un strip_able moderator care ?

Irrelevant ,Whats the mpg of your rifle?

Actually a good point.

I have owned unstrippable mods since I started shooting years ago. Only had one wear out - a Reflex T8 and that was after 5k rounds through it with NOTHING at all in cleaning - not even a spray of WD40 ! I just wiped down the outside if it got wet.

Now using Ase Utra mods and again, absolutely no cleaning at all. Just wipe down the outside if wet.

I figure, considering the cost - if you get a few thousand rounds from a mod, it has payed for itself. Then just replace it - like you would when your car exhaust wears out.

I am sure some will get a stainless mod, strip it regularly and make it last years but probably at more cost ( initial outlay and man hours in stripping ) than a cheaper "disposable" non stainless, non-strip item.

Irrelevant ,Whats the mpg of your rifle?

Bit of an unhelpful answer. I've sold many, many mods and only had to replace units damaged due to incorrect reassembly.

Never yet had a sealed unit returned for anyting but T8 corrosion. Still worked, but had a very small pinhole develop.

Used to run T8,s for many years,,,,,warm through if coming in from the cold,, spray a "little" oil in both ends then spray and run through with an oil wet nylon brush.,,,all lasted a fair few thousand rounds before upgrading to Ase Utra,s compacts and CQB,s,,,,same treatment no problems.I have recently undone and changed the threaded adapter on a compact to suit a new rifle,s muzzle threading and took the opportunity to examine the immediate insides of the mod which surprisingly only showed mild caking deposits after about three thousand rounds on a previous rifle.I think Ase Utra reckon 10k is around service life of these mods,,no thoughts of doubting this considering the robust internal and external construction.

Answer to your question is don't store after coming in from cold and damp,,,warm through thoroughly and get a little oil coating in and around as best you can but not too much eh,,,,,,,,,O

Manufacturers are going full circle on mods, basically because the majority of the public can't be trusted to reassemble them correctly, and many are being returned damaged, due to incorrect reassembly.

There is nothing to go wrong with a sealed unit. It will only hold so much carbon before blowing the excess out, and if a little spray oil is used regularly, it keeps this soft and is blown out. The internals will gas cut whether they are cleaned or not. Probably faster if the carbon is regularly removed.

Leaving an amount of carbon inside will actually deaden the report more too.

I won't sell mods like the sonic etc for this reason.

I always liked the strippable Maxim, but its replacement is a far better mod, and its lighter and quieter. Its a sealed unit. Its also covered by Jacksons world beating guarantee.

Mods are a commodity, like tyres or barrels.

Manufacturers are going full circle on mods, basically because the majority of the public can't be trusted to reassemble them correctly, and many are being returned damaged, due to incorrect reassembly.

There is nothing to go wrong with a sealed unit. It will only hold so much carbon before blowing the excess out, and if a little spray oil is used regularly, it keeps this soft and is blown out. The internals will gas cut whether they are cleaned or not. Probably faster if the carbon is regularly removed.

Leaving an amount of carbon inside will actually deaden the report more too.

I won't sell mods like the sonic etc for this reason.

I always liked the strippable Maxim, but its replacement is a far better mod, and its lighter and quieter. Its a sealed unit. Its also covered by Jacksons world beating guarantee.

Mods are a commodity, like tyres or barrels.

This sums it up perfectly ;)

Me too lol....

I have a dpt that is easy to clean and also a wildcat evo...the hardy is the first none strip i have bought..it seems strange just to leave it as it is ....

I like to be able to clean kit , maybe OCD but it was beaten into me in basic, Ive got a Sonic 45 on a .308 , after 60-70 rounds I get a dessert spoon of carbon / powder out of it.

I've got mods that strip, the best being the one less Charly mod and those that don't, I leave well alone unless there's a problem with the solid state mods I spray with car brake cleaner and always place on the warm rad after use. The one less Charly mod is recommended to strip and clean often. This is realy easy just leave to soak in washing up liquid ,with water, and rinse and dry.

I've got mods that strip, the best being the one less Charly mod and those that don't, I leave well alone unless there's a problem with the solid state mods I spray with car brake cleaner and always place on the warm rad after use. The one less Charly mod is recommended to strip and clean often. This is realy easy just leave to soak in washing up liquid ,with water, and rinse and dry.

I use brake cleaner and high temp grease on re assembly , its worked fine for several years .

I've got a maxim on my stalking rifle, taped it up on day one to stop it coming apart. It lives on a pipe in the boiler room unless its out hunting (it goes out quite a lot). Thats it cared for! More caring for the barrel really, cary for the moderator is just a consequence.

It`ll still choke up with crap whatever its made from if you cant strip it.

Well I am running a stainless PES/MAE T12 on a 300wm that has circa 80gr of powder going through it each shot, sure it has a coating on the baffles but after a while you cant add anything further to it and anything that breaks off gets blasted out the front

I have no issues with bullets clipping anything or adverse effects of not being stripped

I also have the T12 scout which is semi strippable, also stainless, it gets used on 2 magnum rimfires, 2x222, and a 243

I used to clean the gunk out but now don't bother, its actually quieter now

• 4 weeks later...

Doh!

I used to give mine a WD40 bath every now and then, but it just got oily black crap everywhere. Now I just take it off and dump it in the safe with a bag of silica gel for company.

Using an ASE Utra NS3, total tank of a thing.

I've got a maxim on my stalking rifle, taped it up on day one to stop it coming apart. It lives on a pipe in the boiler room unless its out hunting (it goes out quite a lot). Thats it cared for! More caring for the barrel really, cary for the moderator is just a consequence.

Shouldn't it be in the safe?

Archived