un strip_able moderator care ?

I prefer aluminium/stainless non strippable, as stated just place them somewhere warm to dry out. The only ones I need to strip and clean are old PH MM1's for my early 60's Rem 66 semi auto rimfire that refuses to cycle if the moderators are really dirty which is a pity because it becomes appreciably quieter as the carbon increases.

We recommend that our Onelesscharlie strippable mods are cleaned after every outing if they have been fired, this is primarily due to the fact that if shooters get out of the habit of stripping and cleaning, what was a strippable mod soon becomes seized up due to solidified deposits.

This often results in damage as they then try to force them apart.

Gas cutting will always be an issue irrespective of design style and as Baldie mentioned these items are a consumable commodity, there is nothing however to stop you extending their lifespan with good housekeeping.

I believe in KISS , and when it comes to supressors , because of the dirty nature of 22LR , cans for the rimfire get really dirty with un-burnt powder & wax , then in rimfire cans , I see value in having a stripable can .

In centerfire , I normally prefer a sealed can , and of SS or TI , this means no corrosin / rust issues , when they foul up , just threw some vinger/acid down them , most well designed & made centerfire cans will out last the barrel .

One thing that no one seems to bring up , is when you have a stripable can made for a centerfire calibre , and most use threaded means of keeping the can & baffles together , what happens when they start un-screwing by them selves , and the internals or external parts start moving around , when they are not meant to .

Its quite common in swiss BT cans , that use a internal threaded ring to hold the baffle stack compressed .

I have used stripable cans , modular cans , welded cans , and in the main , I want it solid sealed welded construction , or the new 3 D printed type , which is one soild piece , hard to get any simpler or stronger .

I have had cans un-screw that should not , ie LH thread AI Tac brakes , the cans I like the most are ones that cannot come apart , ie welded or printed , and that have a locking mech of some sort , to stop the can un-screwing it self from the weapon , that can be like the AAC rachet or the AU borelock , or the BT rotec etc .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ASE Utra on my hummer, boy, is that a PITA to reassemble or what?

On the centrefire it's a MAE T12, it just goes straight back into the safe. It's not as if it gets used a lot when it's out anyway, I reckon it could possibly see me out!

The rimfire may see 30-90 shots in an evening, hence a quality, strippable mod. The centrefire might see 6 shots on a busy night, hence one piece, quality maintenance free.

Archived