Keeping warm up a hi seat?

longbow3

Any ideas about the best way to keep my feet warm when i'm up a hi seat during winter nights?

Any special lined boots that are any good?

No conventional clothing will make you warm. The best that it will do is to slow down the rate at which you lose body heat.

I use and recommend full-length merino underwear, both upper and lower. It's expensive in normal shops, but I keep my eyes open in charity shops, TK Maxx etc. and have found some excellent deals. TK Maxx, for example, has/had an offer on XTM brand merino underwear. I bought both a long-sleeved T-shirt and long-johns; they are excellent.

I have also picked up two or three Howie's brand merino T-shirts in charity shops for pennies.

I would recommend Gore-Tex boots used with a technical, wicking, inner sock and a merino outer sock. Again, I picked up a pair of Danner Jackal hunting boots in TK Maxx about 5 years ago for ¼ UK retail. They're still my go-to stalking boots.

Don't rely on a single, thick coat to do the job: use the layering system. Think Gore-Tex, down and fleece.

Invest a couple of quid in a foam seating pad to keep the cold of the seat out of your nethers. Try a gardener's kneeling pad, or an old kip mat or exercise mat cut to appropriate size.

A Thermos of hot soup (not coffee, you don't need caffeine jitters...) works wonders for morale and core temperature.

Buy good kit, look after it, and it will look after you.

maximus otter

Got a fleece from Cabellas with heat pads on the chest and back, like wearing an electric blanket bloody awesome! Runs on a rechargeable lithium battery pack lasts for 3-4 hours full whack and comes with a remote to change the temp setting. Get one of those and some heated ski insoles and you'll be sorted. Or just take a big hip flask up with you...

I've just got some heated insoles for skiing from www.happyhotfeet.com

The beauty of these is the battery is incorporated into the insole so there are no external wires....radio controlled heat settings. Could be perfect for a high seat.

Regards Rob.

Trucraft: have you acctually used the Ebay ones- Warmawear (black) £85 Blue tooth control ...? or the red warmawear with simple remote control switch £65.Both USB chargeable.How well do they work-reviws on cheapo battery ones are pretty well,not even luke warm!!

Rob-same question really-happyhotfeet were not a very easy site to use-did you get the Thermacell insoles (red $135?£85) or the Thermacell Proflex insoles (black) -I assume more features-maybe as Warmawear.

How do yours work (and what were they?

I'd still include merino wool socks.

gbal

I find this works !!

caravan-of-the-sky-is-what-grown-ups-do-

:lol: Quality , this is why i love this foram !

Loving the replies guys - even the goofie ones lol :D where do I get a telescopic caravan then? :wacko:

Sleeping bag suits and hip flasks don't sound like a good idea up a hi-seat, unless I am tied to the tree

I usually wear a pair of fleece trousers under a pair of special thickness deerhunter trousers and that keeps my legs warm, but my feet have always been a problem.

I like the idea of the heated insoles, I will have to look into that.

I have also seen different pairs of Meindl type boots which have extra thick liners for cold climates and wondered if anyone could recommend a pair?

Gbal,

Sorry no experience of the heated battery kind, just thought for the price they might be worth a punt.

post-11512-0-53639200-1450478441_thumb.jpg

I had a pair of these and they were very warm. Too warm for walking far unless it was below freezing but perfect for high seats.

Only thing is the ribber is soft and cuts easily so be careful. I wear the fleese inner as slippers in the house.

Gbal.....

bought mine off Sportpursuit.com for £40 plus postage. Only tried them inside regular boots and fitted them for ski boots.....little bit tight fitting so if your boots are very tight it might be an issue (think the website says they're 12mm thick at the heel). They seem to be a decent quality product but only time will tell.

Mrs had a set that had an external battery and had to be clipped to outside of ski boots....too much of a faff for me so these seem a good compromise.....not sure id pay £90 (full rrp) for them though.........although what price warm feet eh ???

Regards, Rob.

Or you can man up I suppose lol

Or what about a camp fire roaring under neath ?

Archived