Which 6.5

Late

I have sold a rifle last week so I will be putting in for a variation, I was thinking of a 6.5x47 but now I'm also considering a 6.5x55 or evan a 6.5x284.

It will be used for target and a bit of stalking.

What would your choice be? Pros and cons?

Cheers folks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

260rem v 6.5x47L v 6.5 Creedmore...google this comparative test -it pretty well covers the main current mid group 6.5s; though the older 6.5x55 Swedish is a proven stalking cartridge.

6.5x284 is up a notch in performance-has an clear edge as long range target caibre-though there are better for that in 7mm (eg the parent 284)- both are good stalking cartridges.

The topic has been covered recently here.There is considerable difference in availability/cost (especially non custom),pretty much in the order mentioned,with 260 and Swede factory available......

gbal

.260 Rem. :)

Jamie

I have a 260 but thinking of going 6.5 Grendel next time for longer barrel life.

I have a grendel . Barrel life is great but it's way down on performance and you are limited on bullet weight

Admittedly mine in on an AR platform not a bolt gun but I can only push a 123g scenar to 2550 before I get pressure signs. (24" barrel)

it'll still get to 1000 yds though which gets some funny looks from the target boys when i lay down with an AR.

Oh ....and i have a .260 as well.

140's on deer lighter 123 or even lighter on vermin if you want the velocity.

20150218_142716_edit_1428264255467.jpg

Just another incentive to go .260

All the best with your choice.

CZV

I have no experience of the 260, but run a 6.5x55 and a 6.5x47L. ......tbh you can't go wrong with any of them. Buy what is available or can afford and enjoy! :)

It's a hard call between 260 Rem and 6.5 x 47. if you ever wanted to stalk with factory ammo, then the 260 Rem would be my pick. I'm a little biased given I've currently got 2 x 260 Rem.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html Wyatt's Extended Magazine Box for rounds up to 3 inch in length.

and

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1swn10jac6fayc4/AADeI1kLK0Q6XFhvvSvv0Weia?dl=0 HS magazine limiting COL to 2.8 inches

If I was starting from scratch today, I'm not sure where I would end up.

Regards

JCS

In all seriousness, they are all good if built and set up properly. We have roe muntjac and fallow here and 120/123 gn bullets at circa 2800/2900 seem optimum.

The 47 delivers them very well.

Ive seen a lot of "stalkers" use overheavy factory ammo in the 55, the consequence being mis-placed shots at normal ranges due to bad estimation.

If i was going factory, id use a 55 and stoke it fast with homeloads and lightish bullets! Hmmm, spare barrel for r93 in 6.5x55....

swede 65 x 55 120gr cannot go wrong really, & 139 /142 's @ 200yd max ..never seen anything under 90kg + wander too far.on a range 600+ is a joy.

I have a grendel . Barrel life is great but it's way down on performance and you are limited on bullet weight

Admittedly mine in on an AR platform not a bolt gun but I can only push a 123g scenar to 2550 before I get pressure signs. (24" barrel)

it'll still get to 1000 yds though which gets some funny looks from the target boys when i lay down with an AR.

Oh ....and i have a .260 as well.

I'm building a 6.5 Grendel on a bolt gun at the moment.

Rem 700 action, PPC faced bolt (John Carr made it), 26" Pacnor barrel (Neil McKillop supplied it) (Mik Maksimovic reprofiled and fluted it)

Should be a fun gun

When I occasionally venture out to 1000 I too use an AR, but with 80 JLK's

6.5mm for Target and Stalking.

Any

Short Actions

6.5 x 47 is inherently accurate, limited only by bullet weight (max 130 grains practically), its the calibre I get asked to build the most of.

260 Rem - based on the 308 cartridge, it will handle 140 grainers, which is possibly the only benefit I see of this case over the "47 Lapua"

Long Actions

6.5 x 55, again very accurate if "traditional" case, made using a modern rifle action loads will far exceed what is printed in reloading manuals for vintage weapons

The case will handle up to 160 grain bullets

6.5 - 06 - wildcat based on the 25-06 / 30-06 parent case - bit of a barrel burner, but very effective and capable of handling up to 140 grain bullets, though sometimes difficult to get shooting consistently accurately

6.5 x 284 - the darling of the Benchrest community 15 years ago and now adopted as a mainstream cartridge, excellent as a deer or target load though now superseded with developments in 7mm bullet technology. The cartridge is a very strong contender as the "best" do all.

All the above will excel at killing deer of any size in the UK - I use 6.5 x 284 and 6.5 x 47 regularly and they work with the right bullets on any species.

Targetry - again the strong contenders here are the , "47, 260 and 284" though theres absolutely nothing wrong with the "55"

Personally I prefer the 47 and 284, which I've shot in numerous guises for years.

Rem 700 action, PPC faced bolt (John Carr made it), 26" Pacnor barrel (Neil McKillop supplied it) (Mik Maksimovic reprofiled and fluted it)

Should be a fun gun

Yep ,the 30BR so built is a very nice short/medium range rifle. Mine is a precise shooter ...1/4 " at 100).Just runs out of puff though around 600 (125g) as will the Grendel

As a stalking cartridge,it is limited,even marginal except for short range with careful loads/bullets-much better exist-the main 6.5s eg.

As a score competition 300y cartridge,about the best..accurate and a big hole (works for varmints too!) Maybe edges 6PPC,and superior beyond 400y.

As a 1000 yarder ....nope,way out of it's envelope....

Thought long about an AR15 Grendel,but overall,could not see a real gain over the incoming new heavy bullet 223s.

(not that they would be my first choice at 1000 either,if the must hit target was sub 1.5 moa).

But these heavy shorties are nice to shoot,and exemplary within their envelope,in the right platform,and a little different-well,the 30 BR is.

gbal

Should be a fun gun

have you got a velocity you are hoping to achieve?? The 6.5mm bullets are so slippery though , even launching at modest speeds they remain supersonic for a long way

The Grendel can only shoot the same 6.5 bullets as the main 6.5 contenders,and really only the lighter end ones(123g).Whatever the BC-it's .26 for SMK 123,and .301 for the 142g-the top three just have more capacity,so are considerably better options for long range (though hardly optimal )with whatever bullet is selected....why the 260 is popular with mid range precision shooters.(it has other advantages in platform),and the 6.5 lapua with many others,and the Credmore for targeteers. Grendel's niche is it works in an AR platform.(the 30BR does not.)

The 30BR shoots (light) 308 bullets,but can't keep up with the 308 beyond medium range.....same issue,though even more so. Best extoll what a cartridge does well,and be realistic about what it can't do well. BC and velocity are not everything,but their reduction is generally not good for long range shooting

I sent a creedmoor out to a customer last week and his reports came back today. He hasn't had a group bigger than 1/2" and the best ones whilst working up a load were in the .1",s.

He reports high velocities with low pressures and is delighted with the calibre. He also has had 2 x .260,s and believes the Creedmoor beats them hands down.

I know what my next 6.5 will be.

It was never a problem from Midway. I,ve just ordered some from Edgars, time will tell.

It can be formed from various calibers easily however. The 22-250 case being the easiest I believe. Much the same way as I make 6xc brass from 22-250 when the need arises.

I sent a creedmoor out to a customer last week and his reports came back today. He hasn't had a group bigger than 1/2" and the best ones whilst working up a load were in the .1",s.

Well that sounds good, invite him you know where in September to show us all. ;)

Well that sounds good, invite him you know where in September to show us all. ;)

I will John. The guy is always up for this sort of shoot. Trouble is...he is an exceptional shot.

We've only just got shooting the new season at Diggle, and i just know he's going to kick my butt in practical class this year.

Archived