Scopes for long range vermin & plinking

i though I would start this to find out what is the most popular scope you are all using for longrange vermin & plinking ,and if you could give some guidance to new comers as to why you picked that scope.

I went for a kahles 624i with a mil4 ret reson for this at the time swar had no scopes with target turrets,looked at the s&b pm2 that was £900 more but to my eyes no better so I got the kahles.

Thanks stephen

Night force for extreme conditions / weather etc . But if i could afford a diavari 6-24 X 70 thatd be the one . Got a new 5-25 HD5 zeiss conquest to try tomorrow on new rifle also , for 800 quid it seems great but field use will reveal just how good !

Night force for extreme conditions / weather etc . But if i could afford a diavari 6-24 X 70 thatd be the one . Got a new 5-25 HD5 zeiss conquest to try tomorrow on new rifle also , for 800 quid it seems great but field use will reveal just how good !

I'd be interested to hear how that goes.

Is £800 the normal RRP?

Cheers. Paul

Is £800 the normal RRP?

Cheers. Paul

i though I would start this to find out what is the most popular scope you are all using for longrange vermin & plinking ,and if you could give some guidance to new comers as to why you picked that scope.

I went for a kahles 624i with a mil4 ret reson for this at the time swar had no scopes with target turrets,looked at the s&b pm2 that was £900 more but to my eyes no better so I got the kahles.

Thanks stephen

Could this include "for or against" FFP and SFP, please?

I would be interested in that, particularly as I don't know anyone who owns a FFP scope and wondered about the benefits in this instance.

Cheers. Paul

I have also recently gone down the Kahles 624i route - also with the moa MOAK reticle. I am very happy with it - its my first serious FFP scope. I wanted to try one, given the comments about ease of correcting, especially where splash can be seen on the ground, which made sense to me.

My fears that the reticle would be too coarse and cover up too much target have proved to be unfounded - the reticle has a small detached dot at the centre of the cross-hair, which subtends 0.12moa. Using it out to 600yds at Millpool, I was easily able to still see the outside edges of a 1" white paster around the centre dot at 600 - I can't imagine ever having a rifle (or the skill to use it) which will require more precision than that.

By no means an expert as I only recently started using a scope with turrets and an LRF with my 300wm

I am sure there are better scopes depending on budget, my budget stretched to a 4-14x50 Zeiss conquest with z-plex

Recently I used it at 100, 200, 350, 480 and 950 through the course of a day.

It tracked well and I didn't feel the reticule was too coarse but I wasn't aiming at 1" targets at the latter distances!

Have just bought another 2nd hand for the .222 and will be testing that with a view to maybe swapping them over for the higher mag on the win mag

I have also recently gone down the Kahles 624i route - also with the moa MOAK reticle. I am very happy with it - its my first serious FFP scope. I wanted to try one, given the comments about ease of correcting, especially where splash can be seen on the ground, which made sense to me.

My fears that the reticle would be too coarse and cover up too much target have proved to be unfounded - the reticle has a small detached dot at the centre of the cross-hair, which subtends 0.12moa. Using it out to 600yds at Millpool, I was easily able to still see the outside edges of a 1" white paster around the centre dot at 600 - I can't imagine ever having a rifle (or the skill to use it) which will require more precision than that.

Welcome to the dark side Brian!

As Bushdog pointed out, the 'myth' re. cross hairs covering targets is a bit long in the tooth, but if laying out serious money on a scope you'd best have a good look thru' it first?

T

Cheers Terry - I was basing my fears on a FFP scope (I can't recall what make it was) an old friend (now far away) had on his .338 win, back in the good old days. - When that was wound right up to max magnification, you could hide a small cow behind the reticle!!

Like I said - very impressed with the Kahles - both in terms of reticle, but also the turrets, glass and whole package.

Is £800 the normal RRP?

Cheers. Paul

Hi yes it is that price but theres probably only 1 place in this country that can get that scope , William Evans London . The scope yesterday seems great , i love the lockable turrets . Zoomed upto 25x on a target @200 yards it seem not quite as crisp as my nxs BUT it could of been a bit of heat haze from the moderator , its still early days so plenty more testing to do . As i was shooting an OCW test , i shot one of the best tight groups iv ever shot with that scope, new 6mmBR , virgin brass / loads ( neck turned only ) with a trigger i was getting used to @200 yards overall it was just under ½ " but centre to centre it was less than ¼" @.205" sweet i thought ! Ok i pulled shot number 4 that went 1" high and right , but the other 4 made one ragged hole . Hopefully it will keep shooting well with more development - Gone off topic now Sorry lol -

I use one of the older Zeiss 6-24x56 scopes. The one with the metal 5mm click windage and elevation target turrets. I find it excellent for day and night use.

I have the very same scope and have done for a good few years. I also have the new Kahles 6-24 Ki.

I have spent many hours comparing them in all different weather conditions and lightings ... the more I compared the scopes , the more I released how much better the old Zeiss is than the new Kahles.

Optically the Zeiss is a better scope . bigger field of view - resolution is better and colours are more vivid. It is noticeably better in low light conditions too. I also prefer the finer 0.5 cm clicks on the Zeiss than the 1 mil Kahles. for LR shooting at small targets.

The parallax on the Kahles scope is fiddly too IME ... novel at first , being located directly under the elevation turret - but it is actually awkward and it really gets on my tits now.

I have owned a lot of top class glass - the Kahles isn't in the top 3 for me.

ATB

S

I have the very same scope and have done for a good few years. I also have the new Kahles 6-24 Ki.

I have spent many hours comparing them in all different weather conditions and lightings ... the more I compared the scopes , the more I released how much better the old Zeiss is than the new Kahles.

Optically the Zeiss is a better scope . bigger field of view - resolution is better and colours are more vivid. It is noticeably better in low light conditions too. I also prefer the finer 0.5 cm clicks on the Zeiss than the 1 mil Kahles. for LR shooting at small targets.

The parallax on the Kahles scope is fiddly too IME ... novel at first , being located directly under the elevation turret - but it is actually awkward and it really gets on my tits now.

I have owned a lot of top class glass - the Kahles isn't in the top 3 for me.

ATB

S

That's interesting that you find kahles not as good as the ziess, my own experience of the scope was on power with my friends swarovski 6 x 24 x50 we were looking at bullet holes in a target at 300y each looking through each others scopes we also looked at a target as it was getting dark both were same to our eyes could not say one was better than the other.

I had a vortex pst 6-24x50 that was a great scope for dailing in for long range I had it out to a 1000 yards and many other range but not past a 1000 yards but I was very impressed with it returned to zero perfect and never lost zero, but I swapped the vortex for a s&b pm2 which is as good

• 2 weeks later...

I had a vortex pst 6-24x50 that was a great scope for dailing in for long range I had it out to a 1000 yards and many other range but not past a 1000 yards but I was very impressed with it returned to zero perfect and never lost zero, but I swapped the vortex for a s&b pm2 which is as good

Hello Nicky.223

I am in the process of buying the Vortex PST 6-24x50. I would like to know how the clarity of glass compares to the PM2? I imagine not as bright?

I use a z6i 5-30 x50. The only thing I don't like about it is the wind age turret. The elevation turret is the ballistic turret which I find very handy for the foxing. I am currently in the process of making a ballistic turret for the wind age with aiming points of 5 and 10 mph full value marks out to 500 yards. When I have this made I will be well and truly happy with it. I can dial out to 800 yards and have enough wind age for a 10 mph full value wind at that distance. The glass is unbelievable. I have looked through zeiss,Schmidt and blender and kahles and to my eyes the Swarovski comes out on top.

I believe that rating glass at the higher end optics of course is lol personable opinions. Everyone has different eye etc so can only go according too you visually looking through different optics. I'm sure if you are near any of these guys they would allow you to look through these optics, I would love a khales but not sure on what ret, love the flowing dot concept, vortex gen 2 or the nightforce Atacr. They are my three go too optics and will be looking through all three at the shooting show to come up with my final decision.

All the best.

CZV

Finally got round to making a wind age turret for the z6i. Very happy with the result. Maybe going to get it powder coated satin black to finish it off. Here's it here:

17055b2d616ce21aaad45cff6cb3ae8f.jpg

Sort of does away with the scope caps and plastic turrets. The turret is totally sealed to the elements with an o ring inside the turret.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers. Paul

Iv managed to get a few more session in with this scope now im very pleased with it , ( zeiss HD5 5-25X50 ) i went out Thursday for a gong session @600 yards for the first time with this scope and rifle . So far so good in a variable cross wind i hit gong second shot then adjusted till i was in centre and fired a 3 shot group that measured 2" - so it seems to track well enough & for virgin loads thats pretty good i thought . The scope set on 20 X it seems clear and crisp and nice to use , iv got the z-Plex ret on mine and itd be fine for varmint out to 600 and more! the only little thing is the white line that should line up with the top turret when zeroed its slightly off to the right so ill have to sort that somehow . Im going to take it out futher next time 700 maybe 900 but all in all im very pleased with it .

Archived