Which press would you recommend

sean223

We'll guys, having never bought a press looking for some help in picking one! Thinking on the rcbs rockchucker or the redding big boss 11?? Or if there's anything else that I should be looking at fire away. Cheers.

ive got a redding big boss 2 with the priming plunger fitted, for a single stage works well, would be fine for the .223, swiching between large and small primers can be a pain, but the extra priming bar is reasonably priced.

I use a forster co-ax now days.

However I started with a basic lee press kit that was bought for me as a birthday present 10 years ago. If stood me well and I did well in the few competitions I have entered.

The simple 0 style press has served well for many a hand loader. I use a co-ax only because of being in the right place at the right time.

Learn to reload on any kit but most I importantly be consistent in whatever you do.

All the presses will work well-Forster is well engineered,but costs a bit more.Any basic O frame (or C frame) will give good service for most reloading-I have/use lymans,old and new,RCBS,and Harrell-single stage and turret-the latter have to be a little less rigid,but I detect no difference in the field ammo.Competition grade is via an arbor press and hand dies for finesse ( maybe in the mind).

I'd rather put any extra £ into top class dies,which is where the real action occurs-always given a very solid foundation in the press. You need ever only buy one press though from those mentioned.

gbal

Forster and RCBS would be my choice for low volume loading and i have a Dillon for "mass production"

Also use K&M Arbour for some competition loads, though thats not used much these days :(

RCBS rockchucker are good presses but I did manage to break off a small piece near the tapped hole for the operating handle. This was replaced foc but on the replacement I omitted the locking nut so as to allow more thread engagement into the tapped hole which for some reason seems a little short of thread length on the round bar???

I use a Forster co-ax and a Sinclair arbour press no complaints about either.

+1

I kept a redding press as well on the side until I couldn't justify it not just use the same, a Forster and a K&M Arbor

Both are a joy to use

You could keep an eye out for a good second-hand RCBS Junior (eg JR3) which are a mid-sized cast iron press that's more than capable of handling all std cartridges though I'd stick with the Rockchucker or equiv if you have any thoughts of adding very big cases later.

No mention of Hornady?

I have been on a reloading course today and I too am wondering what press to buy - RCBS or Hornady?

From what I have seen I am happy with the reloading process, case preparation etc. , its the initial setting up of the kit, dies etc. which I concerned me.

Geek,it's basic but quite straightforward.New press/dies will have instructions.

Put shellholder in press and raise fully.

Screw down sizer/decapper die (FL or Neck only) down ubtil it just kisses the raised shellholder,back of 1/4 turn (otherwise there will be slight pressue on the press).The decapping pin should be protruding maybe 1/4 inch from the die-it has to push the fired primer out -not critical,given it's just long enough,but there is another adjust for it on top of die.Lock die in place.

Lube your case-that is critical-and run it into the dies gently at first.Primer should drop,and there will be a little resistance as base of case is resized-shouldn't be much though (be especially careful woth cases fired in a different rifle-might be tight(er)-best avoid if they are.)

Lower press and remove resized,deprimed case.

Bullet seating is similar-no lube though.BUt you do need to adjust the seating spindle,which has a cupped end that just pushes the bullet into the case,to give the COAL you want-best start long-with a dummy,no powder/primesr,case and just screw in the spindle bit by bit ,and measure COAL,until you get it right.That's then your dummy datum case for thatbullet(and that COAL).You may want in time to be more accurate-that needs a bullet seating measure kit.For now ,get your prefered COAL and lock die il place.

Check your dummy round loads from magazine,and chambers/ejects easily.

Ready to reload.

But do get a basic guide-or more advanced with the basics included. But the detail mattters-eg light lube,not gobs of it (dent the case-nowhere else to go!) and very light on neck only,if that ,if you neck size only (easier when using the cases fired in your chamber,at least for a few reloads,til they need Full Length again to SAAMI size) Don't rush,any of it-twenty good rounds are way ahead of thirty,including a dodgy one!! Remember bullets-even same weight from different makers- can and do vary in length,so be prepared to adjut seater a tad-actually,bullets in the same box vary,but don't worry about that now.It's an easy fix with a seating depth kit,but COAL will do fine for now-it's what factory ammo .Enjoy.

gbal

Archived