Tikka t3 varmint wandering

I've noticed my tikka wandering off after a couple of shots, this is out at around 3-4-500 meters but it's really boiling my piss! Anyone else get this? It's a varmint 20" barrel in a bedded stock. 6.5x55. Thanks for any advice/thoughts

I'll check again but it is a fresh-ish build, optilocks have been loc tited and so on. I was wondering if it is the barrel heating up as every cold to like warm first shot is spot on.

Madyarra,

You say you rifle's 'wandering off', as in 'wandering off and keeps wandering' or 'wandering off and stabilising'?

Is this from a clean barrel i.e. the rifles settling in/ or 'burning off' anything in the barrel?

T

Why not just let it cool a bit after the first one or two satisfactory shots,at least back to the approx temp after the first shot.

If shot three still wanders,it's unlikely to be barrel heating in any direct way.

If shot three does not wander,then barrel heating is indicated as the cause of wandering when fired too rapidly.

A few minutes should be enough to get an answer,though repeating the three shot proceedure would be advisable...

Obviously,hot loads would be more likely to cause heat dispersal if fired too fast..so a lighter load could be a further check..

gbal

Between us my son and I have three T3 Varmint/Super Varmints (.223, .308 & .300 WSM), I've never seen any sign of change of impact with these heavy barrels. Admittedly all three of ours are in chassis rather than issue stocks and shoot 1/2MOA or better, but I'm surprised to hear this.

In my opinion there must be another factor: Loose bedding screws, scope mounts etc. - check every possibility.

Reloads or factory ammo ?

I'm using a bedded custom stock and home loads. It seems to be ok at say 100m-200m. The barrel is also fully free floating. I'm goin to be loading this weekend so I'll take the chance to strip it all down again and get everything tight. It's also not a loose mod as I've experienced that before so check regularly now. I'll let everyone know how it goes! Thanks for the suggestions folk.

I'm using a bedded custom stock and home loads. It seems to be ok at say 100m-200m. The barrel is also fully free floating. I'm goin to be loading this weekend so I'll take the chance to strip it all down again and get everything tight. It's also not a loose mod as I've experienced that before so check regularly now. I'll let everyone know how it goes! Thanks for the suggestions folk.

What about your scope?

go evening ,I had a similar thing with my super varmint and found the scope was faulty .vortex viper pst ffp 6x24x50 now replaced with a leupold mk4 no further problems good luck hope you find and fix the problem

What's it shootin like @ 100 & 200 ? Could it be scope cant, not level ?

Cheers Bradders but I get enough of that bullsh*t off my mates! Lol I'm not going to say in any way that I'm a practiced target shooter but I'd like to think I can put more than one shot out of 5 on to a 16" square plate at 500m

Cheers Bradders but I get enough of that bullsh*t off my mates! Lol I'm not going to say in any way that I'm a practiced target shooter but I'd like to think I can put more than one shot out of 5 on to a 16" square plate at 500m

One out of five is quite poor.......at 600 yds , a T3 without issues will put 10 in a 16" plate at 600yds no problem,

Archived