Lyman bore scope

onelesscharlie

The borescope has arrived and certainly looks the part even with the surprisingly low price tag, HOWEVER, I am not to proud to ask if someone could give me an insight as to what the F*** I am looking at when I look down a barrel.

This will be an exceptionally useful tool but only if I can correctly interpret what I am looking at.

Any help or guidance welcomed.

regards

Colin

Ditto!

Scared myself *hitless looking down my first barrel after getting the scope.

Looks fire-cracked but getting a second opinion.

There are pictures and videos of good/bad barrels on the Hawkeye website.

Colin,though-perhaps because-its the Hawkeye Borescope,the following you tube has excellent examples of what very good,and variably not good to awful barrels look like (wear,rust,copper,fire cracking,crud...I feel faint....) :

You Tube posted 27 june 2014,5.49 mins by Ron Spomer.No doubt,there will be others.

"See Inside Bores with Hawkeye Borescope from Gradient Lens Corp."

gbal

Colin - have a play with your borescope - scope as many barrels as you can - including new ones - and you'll soon get a feel for what a good barrel should look like.

Usually, even bad barrels look OK at the muzzle end. On a good barrel, both ends will look the same.

I think it was the new lyman borescope I looked down my 6.5 06 bore saturday, I was shocked to how bad it looked, way worse than I imagined but rifle is shooting as good as it ever done at the moment.after nearly 1600 shots would every c/f rifle look the same or not

In what way was it 'bad', or 'worse than you imagined'? I'm not trying to cause a fight - it's a case of genuine interest! :)

There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke , don't fix it." From a shooter point of view rather than that of a gunsmith, I think looking down a bore scope might worry me if it wasn't what i expected.

I think back to the post by tattooedgun a while back where it showed copper residue even after cleaning. I think it would drive me nuts.

I've recently been down this road. Looking down my centre fire rifles was interesting to say the least. All my rifles were shooting to a level that I

thought acceptable but my .243 suddenly lost a lot of velocity.....To cut a long story short, my cleaning regime that I thought was adequate was actually pants. With the advice of a good friend I have interpreted what I was seeing with the bore scope and 'bottomedmout' the bores of all my rifles - and its interesting to compare cut barrels with hammered. I now know which cleaning products I have are good and which are not so good. It will be interesting

to shoot the rifles again and see how they perform and if the .243 regains some velocity.

As for a bore scope, I wish I'd bought one years ago.

In what way was it 'bad', or 'worse than you imagined'? I'm not trying to cause a fight - it's a case of genuine interest! :)

it was badly pitted and fire cracked quite bad . troubles is as I said what's another barrels bore like after 1600 shots.ive nearly always cleaned my bores after every bisley day.prob 50 shots in between cleans.approx 20 rounds had gone frew it when I scoped it.maybe that's why pitting etc was clearly visable.there is plenty of gunsmiths and experts on here who could throw some light on my question.

I've recently been down this road. Looking down my centre fire rifles was interesting to say the least. All my rifles were shooting to a level that I

thought acceptable but my .243 suddenly lost a lot of velocity.....To cut a long story short, my cleaning regime that I thought was adequate was actually pants. With the advice of a good friend I have interpreted what I was seeing with the bore scope and 'bottomedmout' the bores of all my rifles - and its interesting to compare cut barrels with hammered. I now know which cleaning products I have are good and which are not so good. It will be interesting

to shoot the rifles again and see how they perform and if the .243 regains some velocity.

As for a bore scope, I wish I'd bought one years ago.

Any chance you could reveal the good products and your method in brief,,,thanks ,,,,O

I've just taken shots of 3 barrels to give you an idea........each of these rifles will hold 1/2 MOA..........

The light is a bit orange, but there is no excess copper or carbon present in any of them.

From top to bottom they are:

The Bartlein (Bart 1) is a 308 30" 11 twist with approx 500 rounds through it. It doesn't have any tendency to foul.

The Border (Bord 1) is a 6BR 24" 8 twist with more than 2000 rounds through it. Exact number not known as I bought it second hand......it looks REALLY scary, but it shoots...........

The Lothar Walther is a 6BR 30" 8 twist, and acquired second hand, I have no idea how many rounds have been through it. I've done well over a 1000, and before I bought it, the barrel had been on a RPA Quadlock for 7 years, then re-chambered and put on a Musgrave, so it has a history...............it's certainly the hardest wearing barrel of the three.

The Hawkeye picture with the naked eye is much better than with my diy digicam adapter fitted.

At the end of the day, it's how it shoots that counts.

Hope this helps to calm your shattered nerves....................

Pete

PS I clean every 100 rounds or so using Robla Solo Mil on VFG felts. I block the muzzle with a cork held on with tape, then stroke the moistened felt back and forth along the full length of the barrel 20 or 30 times, then remove cork and patch through a couple of times with a wet patch (Robla is ammoniacal), then patch completely dry and oil with 3 in 1 Advanced lubricant to store.

I run a boresnake through once before commencing shooting, and once at the end.

Pete

Archived