What cleaning rod

I have used Pro-Shot for years, the plastic cover does mark over a period of time and I have just moved to the plain stainless version as they are easier to wipe down and less chance of being impregnated with carbon and debris, so far they are great.

Parker-Hale.....never seen a reason to use anything else - and all my local gunshops sell jags and brushes for them....

I have Parker hale and J Dewey in 30 cal and been using both for excess of 10 years so far with no issues

I changed my 22 cal one for a Tipton one a few years back as I dropped my original one and bent the brass Ferrell and so far no issues with that one either

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had an issue with either of my Tipton rods. I'm not sure how you'd snap one.

snapped it by using a 6mm dry patch on a .223 jag in a .223 rifle.

managed to get to reloading solutions today to replace it, selected a nice shiny proshot 32" number from their selection.

I was using pro-shot until I realised one had taken a slight bend. I didn't help matters by accidentally then standing on it last month and bending it further! Just bought a Tipton carbon rod. Good move...I think. Trouble with the thinner pro-shot rods is that they can take a bend (inevitably) and I don't want to risk my bore with a rod that's even slightly out of true. My 30 cal Pro-shot seems to be holding up fine though.

One thing I've wondered about being no chemist...would the (expensive) Tipton carbon rods be adversely affected by cleaning chemicals and solvents? I'm assuming that most laminates don't like being around solvents...one for the chemists amongst you to answer perhaps?

I was using pro-shot until I realised one had taken a slight bend. I didn't help matters by accidentally then standing on it last month and bending it further! Just bought a Tipton carbon rod. Good move...I think. Trouble with the thinner pro-shot rods is that they can take a bend (inevitably) and I don't want to risk my bore with a rod that's even slightly out of true. My 30 cal Pro-shot seems to be holding up fine though.

One thing I've wondered about being no chemist...would the (expensive) Tipton carbon rods be adversely affected by cleaning chemicals and solvents? I'm assuming that most laminates don't like being around solvents...one for the chemists amongst you to answer perhaps?

Same here. Had a Pro-Shot stainless that bent far too easily so I replaced it with a Tipton carbon, so far it seems an improvement. Wasn't happy about the price tag but it is good quality.

Archived