer powders like H335, H322 or the ball powders there is negligible (a charitable way of saying none) variance.

No electronics to fuss with or warm up. They will last two lifetimes.~Andrew

Pretty much agree with all tthe posts.Some might like the 'speed' of digital-I compared and there was almost nothing in it.

Harrel powder dispenser set .1 low-it's pretty reliable (good for 100y Bench Rest) and just use a hand trickler on a Trgetmaster RCBS tuned beam. The extra electric trickler might be nice,but....the tuned beam is superb,compared to the (adequate) ordinary ones. I can definitely see the effect of two kernels,and often one.That degree of precision is probably in excess of anything needed for even competitive shooting,but it's easy to get,and reassuring-and it does not 'wobble' with air temperature,or draughts, or any other electronic glitz.

While on 'accuracy' three decimal places are just vanity,unless the scale is reliable-same decimals every time when you reweigh the same load of dispensed powder.....The Targetmaster is reliable,at least to 1 kernel.

Indulge your fancy-you won't see much difference in the holes on paper (where little draughts really matter much more) :-)

gbal

Beam scales plus a decent powder thrower. I use the basic Lee stuff which has generated some pretty surprisingly consistent results from the powder thrower. I just weigh every 5 loads to make sure it's still on the ball, and it's rarely out by much. Had the RCBS 5-0-2 but disliked the adjustment which was all too easy to knock and change the load without realising (did that a few times) so sold it. Clumsy? Yes, undoubtedly, but you can't do that with the Lee safety scale.

Was thinking of saving for an RCBS chargemaster but may just invest in Target Master instead and stock with the beam scales.

I use an old top-pan lab balance, a Mettler P163.............weighs to 0.001 grams.

£105, fully serviced and calibrated.

H/man

Yes, I've just sussed that. I've PM'd him. My scales must be over 25 years old and I've noticed them getting sticky of late. Time to tune & add maybe a camera or a target master.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks For the advice so far and the PM offers

Been flip flopping on the choice but still thing Beam scale would be the Best bet

would love a Tuned one but seems that is not really going to happen as the Guy who does it is (from 3rd parties) Snowed under on lots of things ( I know that feeling )

Target master looks good but again seems unlikely that any will be available for the foreseeable future for the same reason as Tuning Scales

But the extra speed isnt hat important to me yet Paint brush to add or take a few Kernals Seems fine so far

ATB

Duncan

I got a set of AWS Gemini 20 scales from USA...cost me £28 and measure to 0.01 Gn. For that money it was a steal and tbh when you consider 0.5 grain of powder is only bout 50 fps does it need be that accurate..??

Just to let you know - Targetmasters are available at the click of a button - just might need to wait 4-5 days for one. :) I've just this week posted my first one to Kazakhstan, that's now 21 different countries that I've sent them to.

Yes, scales are a problem - They are a total loss financially, I might spend eight hours tuning, making and fitting brackets, pointers etc.. I do the odd one to help out and charge a nominal fee but I really don't have the time available to take them on. I have several projects in the pipeline and I'm way behind on some.

I have no high tech machinery, every thing is done by hand - and I've only got one pair :)

This might be something I'll produce a small batch of in the future.(If I have time)

.th_20160422_144147_zpst3zeomhc.jpg

Just to let you know - Targetmasters are available at the click of a button - just might need to wait 4-5 days for one. :) I've just this week posted my first one to Kazakhstan, that's now 21 different countries that I've sent them to.

Yes, scales are a problem - They are a total loss financially, I might spend eight hours tuning, making and fitting brackets, pointers etc.. I do the odd one to help out and charge a nominal fee but I really don't have the time available to take them on. I have several projects in the pipeline and I'm way behind on some.

I have no high tech machinery, every thing is done by hand - and I've only got one pair :)

Excellent news on the target masters tricklers

how about a idiots guide to checking and Tuning a Beam scale I can see where it can get fiddly and take a long time

ATB

Duncan

Archived